• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Our government ENDORSES Islam?!

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hillary Clinton stated on behalf of the United States that "Islam is one of the great religions" and of the USA's admiration and respect for it.

What the hell is that?!

Does she and the US government also declare that Scientology and Pentacostal are "great religions?" Has she ratified that atheism is one of the "Great ideologies" according to the United States government?

Why doesn't she just shout "Praise Allah! There is only one God and Mohammed is his prophet" and put on a burka in submissiveness to the Mulahs on behalf of our government?

Her statement is totally out of line. Do you think Islam is "one of the great religions?" I am fairly confident that many Americans don't believe there is such a thing as a "great religion" and among those who think there is one, it isn't Islam.

She's just placating, and doesn't necessarily mean to imply that the official US position is that it's a great religion.

As for great religions, it depends on the context. It is a religion with a huge following, and for the vast majority of those who follow it, it probably serves as a positive force in their lives. The same can be said of virtually any world religion. It just depends on the individual, and which aspects of his religion he values.

What a level headed response, joko.

Clearly you have a problem with Islam, as you place it in the bin with other "distasteful" philosophies.

Come on back after you've taken a few deep breaths into a paper bag.

It's not Islam that is to blame first and foremost. Its the crazies it draws to it and act in its name. Not all those who follow islam are crazies, in fact, most aren't. But Islam, ideologically, is now where Christianity was about 900 years ago. Long before the start of the Renaissance movement and way, waaaaay before the Enlightenment movement. And the main spokespersons of Islam, which tend to be the crazies because they have the biggest mouths, keep Islam in that period and make the rest of the islamic population an easy target for discrimination. this in turn leads to the rest of the islamic population, which is targeted by said discrimination, to go closer to the islamic leadership and give it more power.... and thus, keeping the status quo.

It is nothing new really. This way of controlling a population has been around forever. The first example that comes to my mind, and the oldest abrahamic religion to have practiced this way of keeping people in line, was judaism in the time of Jesus Christ. The jewish religious leadership would use their money to bribe the romans who in turn would oppress the rest of the jews... who in turn would turn even more towards the jewish religious leadership and give them more power and money... who would use it to control the roman forces to do more oppression and gain more benefits for themselves... etc, endless cycle. Until Jesus came along, denounced the rabbis... got executed for it. Ofc, judaism has changed since then. It is now using a racial control mechanism not just a religious one. But w/e.

Islam is just going about the same thing. the same thing can be applied by everybody. Every group that you know which has spokesmen who pretend to speak for their entire constituency, whether they are part of it or not (Al sharpton, NCAA, black panthers, la raza, KKK, etc) uses isolated examples of retaliation against one of theirs by another group to bring more people within their ranks and gain more power and wealth.

This is a situation where a few empty political phrases can actually save lives. I don't consider any religion to be great, but I'd claim to love them all if needed to defuse a tense situation.

I don't believe that our government should endorse, refute, or criticize any religion in its entirety. Our only responsibility exists in condemning and responding to actions performed by radical factions that would seek to cause harm to others.

The difficulty is finding the appropriate means of creating such a response without exacerbating the existing threat. I would imagine that Hillary's statement is an attempt at finding those means. Can't fault her for the effort, but not exactly thrilled with the execution.

Hillary was merely stating a fact, not "endorsing," nor declaring her belief. So what? Can you be more nit-picky?

Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam are the world's great religions...fact.

I think she meant more along the lines of biggest and most influential religions with hundreds of millions of followers, like Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and probably Judaism although it's smaller. I don't think her statement was intended to be any sort of endorsement for Islam.

If she wasn't talking about Islam, would you have any problems?

Hilary's best fashion choice in my eyes would be a burka.

Just sayin'.

Islam is a wart on the butt of humanity and the followers are demented radicals who hate as a part of their dogma.

This is a blight on society and the stone age beliefs and actions of this group of barbarians is a danger to the rest of us.

There is nothing of positive note that this hate directed mob of killers and terrorists has, can or will do that can outweigh the despicable daily activities of the uneducated and deliberately ignorant mass of terror inspired hateful degenerates.

Pretending this society of hate is a force for good is like pretending a rabid pit bull is a good companion for your infant child.

I often hear this line of logic, but the simple truth is that the imagined moderate and reasonable Islamists are silent when the violet radicals are killing the innocent.

Silence indicates consent.

If she had been talking to a Western, civilized group, you may have a point. She was not. She was speaking to a stone age culture of hate and revenge that obeys force and interprets our actions as weakness.

Hillary was merely stating a fact, not "endorsing," nor declaring her belief. So what? Can you be more nit-picky?

Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam are the world's great religions...fact.

Four of these things belong together. One of these things just doesn't belong.

Is there any way in which including Islam in this group of religions could NOT be interpreted as an endorsement?

Islam has a whole bunch of people under it's control. That's what makes it a great religion. Sadly, for those of us who know them only by their works, they are a hate motivated, violent and exclusionary sect that seeks domination or death of any that do not energetically embrace it.

She was using the accepted term which is utilized when describing the three Abrahamic religions; Islam, Judaism, Christianity.

No endorsement. Nothing Official. Just the truth as accepted for the last last few centuries, worldwide.

Have you ever met a Muslim in person?

That is most definitely not the case. The religion is no doubt a positive force in the lives of many who practice it. The problem is that there is a loud and violent minority who also practice Islam, and for whatever reason, the rest are not able to reign them in. It is not a society of hate, but a society of, for the most part, regular people like you and I, who happen to practice a religion different from the majority religion in this part of the world.

Many of your messages are partisan political correctness only, meaning no consistency whatsoever.

I don't find the religion of Islam and the Koran "distasteful." I think it sucks, I always have since learning of it, have oft stated so, and find no reason not to do so.

Does that mean I despise all Muslims? Not at all. I used to know many (very) African-American Muslims, though none devotely religious and more in a sense of a cultural statement possibly.

As for those did this, the are among the most ignorant, bigoted and illiterate people on earth. The most danger of zealot sheeple. There is no rationality in this, they are just following commands. However, there is a tactic and it is a tactic that is working particularly with Obama. It is victory by a thousand cuts.

Obama has made it clear that he wants to be loved and believes if he is nice, he will be loved. The way to be nice in his view is to talk nice and give concessions. Yet only a fool understands that if the other side gives you concessions if you act like an asshole, then you can get more if you act worse - and that's what's just happened.

In response to attacking our embassy and murdering Americans and our ambassador, the President, his spokesman and his Secretary of State:
1. Made up an excuse for them (the movie).
2. Apologized on behalf of the government for a movie that did not revere their religion - though millions ridicule other religions.
3. Praised the religion being chanted by those who murdered out people and attacked our embassy.

I used to deal with a lot of truly ignorant men in the context of violence or potential violence. They only understand raw power/force and pleasure/ego. The way to keep them in line was to make it clear if they got out of line you'd beat the s... out of them and if they don't get out of line you won't.

The level of incompetence of Obama on this is stunning and this is Jimmy Carter and Iran. Obama has done a Jimmy Carter in Libya and Egypt and to lesser degrees other countries in the region - and now is reaction is even worse. As I read history, the moment Jimmy Carter was replaced by Reagan and president, the Iranians released the hostages.

And, if you recall history as I read it, the response to the bombing of the marines in Lebanon was to lob a bunch of 16 inch naval shells off the USS Missouri into the towns where people were in the streets cheering the our Marine's deaths. They quieted up. Just like Gaddafy never bothered us again after Reagan bombed his house missing him but killing of his sons.

The topic is...

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON THE RELIGION OF ISLAM AS A RELIGION?

That is the perfectly politically correct response. Because, as you put it, in your opinion "many" women - a couple hundred million or so - benefit by being treated as cattle - or worse - and generally freedom of religion and freedom from religion is a bad thing for most people in Islamic theocracies. That's the reality of what you wrote.

But what do you think about the actual tenants and doctrines of the religion of Islam?

No, it's a response based on personal experience. The religion itself is backwards, according to western standards, but there are many people who practice it, and who may not meet our own expectations, but are fulfilled and content with it, and are kind and decent people. If you are raised in an Islamic culture, it is your way of life, and it's nothing you view as restrictive or binding in the least. You and I have the luxury of looking from the outside, but whatever culture and religion one is raised in, is considered favorable, if it has a positive effect on you.
The place where I work looks like to UN, based on the wide variety of cultures and national origins represented there. A large percentage of those people are Muslims, and with the exception of their being a little uptight and more reserved, compared to those of us who are US natives, you would barely notice a difference.

I often hear this line of logic, but the simple truth is that the imagined moderate and reasonable Islamists are silent when the violet radicals are killing the innocent.

Silence indicates consent.

You mean muslims ?!
I could tell you that killing the innocent is completely against islam and muslims larnynges ! have been inflammed from stating that but the Q is: What's your source that they are silent !

Have you ever met a Muslim in person?

I knew several when i was in school. Absent from the culture that contoled them, some "Americanized" and others seemed to be elitists despises Americans.

The culture, though, is the problem, not the individuals. While it is individuals who fly planes into buildings, kill their daughters for wearing short skirts or mutilate teen genitals, it is the culture that guides this.

There are believers to be accepted and outsiders who are less than human.

Well, that explains why we have to worry about the attacks of the many Episcopalian suicide bombers.

Fascism had a huge following at a certain point in our history, following the logic of some people in this thread, american politicans could have spoke about "one of the greatest ideologies" at the time. I don't see the need to make a big fuss about Hilary's statement, but I sure as hell don't have to like it. I don't.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…