• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ohio lawmaker to propose ban on GOP adoption

Deegan said:
That is assuming that only Republicans have a homophobia issue, that could not be more ridiculous, or inaccurate.
But when you see the homophobic laws being pushed, then it is virtually certain that republicans are behind them. THAT is the difference. So when you call somebody "divisive" be sure to point at the right people next time. :mad: (Yeah, they didn't have a smilie with the finger)

steen said:
Then stop the wrongs being pushed by the conservatives.

Of course it is. It is flagrant bigotry, it is hate mongering Civil War mongering.
An open minded person can agree to disagree. I think that it's ok to let gays adopt, but I don't call people bigots merely because I disagree with them. It's a debatable issue. There are areas where reasonable people differ, and this is one of them. I don't think that homosexual conduct is necessarily immoral. If someone does, that doesn't mean that they hate gays. I think that lieing is immoral, but I don't hate people who lie. Accusing someone of hatred can be as bad as hatred, and your comment is an example of that.

Even if it was as bad as you say it is, do you at least agree that two wrongs don't make a right, or do you think that it's ok to hate someone after you accuse them of hatred? This is just titt for tatt. Where does it go next, a ban on Democrat adoption?

steen said:
But when you see the homophobic laws being pushed, then it is virtually certain that republicans are behind them. THAT is the difference. So when you call somebody "divisive" be sure to point at the right people next time. :mad: (Yeah, they didn't have a smilie with the finger)

Again, this is not a one party issue, when are you going to realize this?

Democrats, and Republicans a like differ on this issue, and both have been polled, and the majority have a problem with both gay marriage, and gay adoption! Bill Clinton set the standard in his term, where the hell were you? This is an American problem, and pointing fingers gets us no where, only serves to divide us further. You're wrong on this, just realize this, and work harder to change the current view on this, I know I am willing to help, you're just out to paint me as hateful, I refuse to wear that label!

mpg said:
An open minded person can agree to disagree. I think that it's ok to let gays adopt, but I don't call people bigots merely because I disagree with them. It's a debatable issue. There are areas where reasonable people differ, and this is one of them.
However, when it ends up as a law against them adopting, then it is bigotry.

I don't think that homosexual conduct is necessarily immoral. If someone does, that doesn't mean that they hate gays. I think that lieing is immoral, but I don't hate people who lie. Accusing someone of hatred can be as bad as hatred, and your comment is an example of that.
But when a party passes laws targeted specifically at homosexuals for no good reason other than bigotry, then there is a problem, isn't there? After all, if you can legislate subjective morality, then the question is WHOSE morality gets to rule.

Even if it was as bad as you say it is, do you at least agree that two wrongs don't make a right,
Absolutely. But I also feel that speaking out against the second "wrong" without doing something about the initial wrong, or even seeking to minimize and denying it, that is MUCH worse. When somebody claim that only the second wrong is "divisive," then that very much gets my attention.

or do you think that it's ok to hate someone after you accuse them of hatred? This is just titt for tatt. Where does it go next, a ban on Democrat adoption?
I wouldn't be surprised. Anybody who can initiate a law against homosexual adoption with no reason other than "I don't like homosexuals" would also be able to push such laws against anybody else they disapprove off.

But no, it is not OK to hate others or try to oppress them or disciriminate against them. The ONLY thing you get out of a "culture war" is a civil "war" of some kind or another. THAT is divisive.

Deegan said:
Again, this is not a one party issue, when are you going to realize this?
I understand that all political persuasions have homophobes. But YOU are minimizing the REALITY that the anti-homosexual laws of all stripes are mainly a republican phenomenon. THEY are the ones who are pushing the "culture war." Your denial of this is disturbing.

Democrats, and Republicans a like differ on this issue, and both have been polled, and the majority have a problem with both gay marriage, and gay adoption!
Sure they do, and both sides are falling for bigotry and hate mongering.

Bill Clinton set the standard in his term, where the hell were you?
I have several letters on file in the Clinton Whitehouse as per my position, including the scientific data foundation for these. The same info was sent to my senators and congress person as well as the state reps. And every time I see attempts at bigotry, I fight it, regardless of the source.

This is an American problem, and pointing fingers gets us no where, only serves to divide us further.
Ah, but YOU decided to point fingers, and ONLY at the one who passed a contrary law. THAT is what I can not accept, the hypocrisy of somebody objecting against the demonstrating against bigotry without also condemning the original bigotry. Which do you think is most divisive? The bill directed against republicans, or the republican bill hat started the whole thing?

Well, that was a silly question, as you only attacked the democratic bill. It is obvious that you only consern yourself with divisiveness from the democratic side. :mad: (again, add the finger in per your own imagination).

You're wrong on this, just realize this,
We are both wrong, but YOU are the one who choose to display the incredible hypocrisy of attacking only the democratic counter bill, while trying to claim that the Republican bill is not a problem, and a problem way outside of just one local bigot.

and work harder to change the current view on this, I know I am willing to help,
perhaps you could do so by not being divisive YOURSELF!!!!

you're just out to paint me as hateful, I refuse to wear that label!
No, I am calling you on your hypocrisy, which you so far have refused to acknowledge, and I am calling you on your attempt to minimize the overwhelmingly republican-caused attacks on homosexual rights.

steen said:
I understand that all political persuasions have homophobes. But YOU are minimizing the REALITY that the anti-homosexual laws of all stripes are mainly a republican phenomenon. THEY are the ones who are pushing the "culture war." Your denial of this is disturbing.

Sure they do, and both sides are falling for bigotry and hate mongering.

I have several letters on file in the Clinton Whitehouse as per my position, including the scientific data foundation for these. The same info was sent to my senators and congress person as well as the state reps. And every time I see attempts at bigotry, I fight it, regardless of the source.

Ah, but YOU decided to point fingers, and ONLY at the one who passed a contrary law. THAT is what I can not accept, the hypocrisy of somebody objecting against the demonstrating against bigotry without also condemning the original bigotry. Which do you think is most divisive? The bill directed against republicans, or the republican bill hat started the whole thing?

Well, that was a silly question, as you only attacked the democratic bill. It is obvious that you only consern yourself with divisiveness from the democratic side. :mad: (again, add the finger in per your own imagination).

We are both wrong, but YOU are the one who choose to display the incredible hypocrisy of attacking only the democratic counter bill, while trying to claim that the Republican bill is not a problem, and a problem way outside of just one local bigot.

perhaps you could do so by not being divisive YOURSELF!!!!

No, I am calling you on your hypocrisy, which you so far have refused to acknowledge, and I am calling you on your attempt to minimize the overwhelmingly republican-caused attacks on homosexual rights.

Read my post again, #7 and then you can apologize, because there is no "hypocrisy" Both tallou, and myself agreed from the on set of this, that neither agreed with this ridiculous bill, on either side.

I have to ask, are you bored, or are you just trying to ensue my wrath?

As an Ohioan, all I can say is that if you look at the state of the Ohio republican party, especially Bob Taft (who's approval rating was once at 6%, and now hovers around 16%) and the people around him (Jim Petro), this type of legislation would probably be very practical. All satire aside.

Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to use this website yet.

However, when it ends up as a law against them adopting, then it is bigotry.

It's not bigotry. That's a wild accusation. Can you disagree with someone without attacking them?

But when a party passes laws targeted specifically at homosexuals for no good reason other than bigotry, then there is a problem, isn't there? After all, if you can legislate subjective morality, then the question is WHOSE morality gets to rule.

What's wrong with majority rule?

Absolutely. But I also feel that speaking out against the second "wrong" without doing something about the initial wrong, or even seeking to minimize and denying it, that is MUCH worse. When somebody claim that only the second wrong is "divisive," then that very much gets my attention.

Fair enough, but in this case, the "second wrong" was the only wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised. Anybody who can initiate a law against homosexual adoption with no reason other than "I don't like homosexuals" would also be able to push such laws against anybody else they disapprove off.

Who are you quoting when you say "I don't like homosexuals"? They're not pushing laws against people that they disapprove of, unless you think that every law does that. They're passing laws against things that they disapprove of. Stealing is illegal because people disapprove of stealing. It's not illegal because people disapprove of thieves.

But no, it is not OK to hate others or try to oppress them or disciriminate against them. The ONLY thing you get out of a "culture war" is a civil "war" of some kind or another. THAT is divisive.

I agree.

You responded to my comments without addressing them, so I'll ask you again. Why are you accusing these people of hatred and bigotry? Are you using it as a debating technique to discredit people that you disagree with? Unless the people that you're referring to admitted to this hatred, then you're claiming to be a mind reader.

This bill is sooooo obviously partisan demagoguery. It's not as if the Dems support gay adoption.

Deegan said:
Read my post again, #7 and then you can apologize, because there is no "hypocrisy" Both tallou, and myself agreed from the on set of this, that neither agreed with this ridiculous bill, on either side.

I have to ask, are you bored, or are you just trying to ensue my wrath?
****. Damn. F%%$ing hell. You are right. What you spoke out against was the republican law, and I couldn't read.

You are right, I maligned you for no good reason, against what you actually did. My sincerest appologies:( :3oops:

I was utterly and completely wrong here, nd it seems like I didn't bother reading your post carefully enough. Again, I am sorry. I'll go away now (Slinks out of the tread)

steen said:
****. Damn. F%%$ing hell. You are right. What you spoke out against was the republican law, and I couldn't read.

You are right, I maligned you for no good reason, against what you actually did. My sincerest appologies:( :3oops:

I was utterly and completely wrong here, nd it seems like I didn't bother reading your post carefully enough. Again, I am sorry. I'll go away now (Slinks out of the tread)

Not a problem sir, I should have directed you to my initial post straight away, but you have a way of bringing out the best of me!;)

Back
Top Bottom