• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ohio board stands by disqualification of transgender candidate, despite others being allowed to run

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A county board in Ohio has refused to reconsider the disqualification of a transgender state House candidate who omitted her former name from circulating petitions, even as other transgender candidates have been cleared for the ballot.

The Stark County Board of Elections said in a statement Friday that it stands by its decision to disqualify Vanessa Joy, a real estate photographer from Massillon, Ohio, because she did not put a name that no longer aligns with her gender identity — also referred to as a deadname — on the petitions used to gather signatures to get on the ballot. State law mandates that candidates disclose any name changes from the past five years on their petitions, with exemptions for changes resulting from marriage.

The law, meant to weed out bad actors, is unknown even to many elections officials, and it isn’t listed in the 33-page candidate requirement guide. Additionally, there is no space on the petitions to list former names.

Joy said she’s frustrated by the county board’s decision and that, for now, her campaign is over. However, she said she is working with an attorney to try to change the law to be more inclusive of transgender candidates who don’t want to disclose their previous names for personal safety reasons, among others.
==================================================
Me, O, me, Oh myo, why did I leave Ohio?

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A county board in Ohio has refused to reconsider the disqualification of a transgender state House candidate who omitted her former name from circulating petitions, even as other transgender candidates have been cleared for the ballot.

The Stark County Board of Elections said in a statement Friday that it stands by its decision to disqualify Vanessa Joy, a real estate photographer from Massillon, Ohio, because she did not put a name that no longer aligns with her gender identity — also referred to as a deadname — on the petitions used to gather signatures to get on the ballot. State law mandates that candidates disclose any name changes from the past five years on their petitions, with exemptions for changes resulting from marriage.

The law, meant to weed out bad actors, is unknown even to many elections officials, and it isn’t listed in the 33-page candidate requirement guide. Additionally, there is no space on the petitions to list former names.

Joy said she’s frustrated by the county board’s decision and that, for now, her campaign is over. However, she said she is working with an attorney to try to change the law to be more inclusive of transgender candidates who don’t want to disclose their previous names for personal safety reasons, among others.
No surprise to me. Ohio, after all, has foisted Gym Jordan on to the nation. Ohio is the state that denied an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim.

Our MAGA politicos are nasty cult members who will do whatever they can to force their "values" on everyone stuck in this state. Or visiting the state.

well, that sucks for Vanessa, but it makes sense and is evenly applied...

oh except no wait no it doesn't that's stupid and the State is definitely responsible for this F/Up in this case, and it's kind of amazing this hasn't come up before - people change their names.

The highlighted fact sets up a very obvious judicial appeal. You cannot obey a law that is not known to the electron officials, is not included in the documents and lacks a place to put the candidate's former name on the petition.

The highlighted fact sets up a very obvious judicial appeal. You cannot obey a law that is not known to the electron officials, is not included in the documents and lacks a place to put the name on the petition.
Ohio GOPers aren't concerned about legal niceties.

No surprise to me. Ohio, after all, has foisted Gym Jordan on to the nation. Ohio is the state that denied an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim.

Our MAGA politicos are nasty cult members who will do whatever they can to force their "values" on everyone stuck in this state. Or visiting the state.
I lived in Cleveland. That's where the Cuyahoga River cleaves the land in two.

The courts are concerned.
I'm glad, but this is the state whose Republican politicians resort to shady tricks.

I'm sure, too, that they are well aware that DeSantis has gotten away with disregarding unfavorable rulings from Florida state courts.

I'm glad, but this is the state whose Republican politicians resort to shady tricks.

I'm sure, too, that they are well aware that DeSantis has gotten away with disregarding unfavorable rulings from Florida state courts.
I'm very aware of what the GOP has done to this state.

The courts are certainly concerned.

East or west side?
W150th St. My office was on the E side but I flew on trips often so lived near Hopkins Apt.

The highlighted fact sets up a very obvious judicial appeal. You cannot obey a law that is not known to the electron officials, is not included in the documents and lacks a place to put the candidate's former name on the petition.
Ignorance of the law is usually not a valid excuse, even if you can't locate it.

Ignorance of the law is usually not a valid excuse, even if you can't locate it.
You logically cannot obey a law whose existence is willfully hidden from you. Not even the members of the county Board of Election were aware of the law.

Last edited:
W150th St. My office was on the E side but I flew on trips often so lived near Hopkins Apt.
I know the area. South of Lakewood and north of Linndale.

Ignorance of the law is not a defense for breaking the law.
You logically cannot obey a law whose existence is willfully hidden from you. Not even the members of the county Board of Election were aware of the law.
“Willfully” would imply you think the State acted maliciously to prohibit Ms. Joy from running. This is not supported by the linked article.

I would guarantee you aren’t aware of every law. That does not mean you can break those laws. Even in this case, where the fault clearly lies on the state (and undisputedly so), the State must uphold the law (whether they agree with it or not).

Ignorance of the law is not a defense for breaking the law.

Not even the Board of Elections at the county level were aware of the law, so yes this is malicious. There is no place on the candidate paperwork to even put this information, so if she did put it there the paperwork would be thrown out for not being submitted properly.
“Willfully” would imply you think the State acted maliciously to prohibit Ms. Joy from running. This is not supported by the linked article.

I would guarantee you aren’t aware of every law. That does not mean you can break those laws. Even in this case, where the fault clearly lies on the state (and undisputedly so), the State must uphold the law (whether they agree with it or not).
You cannot comply with a law that you arent told you need to comply with or is willfully hidden from you.

well, that sucks for Vanessa, but it makes sense and is evenly applied...

oh except no wait no it doesn't that's stupid and the State is definitely responsible for this F/Up in this case, and it's kind of amazing this hasn't come up before - people change their names.

Is it?

"...even as other transgender candidates have been cleared for the ballot."

Lol, right. Because 4 members of one counties election board = all of Ohio. :rolleyes:

Lol, right. Because 4 members of one counties election board = all of Ohio. :rolleyes:
Do I need to remind you of the actions of Larry Householder, Mike DeWine, Dave Yost, and Frank laRose?

Do I need to remind you of the actions of Larry Householder, Mike DeWine, Dave Yost, and Frank laRose?
Or Frank Russo, Jimmy Dimora or James Trafficant.

Not even the Board of Elections at the county level were aware of the law, so yes this is malicious. There is no place on the candidate paperwork to even put this information, so if she did put it there the paperwork would be thrown out for not being submitted properly.

You cannot comply with a law that you arent told you need to comply with or is willfully hidden from you.
Just because a law is obscure doesn’t mean someone purposefully hid the law. No where in the linked articles did I see claims that this law is being upheld out of malice. Please substantiate the claim county officials barred her from campaigning for any reason other than the law. She’ll get another chance to run for office, and the law will probably either be changed or made clearer.

What sort of defense would “I didn’t know it was illegal” be? How would the court be able to prove an individual’s knowledge one way or another? The law must apply to everyone, even if you are not aware of it.

Just because a law is obscure doesn’t mean someone purposefully hid the law. No where in the linked articles did I see claims that this law is being upheld out of malice. Please substantiate the claim county officials barred her from campaigning for any reason other than the law. She’ll get another chance to run for office, and the law will probably either be changed or made clearer.

What sort of defense would “I didn’t know it was illegal” be? How would the court be able to prove an individual’s knowledge one way or another? The law must apply to everyone, even if you are not aware of it.
There is no rational reason for the law to exist then as a way to disenfranchise transgender candidates by outing them to conservative voters who would then not support them. The fact that they are transgender doesn't mean that they cannot do the job or they should not be denied having their policy ideas heard by the electorate and considered ion an equal basis, instead of trying to shame them because of a medical condition.

Back
Top Bottom