• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

So either this is unsolvable, or the President has no effect on these issues.

I couldn't care less what you have to say. Continue in spewing your irrationality. Don't care.
Your really ARE in your own little world - aren't you?
Fact of the matter, you know there's no way to dispute the content of my posts - and so you won't even try.
Keep on defending The Obama - your masters are proud!

You would do humanity a favor by decomposing. Your body is truly more valuable than your mind.

Uhm I asked you when the buck stops with Obama, This is not an answer.

Who knows what will happen. But the fact that you are typing on a computer in a controlled society is thanks to that man.

Really? So without Obama we would have reduced ourselves to an anarchic state, one without any computers? :lamo

So either this is unsolvable, or the President has no effect on these issues.

It's not that it's unsolvable or that the President can't have an effect. It's more to do with the fact that everyone has slumped down into partisan politics and are playing to protect their party instead of the Republic. In theory, this could have been solved a long time ago and Obama could have had some amount of effect. But they don't move in a direction that would actually solve it. Both sides are just posturing and pointing fingers. As I said, I would expect that at the last minute they'll try to actually pass something to try to save face. Both sides will claim victory and then attack the other side for obstructionist behavior.

You would do humanity a favor by decomposing. Your body is truly more valuable than your mind.
The ad hom - final refuge of those that cannot make or defend a point.

What I find truly ghastly is that the proposals they have - $2T/10 yrs, $4T/10 years - are so incredibly inconsequential across the greater scheme.
We need something on the order of $10T/10 yrs to have any real effect.

Last edited:
Moderator's Warning:
Stop talking about each other and start talking about the thread topic, or go find yourselves another thread to crap all over.

:roll:
The Obama is unwilling to compromise on tax hikes.
This is every bit as uncompromising as the GOP unwillingness to compromise on tax hikes.
There's no intellectually honest way to argue otherwise - but, I am sure you'll try.

You can't seriously be this dense. Obama not taking tax hikes off the table is not an unwillingness to compromise. He offered up 4 trillion in cuts. He asked for tax hikes in return. That's called negotiating. Stop being obtuse. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

He -did- run as The Secular Messiah.
He had 2 years with a Dem Congress that he could not get to pass much of anything w/o a fight - in terms of His campaign platform, what has He accomplished?

What has he accomplished? Here you go:

really.

yeah. it seems to have worked real well....

Absolutely, if Obama was serious he'd start by proposing a 50% budget cut in defense spending. You are also advocating serious cuts in defense spending aren't you?

what that tells me is that obama thinks cutting ANY SPENDING is a sacrifice

which shows what an absolute ass he is

why is he trying to derail things with tax hikes

Are you saying there are NOTHING THAT NEEDS TO BE CUT?

You can't seriously be this dense. Obama not taking tax hikes off the table is not an unwillingness to compromise.

but of course it is. not even Democrats would pass these tax hikes, yet Obama refuses to avoid what he says would be a fiscal catastrophe unless Republicans do it for him? what utter baloney.

He offered up 4 trillion in cuts.

in fact he hasn't. he claimed to be offering up 3 trillion in "cuts" and 1 trillion in tax hikes... but when you look into what the "cuts" actually are, they disappear into mirrors and smoke. So, for example, he calls continuing the current drawdown in Iraq and Afghanistan a "cut" of about a trillion by arguing that he's not maintaining surge levels for a decade. he claims that the interest which will never be paid on debt we never issue is a "cut" and should count; which is similarly ridiculous. of the non-health-care mandatory spending "cuts", roughly three quarters appear to be "cuts" made by "increasing fees". He's even taken the standard "waste fraud and abuse" off the table, insisting that Republicans "buy them back" with dollar for dollar tax increases. it's utterly amazing.

Republicans should meet him at his own game, and say that since they aren't lowering tax rates to a flat rate of 10%, they've actually already more than tripled taxes on small business owners. :roll:

actually no. what they should do is go ahead and pass a bill of the size that the President wants ($2.4 Trillion) with commiserate cuts dollar for dollar of their choosing. Then let Obama kill it, if he wants to. Let everyone see that Obama thinks that A) the economy may collapse and social security recipients may get left in the cold and B) is willing to accept that if it's necessary for him to raise taxes.

Absolutely, if Obama was serious he'd start by proposing a 50% budget cut in defense spending. You are also advocating serious cuts in defense spending aren't you?

Of course. Plus a lot more revenue than the measly tax loophole closures that he's asking for.

What has he accomplished? Here you go:

CFC was one of the biggest failures of the Obama administration.

Cash for Clunkers: more of a failure than previously thought - Mass SNAFU

Looking for debt deal, Obama outlines cuts - USATODAY.com

what that tells me is that obama thinks cutting ANY SPENDING is a sacrifice

which shows what an absolute ass he is

why is he trying to derail things with tax hikes

Are you saying there are NOTHING THAT NEEDS TO BE CUT?

Are you kidding? He offered 4 TRILLION IN CUTS. Are you people really that dense? This isn't some theory. He actually offered up the cuts in return for some minor revenue increases. He actually said this. Google it. Or read a ****ing newspaper. It's not that hard to understand.

Last edited:
but of course it is. not even Democrats would pass these tax hikes, yet Obama refuses to avoid what he says would be a fiscal catastrophe unless Republicans do it for him? what utter baloney.

Ok, now I'm dealing with somebody who either has no ****ing clue what he's talking about, or who's just being disingenuous. Dems wouldn't agree to tax hikes? What in God's name are you talking about?

Last edited:

Any program receiving federal funding is in jeopardy. In fact, many states are facing insolvency. New Mexico cut benefits to the elderly and the disabled a while back. People should expect to see a lot more of this as time goes on. It wont be too long now before everything begins to crumble.

When did libs start caring about spending, that's what I want to know. I'm not so dense that I suddenly believe y'all are fiscal hawks all of a sudden. LOL

When did libs start caring about spending, that's what I want to know. I'm not so dense that I suddenly believe y'all are fiscal hawks all of a sudden. LOL

I'm as surprised as you are to see Obama pursuing serious cuts...but all the evidence from the last couple months leads me to the conclusion that Obama is far more serious about deficit reduction than House Republicans.

If Republicans have become so inept that they're willing to walk away from $4 trillion in reduced government, because of some minor tax hikes in areas specifically targeted to cause Republicans the least amount of angst, then conservatism is truly dead...killed not by liberals, but by Grover Norquist. This could have been the best policy victory Republicans have had in decades, and instead they're going to turn it down and get nothing (or a pittance of cuts that most Democrats could tolerate anyway). Right now, Obama is behaving more like a true conservative than Eric Cantor is.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…