• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

So, in the end, you are the final judge on these matters ? Therein lies the problem....................

Bro, do you even read?

Bro, maybe I misread, but I got the impression you were saying that the treatment of gays couldn't hold a candle to the treatment of "blacks".......................

Bro, maybe I misread, but I got the impression you were saying that the treatment of gays couldn't hold a candle to the treatment of "blacks".......................

It can't. Anyone who took the time to learn basic American history knows this.

Which brings us back around to you stating your opinion and insisting it is a fact. I'm not buying into it for 1 minute.......................

Agreed with all this, though the rational that makes SSM acceptable also makes polygamy acceptable.

Right. And if gay people looked and acted exactly like straights and only had heterosexual sex you'd be completely comfortable with them.............wow...................

Right. And if gay people looked and acted exactly like straights and only had heterosexual sex you'd be completely comfortable with them.............wow...................
How do you think you would be received at an NAACP meeting equating marriage equality with the civil rights movement?

I'm thinking body bag...

How do you think you would be received at an NAACP meeting equating marriage equality with the civil rights movement?

I'm thinking body bag...

Considering the NAACP supports marriage equality and itself has compared the two movements favorably, I would say you should read up a little more before saying something stupid.

Considering the NAACP supports marriage equality and itself has compared the two movements favorably, I would say you should read up a little more before saying something stupid.
The NAACP's support for gay marriage in no way equates the plight of Blacks during the civil rights era and the plight of homosexuals in gaining marriage rights. What people are attempting to do with this is to say that what the gay community is fighting for today akin to what Black people were fighting for in the 60s. The right to marry vs. equal protection under the law. Hmm... one has to do with oppression and the other has to do with getting some tax breaks.

Give me a freaking break. The two aren't even remotely on the same level.

You have a ridiculous interpretation of the phrase "special right." But ok, let's go with that one. Why use the phrase at all? Is this an argument against same-sex marriage? They didn't have the right before, so they shouldn't be granted the right? Couldn't I have said the same about women voting, interracial marriage, or drinking alcohol before the repeal of prohibition?

Why are you so interested in this tangent? Is it because you want to avoid talking about what the real issue is?

I'm thinking body bag...

Because suggesting black people would murder someone for comparing one civil rights struggle to another is... pretty friggin ridiculous. And, by the way, very demeaning to black people. What other groups do you think are so incredibly violent over such tiny perceived slights?

They aren't using a measuring stick with this. They do view it as a continuation of the movement as a whole, so if you have issues with that basic concept, too bad, but the NAACP speaks for itself.

Why are you so interested in this tangent? Is it because you want to avoid talking about what the real issue is?

I'm actually not the one that is interested in the tangent. I'm the one pointing out the absolute ridiculousness of others, on this very thread, who would try to make this connection.

For example...

Sorry...but tolerance does not require embracing the intolerant. Bigots ARE bigots. The bigots of the 60's felt that they were morally justified in their views the same way that the bigots of the 2013 think that they are.

The "tangent" belongs to others, not me. What is happening is that a genuine human travesty that was finally righted is being hijacked by something that isn't worthy of being discussed on the same level. I don't even oppose SSM. I would have preferred that a different term for it could have been found that was acceptable to the gay community but in the end I guess it really doesn't matter. SSM is coming and everyone better get used to it but the sensationalism is getting out of control and it isn't even necessary.

Lighten up, dude, it was a metaphor. Sheesh...

I'm actually not the one that is interested in the tangent. I'm the one pointing out the absolute ridiculousness of others, on this very thread, who would try to make this connection.

Ah, you mean this?

Well, guess what?

NAACP Passes Resolution in Support of Marriage Equality | NAACP

I find it interesting that the NAACP would supposedly be against the two being connected when they themselves do just that in exactly the same manner.

They even use the same rationale you somehow denied homosexuals earlier tonight (You: "The right to marry vs. equal protection under the law. Hmm... one has to do with oppression and the other has to do with getting some tax breaks.")

Last edited:

If I stab you, it typpically isn't as bad as if I shot you. Both are bad are they not? Both are not the same, but they can be compared to as bad. The same for SSM and interracial Marriage.

Noone is saying the discrimination of gays is THE SAME as the discrimination of blacks, but both are bad.

If I stab you, it typpically isn't as bad as if I shot you. Both are bad are they not? Both are not the same, but they can be compared to as bad. The same for SSM and interracial Marriage.
Nice try, but like I had to tell the other guy, I'm not against gay marriage. I'm against partisans ****ing up a worthwhile cause by using hyperbole and dumb **** to promote it, instead of sticking to the facts. Blacks were traded, auctioned off and bred like cattle so they could be forced to work under inhuman conditions, facing unspeakable horrors for over 260 years in this country, because Congress didn't even recognize them as human beings. For the sole purpose of representative votes, they were considered three/fifths of a person. Even after emancipation, they faced institutional oppression. Southern states looked the other way when their black citizens were being hanged to death, and dragged behind horses, and later trucks, because the mayors, sheriffs, governors, etc were also doing these things. This country wasn't even fully desegregated by law until the 1970's. In the place I grew up, "nigger" is still a common word, and hate crimes still go on. The only difference now vs then is that people get put in prison for it now. A white man can even be executed for killing a black man, which is a relatively new concept in this country.

Gays got sent to prison, got murdered by religious extremists, up until 1973 they were considered to be mentally ill, up until two years ago they couldn't openly serve in the military, and they can't get married. Yet people think that's worthy of comparison to the horrible things we've done to the people we shipped into this country so we could use them as farm equipment.

Noone is saying the discrimination of gays is THE SAME as the discrimination of blacks, but both are bad.
A lot of people are, and do, because they're too blinded by their own partisan bull**** to see how it's a false comparison.

You could, and you'd be accurate in so doing. All of your above named special accommodations were never considered unalienable rights granted to every human being at the time of the framing and well into the nations history, however, societal pressure forced the issues. You can add the abolition of slavery to your list, but you may NOT equate the homosexual plight for marriage with the civil rights bill.

Tim-

Hardly the same thing...

Not the same thing, but the anti-SSM will be looked at the same way 40 years from now as those against interracial marriage.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…