• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

November 20th is the transgender day of remembrance to those trans people who have died because of violence or suicide.

Lisa

salem ac leporem,
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
At least 53 trans people lost to violence since November 2022

As Trans Day of Remembrance approaches, the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) has released its 2023 Remembrance Report honoring the lives of 109 transgender individuals who have passed away in the United States since November 2022, with at least 53 of those lost to violence and another 33 to suicide. Information has been compiled from various sources, including national and local news, LGBTQI+ organizations, social media, and community submissions. The report comes in the form of an online memorial with photos, illustrations, and biographical information (where available) about each person to honor the fullness of their lives, not just the tragedy of their deaths.

The full list of people memorialized by NCTE's Remembrance Report is a result of tireless efforts by members of staff, activists, volunteers, and families dedicated to remembering the losses suffered by the trans community. This report emphasizes the importance of inclusivity and honors diverse identities beyond the cisgender binary.

Shedding light on various forms of violence against the trans community, including physical violence, bullying, harassment, and systemic discrimination, this report emphasizes the need to broaden the perspective on gender identity and expression and ensure the memorialization of all lost community members.

The previous year’s Remembrance Report listed 47 transgender people lost to violence, and this year’s report indicates a slight increase. However, gathering accurate data about those we’ve lost is a challenge. Violence against the transgender community is often underreported, and data about it is difficult to capture. Transgender people who are victims of violence are frequently misidentified in death by law enforcement, journalists, and even by unsupportive family members, often by being referred to by their birth name or their assigned sex at birth rather than their true name and gender.

“NCTE’s Remembrance Report emphasizes the importance of accurate data collection, urging governments to recognize all gender identities,” said Kris Tassone, policy counsel for the National Center for Transgender Equality and head of the remembrance project. “Despite strides in vital record updates, more comprehensive efforts are needed to ensure accurate representation and recognition.”

The 2023 Remembrance Report highlights the need for collective mourning and advocacy. Everyone lost was valuable and deserves to be recognized as their true and whole selves. Trans Day of Remembrance reminds us to reflect on our collective responsibility to protect the most vulnerable and heal the wounds they have suffered. The youngest person in the 2023 Remembrance Report was just 14 years old, which only emphasizes the need to create a world where all trans youth can grow and thrive.

The importance of Transgender Day of Remembrance has never been more profound. No matter what, the trans community and our allies will continue the journey towards a more just and compassionate society.

“The rate of violent victimization against transgender persons (51.5 victimizations per 1,000 persons age 16 or older) was 2.5 times the rate among cisgender persons (20.5 per 1,000). Nearly three-fourths of trans people killed in America from 2017 to 2022 were killed with a gun. To keep trans and gender-nonconforming people safe, lawmakers at every level must take action to prioritize legislation that protects communities from hate-fueled violence.” -Jen Parks

1700455564122.png

It is disgusting that in the year 2023, we're still having this conversation.

Here's a novel idea to people with transphobic views: Leave trans people alone. Stop harming them.

It is disgusting that in the year 2023, we're still having this conversation.

Here's a novel idea to people with transphobic views: Leave trans people alone. Stop harming them.

While all these deaths are sad, not all of them will be as a result of transphobia. Quite a few were killed by a romantic/sexual partner.

Lots of people will look at this and get extremely angry that its even pointed out.

While all these deaths are sad, not all of them will be as a result of transphobia. Quite a few were killed by a romantic/sexual partner.
Usually because the partner was transgender. They will claim they snapped when they discovered the person who they were sexually attracted to or was intimate with was trans and then injured or killed them in response. It's a variation of the gay panic defense.

Some of the killings are by family/friends as a form of honor killing, often driven by religious bigotry.

Usually because the partner was transgender. They will claim they snapped when they discovered the person who they were sexually attracted to or was intimate with was trans and then injured or killed them in response. It's a variation of the gay panic defense.

Some of the killings are by family/friends as a form of honor killing, often driven by religious bigotry.

Usually? I'd imagine most transpeople killed by partners, the partners would know the person is trans.

I wonder what the real reason was behind each suicide.

If we truly want to protect.........................................we have to dig deeper.

I wonder what the real reason was behind each suicide.

If we truly want to protect.........................................we have to dig deeper.

Yeah Vivek is 100% right here.

I think a lot of the times suicide is a sore spot for LGBT people. A lot of us have felt that way. A lot of us have attempted and a lot of us have succeeded.

We don't want anyone else to feel that way. So when the suggestion is dropped that someone might be feeling suicidal everyone makes an effort to try and appease that person.

This isn't a bad thing in our society but it can lead to bad things namely chemically Christian children. Or in the example Vivek gave surgical castration.

All you have to do is drop the s-word.

Yeah Vivek is 100% right here.

I think a lot of the times suicide is a sore spot for LGBT people. A lot of us have felt that way. A lot of us have attempted and a lot of us have succeeded.

We don't want anyone else to feel that way. So when the suggestion is dropped that someone might be feeling suicidal everyone makes an effort to try and appease that person.

This isn't a bad thing in our society but it can lead to bad things namely chemically Christian children. Or in the example Vivek gave surgical castration.

All you have to do is drop the s-word.

I'm wondering how many suicides were caused by deep regret for the sex change.
Many have had their sex change as minors, and most likely they had psychological issues at the time.

post #45

Very very few. The sucess rate is +/- 95%.
Many have had their sex change as minors, and most likely they had psychological issues at the time.

Its extremely rare to have GCS before the age of 18. The therapists and Drs would have seen those issues and delayed the surgery until the psych issues were resolved but your lack of understanding doesn't permit you to understand that.
post #45

post #45

I have to say this and I'm not trying to lecture you it's just when I hear people say something like this it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

There is no sex change. There is no gender affirming care there is no transition. A sex changes castration sterilization or mastectomy. None of that does anything to change your sex it just makes you impotent or infertile.

And I pick this particular bone because I've called it sex change too. And this makes people think you can just change your sex. You can't if you were born male you'll die male.

What this should be is referred to as plastic surgery to make you look became more convincing female or male. As well as sterilization and ending your reproductive system.

Calling it a sex change makes people think you can change your sex.

I digress.

I do believe there are people in this world that legitimately have a condition that makes them unhappy with their sex. I do think it's far better to except for yourself for who you are and not go trying to change or transition which is the same thing is change. Because the change will only ever be superficial. And you'll know it and anybody you trying to become romantic with will know it.

I think the fact that reality is something that bothers them to the point where they'll go have surgery to try and change it is what leads to suicides.

If you're that unhappy with who you are cosmetic surgery is not going to fix you.

If you're so angry and hot on yourself for being fat if you lose the weight you're not going to suddenly started accepting and loving yourself. Acceptance of things you can't change and courage to change the things you can are the road to happiness.

Very very few. The sucess rate is +/- 95%.
success of what lying to yourself and thinking breast implants turn you into a woman, or mastectomies turn you into a man?

There just isn't any data on the failure rate. You can't just say that 95% of the time that's the success just because you have no data on it.

Its extremely rare to have GCS before the age of 18.
but they do prescribe castration drugs that they call puberty blockers and cross sex hormones.
The therapists and Drs would have seen those issues and delayed the surgery until the psych issues were resolved but your lack of understanding doesn't permit you to understand that.
It's not lack of understanding. It's lack of faith. I don't believe you. And I have good reason to you are emotionally invested in this. You get very emotional very combative with people who don't agree with you. You attempted to dictate how people can talk about the subject.

The shows that you're hurt by the discussion involving people who don't agree with you.

Until you stop that it won't move forward I think that that's all you have. That's all this is.

I mean ive legit seen absolute sourpusses get so enraged trans people have an informal day.
That's pretty fragile of those people. I don't care how you feel about transgender people when someone you care about guys even if they commit suicide it's a tragedy and I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging boats that they were trans and this is a memorial Day for them.

That's like being upset about a memorial Day for people who were lost to cancer or drug abuse.

I think a lot of people are overly sensitive on that side of this issue as well.

That's pretty fragile of those people. I don't care how you feel about transgender people when someone you care about guys even if they commit suicide it's a tragedy and I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging boats that they were trans and this is a memorial Day for them.

That's like being upset about a memorial Day for people who were lost to cancer or drug abuse.

I think a lot of people are overly sensitive on that side of this issue as well.
This is sociopathic.

Agreement that people should be allowed to have a day of remembrance for people they lost?
If that is what you were trying to say, then please learn how to verbally express yourself in a more accurate manner.

I came to this thread knowing at least one person would make excuses.

Thread delivered.

You make Baby Jesus cry when you lie like that.

but they do prescribe castration drugs that they call puberty blockers and cross sex hormones.
Puberty blockers and cross sex hormones are not "castration drugs".
puberty blockers simply do what the name states. They block puberty. There is no "castration" involved.
Puberty blockers can be used to delay the changes of puberty in transgender and gender-diverse youth who have started puberty.​

"cross sex hormones" is an even worse comparison with "castration". It totally fails to understand the actual role of sex hormones in the body.
For example, female body-builders can take testosterone to build muscle and bulk.
Both estrogen and testosterone are found in both male and female sexes.

The shows that you're hurt by the discussion involving people who don't agree with you.
Until you stop that it won't move forward I think that that's all you have. That's all this is.
This comment is hilarious.
@CLAX1911 keeps repeating documentably false statements. All he can do is repeat his claims that he has "belief" in.
There is no "forward" in a conversation with somebody who can only repeat their claims and completely refuse to look at conflicting data. (i.e. Clax1911)

It's a sad commentary on some segments of today's society when those virulently opposed to transgender issues can only repeat what they want to believe and are incapable of doing anything else.

post #45
Your abuse of the information in those two studies is disgusting.
Studies often openly state that they think there is a need for further study. That is the nature of studies in the first place!
If they feel that more diverse research is needed, they will say so. That doesn't indicate that there is a problem, but rather more studies to truly dig into the situation.
They can also recognize that there are many variables involved in the situation (e.g. drug use, abusive family, other comorbidities for suicide stress). That doesn't stop them from reaching a GENERAL conclusion, but rather identifies that further study can help more completely isolate different compounding factors in the situation.

Your first article clearly states:
Based on this review, there is an extremely low prevalence of regret in transgender patients after GAS.​

Your second article is FILLED with articles documenting a significantly REDUCED suicide rate after gender affirming procedures.
As I said above, a stated reason for the interest in more study is to better identify what other factors may be involved. For example, if you look at only people who are not involved in substance abuse, their numbers would be expected to be even lower.
Transgender people with toxic families will have the problem regardless of the surgery. One would expect that their toxic nature could have an adverse impact on the improvement (i.e. still an improvement, but possibly the numbers aren't as great).
Also, this study which examined a variety of existing studies identified various ways on which the previous studies (which noted lower suicide rates) could be improved.

You are making blind allegations that you have absolutely no interest in finding the truth on.

Puberty blockers and cross sex hormones are not "castration drugs".
puberty blockers simply do what the name states. They block puberty. There is no "castration" involved.
Puberty blockers can be used to delay the changes of puberty in transgender and gender-diverse youth who have started puberty.​

"cross sex hormones" is an even worse comparison with "castration". It totally fails to understand the actual role of sex hormones in the body.
For example, female body-builders can take testosterone to build muscle and bulk.
Both estrogen and testosterone are found in both male and female sexes.

This comment is hilarious.
@CLAX1911 keeps repeating documentably false statements. All he can do is repeat his claims that he has "belief" in.
There is no "forward" in a conversation with somebody who can only repeat their claims and completely refuse to look at conflicting data. (i.e. Clax1911)

It's a sad commentary on some segments of today's society when those virulently opposed to transgender issues can only repeat what they want to believe and are incapable of doing anything else.
If conversion therapy doesn't work to change a homosexual or trans people back to being hetero or cis then how can a person possibly be groomed by parents or teachers to be transgender? The idea of being groomed to be trans doesn't pass the laugh test when critical thinking skills are applied to these absurd conservative claims. MAGAs can repeat the transphobic claims from now until rapture and still they will only even be lies that are accepted by morons who lack any rational thoughts.

John Money did much more than groom David Reimer and still he was always a cisgender male, despite the horrific trauma that Money inflicted. The trauma was so severe that David died by suicide about two decades later.

Back
Top Bottom