• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Palace Intrigue; Kevin McCarthy’s quest for the Speaker’s Gavel

Trippy Trekker

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
To the Winners go the Spoils! Coming soon, confirmation the GOP flips the House. It remains unclear by what margin, beyond a disappointing one for the GOP.

Odds favor Kevin McCarthy becomes the next Speaker. What does he have to give up? Who takes the other key GOP spots, #2 Majority Leader, #3 Whip, #4?

Leadership meets tonight to set the stage for tomorrow’s vote. Few if anyone predicts McCarthy can garnish the necessary 218 votes on the first ballot. Predictions lean around 200+/-, leaving him short and in need to drum up the necessary extra votes.

Stay tuned!

Kevin McCarthy
Andy Biggs
Jim Jordan

hmmmmm dont all 3 support a national abortion ban and are anti-equal rights in one degree or another against LGBT

are any of them also big lie pushers?

very telling of where the GOP "CONGRESS" wants to go . . . fortunately many republicans do not agree and they are going to find that out the same way the red wave turned into pink spotting

Odds favor Kevin McCarthy becomes the next Speaker. What does he have to give up?

Certainly not his kneepads.

Who takes the other key GOP spots, #2 Majority Leader, #3 Whip, #4?

If Kevin McCarthy wants the job, he will have to agree on a Freedom Caucus demand for impeaching Joe Biden. The reason is immaterial.

You can bet the opportunistic and craven Rep. Elise Stefanik (NY) will be on the leadership podium.

Kevin McCarthy
Andy Biggs
Jim Jordan

hmmmmm dont all 3 support a national abortion ban and are anti-equal rights in one degree or another against LGBT

very telling of where the GOP "CONGRESS" wants to go . . . fortunately many republicans do not agree and they are going to find that out the same way the red wave turned into pink spotting
Yep. I can see Headline variations of “Another House Freedom Caucus Proposal fails to Gain Traction”.

Here's a thought. The Speaker position doesn't have to be an elected member of the House. He, she, or any trans person can be chosen by a simple majority vote. Why not chose Trump as Speaker of the House and watch the country go down the drain?

The Constitution does not require the speaker to be a member of the House of Representatives, although every speaker thus far has been. The speaker is second in the United States presidential line of succession, after the vice president and ahead of the president pro tempore of the Senate.

To the Winners go the Spoils! Coming soon, confirmation the GOP flips the House. It remains unclear by what margin, beyond a disappointing one for the GOP.

Odds favor Kevin McCarthy becomes the next Speaker. What does he have to give up? Who takes the other key GOP spots, #2 Majority Leader, #3 Whip, #4?

Leadership meets tonight to set the stage for tomorrow’s vote. Few if anyone predicts McCarthy can garnish the necessary 218 votes on the first ballot. Predictions lean around 200+/-, leaving him short and in need to drum up the necessary extra votes.

Stay tuned!
Where do you see the odds favoring McCarthy?

Where do you see the odds favoring McCarthy?
IMO, no other prospective GOP member can give McCarthy a good run for his money on the first ballot. I see him coming close, then assessing what he needs to do to close the deal on a second ballot. Then I see him doing what he needs to do because he really wants the gavel!

If not McCarthy, then who? Jim Jordan rises to the top. Steve Scalise seems set to take over #2 spot without a fight.

Did you read the linked article?

IMO, no other prospective GOP member can give McCarthy a good run for his money on the first ballot. I see him coming close, then assessing what he needs to do to close the deal on a second ballot. Then I see him doing what he needs to do because he really wants the gavel!
If not McCarthy, then who?
Jim Jordan rises to the top. Steve Scalise seems set to take over #2 spot without a fight.
tRump...
-Peace

If not McCarthy, then who? Jim Jordan rises to the top. Steve Scalise seems set to take over #2 spot without a fight.

No, but I'm following it pretty closely. I'd much rather see a D majority, but watching the R Speaker battle is going to be amusing. The good part is that McCarthy has already been weak as a speaker and there is no one that can get 218 on the first ballot.

Stay tuned!
They are going to have to offer concessions to the freedom caucus. Those guys want some investigations, Hunter Biden, Covid origins and handling, are probably the biggest ones. Then it's Afghanistan withdrawal, maybe some elections. But to get the Speaker's job, he will have to deal.

Kevin McCarthy
Andy Biggs
Jim Jordan

None of the above. You need 218 votes likely out of 219 or 220. None of those guys can get that kind of vote (McCarthy, maybe, but people have already said they will not vote for him, while Jordan is a complete clown). Even if they did, they would not be able to hold the gavel very long. The Republicans ran their last two speakers out of politics, and those speakers had a much larger majority. If its a Republican, its probably Steve Scalise. They could go outside

Remember, the 218 votes need not come from Republicans. There is an opportunity for someone that wants to be speaker to reach across the aisle and grab the votes they need from Democrats. Will they play ball? It depends, but the point being that do not assume the next speaker will get their with 218 Republican votes.

There is a really good chance that the Republicans don't really have enough votes to play all of the mindless games they had hoped to play. This would not only be good for the country, it will be good for them. I personally think part of the voter mandate here was to ask Washington to get serious about doing the people's business and knock off the games. If they play silly games, their thin majority will be lost in two years, if not before.

This is going to be the trickiest speakership in American history. I don't think anyone is up for the job. They may go through multiple speakers in two years.

I see no reason why a single D would vote for McCarthy. Why do you think they would?
To keep him in check....

They are going to have to offer concessions to the freedom caucus. Those guys want some investigations, Hunter Biden, Covid origins and handling, are probably the biggest ones. Then it's Afghanistan withdrawal, maybe some elections. But to get the Speaker's job, he will have to deal.
Yeah, we all have our Xmas list. We don't always get what we want.

Last edited:

Stay tuned!
All I know is between the palace intrigue and trump, I've been stocking up on popcorn and weed. Let the games begin.

Most of the crazies lost. MTG and Boebert made the cut, but I don't think they added too many new crazies. I can't see them choosing Biggs or even Jordan because both are unhinged. It's either McCarthy or some other spineless person with a palatable personality.

All I know is between the palace intrigue and trump, I've been stocking up on popcorn and weed. Let the games begin.

I have discovered that weed will get you through hard times and no money better than easy times with money and no weed.

I have decided on a new cause...

Since Marijuana is established as a medicine, I'm going to lead a move to make it free!

Later we can make it mandatory for teachers and police

Back
Top Bottom