• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nobody is wearing a mask in Florida grocery store!

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A video that was taken at a South Florida grocery store shows nearly every customer and employee without a mask.

The footage was filmed this week at Oakes Farms Seed to Table Market in Naples, about 42 miles south of Fort Myers. In it, not a mask is in sight and social distancing is not being followed.

As of Thursday morning, the video on NBC News correspondent Sam Brock's Twitter page has generated 7,600 comments, nearly 16,000 retweets and more than 20,000 likes. Reactions run the gamut, with some defending the customers and employees and others expressing outrage.

The store's owner, Alfie Oakes, could not be reached for comment on Thursday. He told NBC's "TODAY" show he knows masks do not work and doesn't believe the coronavirus has killed hundreds of thousands of people in the United States.

"That's total hogwash," Oakes said, later adding, "Why don't we shut the world down because of the heart attacks? Why don't we lock down cities because of heart attacks?"

I am not sure what to say. One-year in a pandemic and this is still happening. SPEECHLESS!

I saw one or two with masks. Those must have been the people who knew they had active Covid infections. Can't be too careful, don't you know. I commend their selflessness.:devilish:

Not saying it isn't so, but could it possibly be an old footage?

From the OP link: ”That's total hogwash," Oakes said, later adding, "Why don't we shut the world down because of the heart attacks? Why don't we lock down cities because of heart attacks?"

When is the last time someone caught a heart attack from another?

File under “Florida Man

I think I have heard New Brunswick slang that went something like, “if you don’t stop that, you‘ll catch a heart attack!

Not saying it isn't so, but could it possibly be an old footage?

It is quite shocking watching a video of so many people, not wearing a mask but this is indeed a recent video.

It is quite shocking watching a video of so many people, not wearing a mask but this is indeed a recent video.

So are they living in some sort of insane bubble?

I wonder how many people think just because they got their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, wearing a mask is no longer necessary. (Remember two doses four weeks apart are required for both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.)

Idiots.

Who will cause more small businesses to go belly up.

I look at that video and see a whole bunch of selfish people who do not care about the health and welfare of others or the economy.

From the OP link: ”That's total hogwash," Oakes said, later adding, "Why don't we shut the world down because of the heart attacks? Why don't we lock down cities because of heart attacks?"

File under “Florida Man

I think I have heard New Brunswick slang that went something like, “if you don’t stop that, you‘ll catch a heart attack!
Depends on who you see naked... heart attack from naked fright or heart attack from awesome bodi nakedness...

I am not sure what to say. One-year in a pandemic and this is still happening. SPEECHLESS!
I don't go into any store without a mask and I'm happy to report that every store I go into, EVERYONE is wearing a mask. We all just want to be safe.

However...some numbers in that article caught my eye: "Collier County, where Naples is located, has seen more than 27,000 cases of Covid-19 since the start of the pandemic and 413 deaths, according to the state's Department of Health website. "

So...I looked it up. From the last census in 2010, Collier County population is 321,510. That means that county had, from the beginning of the pandemic, 0.08 times their population got infected and 0.01 times their population died. I don't know if that is good or bad, so I compared that county's infections to my own...El Paso County, CO. We have a population of 622,263 and we've had 48,227 infections. That means that 0.07 times our population has gotten infected.

Now...I have no idea if that store in Naples, FL is indicative of what happens in ALL stores in the county, just as I don't know if people wear masks in ALL the stores in my county...but I don't see much of a difference in infection rates between the two counties. I suppose if someone could find the information, we could know if that particular store experiences a higher or lower infection rate. Who knows...maybe the results could show those people are on to something...or "on something".

edit: I went and checked that FL Dept. of Health website and they give a current population for Collier County as 363,922...a bit higher than 10 years ago. That number dropped the infection rate to 0.07 times their population.

Last edited:
Happens every time someone accepts a cheeseburger from the cook at McDonald's. If public health is the priority, then we need to shut down fast-food imediatly.

Happens every time someone accepts a cheeseburger from the cook at McDonald's. If public health is the priority, then we need to shut down fast-food imediatly.
... and immediately too...

I look at that video and see a whole bunch of selfish people who do not care about the health and welfare of others or the economy.
I see people shopping and enjoying each others company...

I see a lot of 2020 Trump voters who perhaps won’t be voting in 2024.

Maybe those folks were in the store buying face masks

I saw one or two with masks. Those must have been the people who knew they had active Covid infections. Can't be too careful, don't you know. I commend their selflessness.:devilish:
If they know they are infected they shouldn't go out at all. Masks does only do so much.

I see a lot of 2020 Trump voters who perhaps won’t be voting in 2024.
Yeah, if they don't work at a elderly home or has a neighbour that works at an elderly home and who they insist on greating when returning from their shopping tour or the person in front of them in the cue (from which they refuse to keep distans) has a heartdisease or which spause has asthma, just recovered from cancer or....

Confusing coronaries and diarrhea.........common mistake......

Wheres all the science showing us all how there's a huge outbreak associated with that store?

This is exactly why we need another national shut down until we all get vaccines. If we don't we will have new variants and this will start a new pandemic next year. Do we really want to go through this for years and years just because some people are ignorant? Hateful?

I see some of those people and they almost use Covid as a chemical weapon against democrats. It's like they hope they give someone Covid. The rest like the shop owner are just dangerously ignorant and we need protection from them and they need protection from themselves.

I wonder if a name of who they injured and killed popped up in their head it would make a difference, or make them happy? I think they deserve to know who they kill.

They traced kids getting it at college and spreading it to twenty deaths.

Isn't it outrageous that Florida has proven all the deliberately totalitarian destruction of 500,000 small businesses and all those jobs on behalf of the richest white male racists on earth was all based upon lies? Masks don't work. Social distancing is worthless. Forcing people to shop only at big box stores is murderous.

Back
Top Bottom