• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PART 2: The impeachment of President Donald Trump, from a liberal voter’s perspective.

Orlando PR

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
NOTE: read PART 1 before continuing.

A big percentage of voters in states were manufacturing plants were constantly been closed saw Hillary Clinton as a continuation of the policies that granted permissive leeway to companies who shipped their jobs overseas, policies that were enacted by previous administrations but didn’t were stopped by Barack Obama’s White House and the senate. So, even though Barack Obama’s policies weren’t deemed as illegal, certainly they were worse than what Donald Trump is been accused of in the impeachment trial.

Then we must address former President George W. Bush. Thousands of United States soldiers died because he, among several members of his administration, lied to us into believing that Saddam Hussein was building weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, to justify going to war with that country. At the end of the day no weapons were found. The consensus among a big percentage of the population is that it was a deliberate lie what we were told as the reasons for the Iraq War. Don’t get me wrong, I’m in favor of deposing all authoritarian leaders, but only if the new government will be fully democratic in terms of access to proper representation of ideas among political parties, protection of freedom of expression principles, and above all, secularism among the proceedings and policies that the new government of that country enacts. Separation of church and state, regardless of the main religion that is followed in said country, should be a must. Sadly this is not the case in Iraq. A President or Head of State that endangers frivolously the lives of the members of their armed forces, like George W. Bush did, should be labeled as a traitor to the nation. In my opinion, respectfully, former President George W. Bush, and several members of his administration, should have faced criminal charges, and been sentenced to life imprisonment for unnecessarily causing thousands of deaths and permanent disability of United States soldiers and military personnel.

Now onto former president William "Bill" J. Clinton. He signed trade agreements that facilitated the outsourcing of jobs that previously were performed by workers in the United States. To me that’s a betrayal of the oath that public elected officials are sworn to so they protect the well-being of the electorate they represent. Donald Trump is accused by Congress of an action that only directly would have affected one individual, Joe Biden. Bill Clinton’s trade agreements approvals affected thousands of American Citizens. Who behaved the worst? Then we have the issue of President Clinton’s apparent pact with the House Speaker at that time Newt Gingrich (R) to privatize Social Security and Medicare that ultimately was derailed by the scandal of his alleged extramarital affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. A head of state who puts the income and healthcare services payments of thousands of retired Americans in the hands of big hedge fund managers whose only goal is to make profits of financial transactions, often in controversial and questionable ways, should not be regarded as one with the best interest for the citizens in mind. Granted, the issues that I’ve discussed were approved by members of Congress at that time, so no legal action could have been taken against him, but these issues in my opinion clearly are worse than the reasons why Donald Trump is currently in a process of impeachment. A substantial amount of people on the left celebrate Bill Clinton’s legacy. On social issues we can say that he somewhat followed the liberal political philosophy. But on workers economic quality of life his legacy is highly tainted. Liberals, should be extremely careful of forgetting Clinton’s policies that ultimately have contributed to decimate the American manufacturing jobs sector.

So, even though I support the impeachment and removal from office of the current president of the United States, Donald J. Trump, I also believe that is an enormous act of hypocrisy that previous presidents were not subject to proper scrutiny by Congress for actions way worse than those Donald Trump is subjected to trial in the Senate of the United States.

Back
Top Bottom