• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ontario campus had facial recognition in vending machines

Chock Full o Nuts

Voting for Pedro!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The issue was flagged by students on a Reddit forum earlier this month, when someone posted a photo of one of the machines displaying an error message apparently related to a facial recognition program.

The machines' operator, Adaria Vending Services, told the publication MathNews the technology acts as a motion sensor to know when to activate the screen for purchases.
Well, a proximity sensor could do that. No need for FR to flush a toilet. Or is there! :oops: ;)
Invenda, meanwhile, told the publication the machines don't engage in “storage, communication, or transmission of any imagery or personally identifiable information.”
The article notes, however, that a FAQ from Invenda says “only the final data, namely presence of person, estimated age and estimated gender, is collected without any association with an individual.”
But why?.. It's a vending machine. You know what's selling and what is not based on your restocking and can adjust accordingly.
That's really all you need to know.

But why?.. It's a vending machine. You know what's selling and what is not based on your restocking and can adjust accordingly.
Well, you might want to know who is vandalizing the machine.

Reminds me of overdoing a product...which really doesn't do much. Example. >>
80 years ago kitchen blenders had usually 4 speeds. Low, fold, medium, fast/whip.
Now some of them have 12 speed. WTF! "OMG honey, you ruined my drink ...I usually set it on #8...you put it on #9...sob..sob.. :) :)

Well, a proximity sensor could do that. No need for FR to flush a toilet. Or is there! :oops: ;)

"The machines' operator, Adaria Vending Services, told the publication MathNews..."
MathNews? There's math news?

They could have went with that excuse.
But I'd say there are probably security cameras around that would cover that base if need be.
The school was in Canada. There aren't anywhere near as many "security cameras" in Canadian schools as there are in American schools. Admittedly the ratio is higher than the relative proportion of armed guards stalking the corridors and grounds is, but it's still hardly a patch on the ratio per student in American schools.

The school was in Canada. There aren't anywhere near as many "security cameras" in Canadian schools as there are in American schools. Admittedly the ratio is higher than the relative proportion of armed guards stalking the corridors and grounds is, but it's still hardly a patch on the ratio per student in American schools.
Regardless, there is no reason to need FR on a vending machine.
And no one had a clue if it weren't for that damn error message giving it up!
Screenshot_20240229_123910_Chrome.jpg
I wonder how many started getting ads for Lay's chips on their FB or whatever after buying a bag?

Regardless, there is no reason to need FR on a vending machine.
And no one had a clue if it weren't for that damn error message giving it up!
View attachment 67495511
I wonder how many started getting ads for Lay's chips on their FB or whatever after buying a bag?
<SARC>Hey, the vending machine company obviously thought that there was a "reason". That "reason" most likely had something to do with increasing profits. Increasing profits is what capitalism is all about. Capitalism is what made America great. Are you one of those commies who wants to destroy America by telling companies what they can (or can not) do in order to increase their profits?</SARC>

Back
Top Bottom