• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paradox of Thrift

drz-400

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Interesting article I found on Paul Krugman's blog. It is written by Gauti Eggertsson from the New York Federal Reserve. He is calling our current economic situation, with zero-bound interest rates, a paradox of thrift. He says because of these zero-bound interest rates that certain policies by the government may have adverse effects on the economy. Here is the abstract:

Tax cuts can deepen a recession if the short-term nominal interest rate is zero, according to a standard New Keynesian business cycle model. An example of a contractionary tax cut is a reduction in taxes on wages. This tax cut deepens a recession because it increases deflationary pressures. Another example is a cut in capital taxes. This tax cut deepens a recession because it encourages people to save instead of spend at a time when more spending is needed. Fiscal policies aimed directly at stimulating aggregate demand work better. These policies include 1) a temporary increase in government spending; and 2) tax cuts aimed directly at stimulating aggregate demand rather than aggregate supply, such as an investment tax credit or a cut in sales taxes. The results are specific to an environment in which the interest rate is close to zero, as observed in large parts of the world today.
http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/staff_reports/sr402.pdf

I'll be honest, I have no idea what all the graphs and equations mean, but I found the papers intro and conclusion are readable.

I thought it was interest though, that his model did show a very large government spending multiplier, as opposed to a negative labor tax multiplier during times with a zero interest rate.

I also found his proposal for a national sales tax holiday interesting, although I am skeptical of what the actual results may be, as I would probobly not go rushing out the door to buy something just because the sales tax was gone for a day.

However, an increase in investment tax credits, such as for green energy, stock market investments, and so on seem like a great idea to me though.

Everyone says the solution to a flagging economy is to cut taxes, but they all want to cut the wrong taxes-- or worse, they advocate replacing all of our taxes with a sales tax.

Back
Top Bottom