• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Offended by a friendly greeting?

"The idea of bringing the evergreen into the house represents fertility and new life in the darkness of winter, which was much more of the pagan themes," Dr Dominique Wilson from the University of Sydney said
The Christmas tree: From pagan origins and Christian symbolism to secular status - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Evergreen trees and plants have been used to celebrate winter festivals for thousands of years, long before the advent of Christianity.
lol....jesus. Now lefties are changing it to an evergreen tree.

"The idea of bringing the evergreen into the house represents fertility and new life in the darkness of winter, which was much more of the pagan themes," Dr Dominique Wilson from the University of Sydney said
The Christmas tree: From pagan origins and Christian symbolism to secular status - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Evergreen trees and plants have been used to celebrate winter festivals for thousands of years, long before the advent of Christianity.

That is correct.
I know about all this.

But I still see no reason to change "Christmas Tree" into "Winter Tree" because of it.

Nice....whats the hitch weight on your F150?

What you mean is what is the max towing capacity by cab size which is how it is rated...
5,000 pounds since I have a single cab sized truck. I have owned trucks since I was teen since I use them to make money....Anymore neurotic instances I can help yous wit?

That is correct.
I know about all this.

But I still see no reason to change "Christmas Tree" into "Winter Tree" because of it.

It is what people want make out of it since it is just symbolism for the cause...I myself refuse to cut down any of my trees for a festival.

On December 3, 2004, Fox News’ now-defunct The O’Reilly Factor debuted a recurring segment called “Christmas Under Siege.” Though Christmas was not and has never been “under siege” in any meaningful way, disgraced former host Bill O’Reilly and Fox were set on pushing this victimization narrative, laying the groundwork for what became known as the “War on Christmas.” In the 15 years since, onlookers watched the very concept of objective reality fracture along political lines. Consumers of conservative media drifted ever deeper into a world where a school’s nonexistent ban on red and green clothing became national news and paranoid delusions were freely floated about a future in which people may be prohibited from displaying Christmas decorations.
A War on Christmas Story: How Fox News built the dumbest part of America's culture war | Media Matters for America

This year Trump tried to claim that there is a war on Thanksgiving..
Before we inevitably arrive at the alleged war on Christmas this holiday season, we’ve first got to tackle the … war on Thanksgiving? Which is supposedly a thing now, too. At least according to President Donald Trump.

Conservative media and some Republicans have for years claimed that Christmas is under attack, turning some people’s decision to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” during the month of December into a culture war touchstone to try to spark outrage on the right. Trump has embraced the “war on Christmas” narrative, and now he’s taking it a step further: he’s claiming liberals are out to get Thanksgiving, too.

War on Thanksgiving: Trump falsely says liberals want to rename holiday - Vox

It's all a bunch of propaganda from the republicans

Figures that the fake victimization started on fox. I was even watching fox back then. I must have missed it, or my idiot filter erased it.

Where in the Bible does it state that the fir tree was a symbol of the birth of Christ?

The Bible does not mention Christmas Cookies either.
No Springerle or Hldabrötle.
Does that mean that true Christians are not allowed to enjoy Christmas Cookies?
Or that they should be re-named "Winter Cookies"?
Or "Holiday Cookies"?

What you mean is what is the max towing capacity by cab size which is how it is rated...
5,000 pounds since I have a single cab sized truck. I have owned trucks since I was teen since I use them to make money....Anymore neurotic instances I can help yous wit?

hahahha no I meant hitch weight. Every truck owner knows it. You are no truck owner...and 5000lbs is that with a tow package? lol

Figures that the fake victimization started on fox. I was even watching fox back then. I must have missed it, or my idiot filter erased it.

I missed out because I was working all the time, now, I wish I could work...It is not amazing how political pundits on TV have to create a crisis to keep people on their channel, I find it annoying and distasteful when lies have to be fabricated to make up for the lack of viewership But I find that people that are easily duped into believing this crap actually defend it to their last breathe especially annoying..

That is correct. I know about all this. But I still see no reason to change "Christmas Tree" into "Winter Tree" because of it.

I see no reason to get panties in a wad over this... second amendment and all of that... :peace

hahahha no I meant hitch weight. Every truck owner knows it. You are no truck owner...and 5000lbs is that with a tow package? lol

You may think as you like since a Prius would hardly navigate the rough roads and hills I live amongst in the Ozark Mountains...

Hitch weight is the amount of weight a travel trailer's tongue places on the hitch it is mounted to. Any individual who is contemplating buying a camper should be aware of the weight of the camper and the towing capabilities of their tow vehicle

Considering I never tow anything I doubt I need to know.

All of this because you can't stay on topic....

I missed out because I was working all the time, now, I wish I could work...It is not amazing how political pundits on TV have to create a crisis to keep people on their channel, I find it annoying and distasteful when lies have to be fabricated to make up for the lack of viewership But I find that people that are easily duped into believing this crap actually defend it to their last breathe especially annoying..

There's good money in selling tribal division. Sorry that you aren't able to work like back then.

There's good money in selling tribal division. Sorry that you aren't able to work like back then.

We all get old and decrepit it is as life is. And as a photojournalist I abhor the use of tribal divisions for anything.

You may think as you like since a Prius would hardly navigate the rough road and hills I live amongst in the Ozark Mountains...

Hitch weight is the amount of weight a travel trailer's tongue places on the hitch it is mounted to. Any individual who is contemplating buying a camper should be aware of the weight of the camper and the towing capabilities of their tow vehicle

Considering I never tow anything I doubt I need to know.

hahahhhahahah some lifelong truck owner!

They have found yet another excuse to claim victim status.

nope

victim status already taken by the 'war on Christmas', 'war on Christianity' crowd

We all get old and decrepit it is as life is. And as a photojournalist I abhor the use of tribal divisions for anything.

I love photography. You probably know tons more about it than I do, but I've dabbled.

1. I cannot answer your question. 2. But I can tell foreign visitors that they should be very careful, for some Americans are easily offended by anything. 3. For example, some people (usually men) are offended if another person (usually a man) opens the door for them. a. Maybe the offended person feels that the door opener considers him to be less than a man.b. Maybe the offended person feels that the door opener is being condescending. 4. Also, it is sometimes NOT a good idea to use a foreign word or words to another person. a. For example, one should not say "Gracias [thank you]" to an English-speaking Hispanic person, lest the latter think that you are being condescending or even sarcastic. 5. Foreign visitors should remember that the States is a very, well, "unique" country with a lot of very sensitive people (because of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, religion, etc.). So always be very careful.

Where THE HELL do you live??? Can't be the real world.... :doh

I open the door quite often for whoever is approaching from the other side, hold it for anyone following behind me- have yet to have ONE person- man, woman, not certain sexual identity has been offended... :roll:

I have yet to offend anyone by using a word or two in another language- who are these people you speak to??? I said Feliz Navidad to hundreds of people one day, rather nice Hispanic community here- NOT ONE was offended.... again where do you live???? I use Jefe, amigo and amiga routinely and to this day NO ONE has been offended.

If this is your world view perhaps you should stay under your rock... it is where you feel the most secure and won't run into contradictions.... :peace

I live in very liberal Los Angeles.

If you ever visit here, you may find that some of the people here have different attitudes from those in Oklahoma.

By the way, it is possible that you may have, in fact, offended some people, but they were too polite to tell you.

Have a nice day!

I cannot understand how anybody could be OFFENDED (!) by a friendly greeting. Such as "Merry Christmas". Or others. If somebody wished me "Happy Ramadan" or "Happy Chanukka!" or "Happy Holi!" or "Happy Diwali!" etc etc in a friendly way, I would not be offended in the least. What happens in the mind of those who are "offended" by the "wrong" greeting?

I dunno, perhaps you should ask those who start the 'war of Christmas' threads claiming saying 'Happy Holidays' or Season's Greetings' makes baby Jesus cry... :peace

I live in very liberal Los Angeles. If you ever visit here, you may find that some of the people here have different attitudes from those in Oklahoma. By the way, it is possible that you may have, in fact, offended some people, but they were too polite to tell you. Have a nice day!

Kinda soft soaping this a bit ain't ya??? It's been a few years but my wife worked for Northup Grumman and moved 'her' computer from Titusville FL. to there. I didn't run into any of this, in fact if I spoke a few words I got a grinning flood of Spanglish and a good laugh when they realized I only knew a few words... ;)

So you have this happen enough to see it as a trend and not a one-off???

(You do know that claiming people might be secretly offended is pretty silly- right???)

Just an FYI Lawton OK is a military town, folks from EVERY part of the USofA are here, it is a major basic training so relatives from every corner of the country are here- try driving around here and you will know this ain't Oklahoma! Believe me I meet all types here and have yet to have ANYONE bitch about my manner of expression- most report me as a compliment- to include the ones with an incredible Hispanic accent...

Maybe they just don't like your face... :peace

I cannot understand how anybody could be OFFENDED (!) by a friendly greeting.
Such as "Merry Christmas". Or others.

If somebody wished me "Happy Ramadan" or "Happy Chanukka!" or "Happy Holi!" or "Happy Diwali!" etc etc in a friendly way, I would not be offended in the least.

What happens in the mind of those who are "offended" by the "wrong" greeting?

What happens in the minds of those who are "offended" just because a complete stranger gets "offended" when they are greeted with a religious holiday celebration?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom