• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Old age insurance?

Allow me to clarify.

I am not a financial planner. I go to one whom I trust.

For years I put money into a TSA diversified portfolio account. That money has grown, and is currently growing at an average of 10%. Since this is a diversified portfolio, the average means that some are growing faster, others slower.

Naturally, when the stock market hit the recession, my portfolio lost money. It has since made it up.

Since I am nearing retirement age, I have rolled this account over into an annuity. I was able to pick an option in which my money doesn't grow quite so fast, but I am guaranteed 5% of the money every year for the rest of my life. Since I've opted to wait another couple of years, that 5% will increase. Naturally, if the account continues to increase at a 10% rate, I'll be able to collect more, but I can't go below 5%.

Should I live to be 120, I will still be taking money out, even though the original amount will no doubt be gone by then.

Should I die young (well, relatively. It's too late for me to really die young now), then whatever is left after the payout goes to my estate.

To me, that sounds like "old age insurance." I am insured an income should I live past normal life expectancy.

Since my family has a history of longevity, I'm planning to collect everything and more.

Allow me to clarify.

I am not a financial planner. I go to one whom I trust.

For years I put money into a TSA diversified portfolio account. That money has grown, and is currently growing at an average of 10%. Since this is a diversified portfolio, the average means that some are growing faster, others slower.

Naturally, when the stock market hit the recession, my portfolio lost money. It has since made it up.

Since I am nearing retirement age, I have rolled this account over into an annuity. I was able to pick an option in which my money doesn't grow quite so fast, but I am guaranteed 5% of the money every year for the rest of my life. Since I've opted to wait another couple of years, that 5% will increase. Naturally, if the account continues to increase at a 10% rate, I'll be able to collect more, but I can't go below 5%.

Should I live to be 120, I will still be taking money out, even though the original amount will no doubt be gone by then.

Should I die young (well, relatively. It's too late for me to really die young now), then whatever is left after the payout goes to my estate.

To me, that sounds like "old age insurance." I am insured an income should I live past normal life expectancy.

Since my family has a history of longevity, I'm planning to collect everything and more.

Sounds very nice. Good job with that! Here's hoping you do indeed collect everything and more!

Back
Top Bottom