• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No, the White House didn’t intentionally edit a question to Putin out of a video

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-putin-out-of-a-video/?utm_term=.0068a91af117

No, the White House didn’t intentionally edit a question to Putin out of a video.

Well well, it appears that the White House transcript of the Helsinki press conference was not intentionally altered to misrepresent the historical facts.

It was simply an error that occurred based on a problem with the soundtrack feed, one that affected WaPo and some other sources as well.

So that was a "jumping to conclusions" moment for CNN and some other "News" agencies.

Fake News? Maybe not, but certainly news that was not properly researched before being used as a "Gotcha!" moment by certain news agencies.:coffeepap:

Rachel Maddcow is as much of a political hack as Hannity is. She isn't hired to be a reporter. Anything she "reports" is suspect. If I shaved a donkey's ass and made it walk backwards people might mistake it for Maddcow.

Last edited:
I would need to hear that from the tech working the feeds.

That stuff happens to us.

But BECAUSE it happens its easy to sell a lie based on it.

And we've been lied to too much already.

Not by Trump or his admin. You've been lied to consistently by Fake News. Why do you think Maddow made such a hoopla out of this insignificant, boring "typo"? It's because it very rarely happens. By contrast I find errors and lies every day from Fake News, and have documented many of them. You don't see conservatives jumping up and down and celebrating about it. They expect the Left to lie.

So does anybody know if the WH corrected the transcript?

:lol: Except they did edit the question out of the White House video

Or is that one of those times when didn't = did?

Read the article. They're connected. From the WP:

What happened? If you watch the videos, it’s pretty clear. At some point in the middle of that question, there’s a switch between the feed from the reporters and the feed from the translator. In the White House version of the video, you can hear the question being asked very faintly under the woman who is translating saying “president.” You can hear the same audio in The Post’s feed, starting at about a minute in. We did not edit the question out. This is the feed we were provided.

In this version of the news conference posted by Fox News, you can hear something different. In this, the question being asked more prominently with the translator muted and in the background. But more importantly in that video, you can hear the actual switch-over.

If you’re wearing headphones, you can notice how the latter part of the question is suddenly audible in the right earpiece. At first, the right channel is only the translator. Mid-question, the reporter is suddenly heard in both left and right as the translator feed drops out. Notice, too, that Putin then picks up his earpiece — through which he can hear the translations — and puts it in his right ear.

Our transcript and the White House’s were apparently based on the feed that runs only in the right channel. A White House official told CNN’s Abby Phillip that its transcript “did not have Mason’s audio turned up in time,” referring to Reuters reporter Jeff Mason, who asked the question.

This is not a conspiracy from the White House.​

By the way, if you want to see the article without the nag screen blocker, search for some of the script in Google, and add "site:washingtonpost.com" without quotes, and then click on the result. They must have a deal with Google to let anyone coming from a Google search see the article without subscribing.

So does anybody know if the WH corrected the transcript?

So answering my own question, as of 5:41 tonight it appears that the transcript has not have been corrected!!!

So which is more offensive?
- an initial outright effort to change the transcript
- an effort to cover it up with a phony "we made a mistake story"
- an actual mistake
- not correcting the mistake if it was a mistake

IMO, not correcting the mistake if it was one is just astounding

Last edited:
Yeah the one question that was the most damaging to Trump somehow didn't make it into the transcript if anyone believes that I've Got a New Jersey bridge to sell you

Nonsense. You have this story from the Washington Post. The biggest Fake News paper of the lot. Why the hell would they be protecting Trump? It's almost certainly because someone there realizes that always creating lies 100% of the time is not helping their image. They figure they better fire off a few truthful articles now and then to give the perception of fair reporting. Basic psychology. "Be honest now and then." It's what most thieves and gangsters will tell you too.

Read the article. They're connected. From the WP:

What happened? If you watch the videos, it’s pretty clear. At some point in the middle of that question, there’s a switch between the feed from the reporters and the feed from the translator. In the White House version of the video, you can hear the question being asked very faintly under the woman who is translating saying “president.” You can hear the same audio in The Post’s feed, starting at about a minute in. We did not edit the question out. This is the feed we were provided.

In this version of the news conference posted by Fox News, you can hear something different. In this, the question being asked more prominently with the translator muted and in the background. But more importantly in that video, you can hear the actual switch-over.

If you’re wearing headphones, you can notice how the latter part of the question is suddenly audible in the right earpiece. At first, the right channel is only the translator. Mid-question, the reporter is suddenly heard in both left and right as the translator feed drops out. Notice, too, that Putin then picks up his earpiece — through which he can hear the translations — and puts it in his right ear.

Our transcript and the White House’s were apparently based on the feed that runs only in the right channel. A White House official told CNN’s Abby Phillip that its transcript “did not have Mason’s audio turned up in time,” referring to Reuters reporter Jeff Mason, who asked the question.

This is not a conspiracy from the White House.​

By the way, if you want to see the article without the nag screen blocker, search for some of the script in Google, and add "site:washingtonpost.com" without quotes, and then click on the result. They must have a deal with Google to let anyone coming from a Google search see the article without subscribing.

Fake News.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-putin-out-of-a-video/?utm_term=.0068a91af117

No, the White House didn’t intentionally edit a question to Putin out of a video.

Well well, it appears that the White House transcript of the Helsinki press conference was not intentionally altered to misrepresent the historical facts.

It was simply an error that occurred based on a problem with the soundtrack feed, one that affected WaPo and some other sources as well.

So that was a "jumping to conclusions" moment for CNN and some other "News" agencies.

Fake News? Maybe not, but certainly news that was not properly researched before being used as a "Gotcha!" moment by certain news agencies.:coffeepap:

Nah. The very first comment destroys your false narrative.

You should try reading the responses. Most informative. That is, if you're into being informed.

Trump had one of his infamous Freudian slips/brain farts when he uttered that comedic excuse/'correction' as a 'double negative.' Those words pretty well describe his Presidency and his morality,or lack thereof as the case may be.

All Presidents are occasionally coerced by their Party to do or say things they don’t want to say. Such coercion (force) removes intent, so you would need to look to the GOP itself if you wanted to call anyone a liar. Trump himself doesn’t lie.

Totally unqualified in every way imaginable to be occupying the Oval Office.Is better suited foe the White House kindergarten class for the mentally and morally challenged.

Fake News.

All Presidents are occasionally coerced by their Party to do or say things they don’t want to say. Such coercion (force) removes intent, so you would need to look to the GOP itself if you wanted to call anyone a liar. Trump himself doesn’t lie.

Fake News.

FAKE NEWS is a term Trump coined to avoid taking fair questions about his lack of morals and his failed administration from the American populace,opting to hide and Tweet like a child. Stating Trump doesn't lie is too absurd to even comment about.

Nah. The very first comment destroys your false narrative.

You should try reading the responses. Most informative. That is, if you're into being informed.

If you were referring to the bolded portion of your citation, that came from the Washington Post.

As I've said to some of your peers, isn't that one of YOUR trusted sources?

I read the article, which has also appeared in several others, did you? If not, simply google it.

Meanwhile I do read thread posts, and I agree some can be very informative.

However, some (like the one I am responding to) are not very informative at all. :shrug:

FAKE NEWS is a term Trump coined to avoid taking fair questions about his lack of morals and his failed administration from the American populace,opting to hide and Tweet like a child. Stating Trump doesn't lie is too absurd to even comment about.

On the contrary, Fake News refers to Fake News.

If you were referring to the bolded portion of your citation, that came from the Washington Post.

I read the article, which has also appeared in several others, did you? If not, simply google it.

However, some (like the one I am responding to) are not very informative at all. :shrug:

Yes, as I was trying to explain to them, sometimes even Fake News will be honest. As any good liar will explain, the best liars are those who sometimes tell the truth. I think CNN and others could learn from this. Telling the truth sometimes is more effective than just putting out wall to wall nothingburgers. :D

Clearly you did not read the source cited.

The source is the Washington Post. Isn't that one of YOUR "trusted sources?"

NOTHING was intentionally edited out of the official records. :roll:

facts be damned on both sides of the aisle-in this case its the TDS feeding frenzy that wants to bash Trump and ignores the facts

Trump supporters will believe anything.

Trump haters will too. Stop pretending that the TDS crowd is actually honest and objective

Some in the media (MSNBC, CNN, and many others) are guilty of the same misrepresentation of the facts (they call it lies but I’m being kind) that they accuse, and rightly so sometimes, the White House of doing. The difference, IMHO, is that politicians tend to get fast and loose with facts as a character culture of being in politics. But, we expect better from the press which is supposed to report the facts and nothing but the facts so that we the people can determine what is fact or fiction.

When it comes to the media reporting on Trump, facts are a luxury that get in the way of the story - the story being either “Trump is a Russian agent and a Traitor” or “Nothing Trump ever says or does can ever be questioned.” Pretty much the reverse of the Obama era news cycle with the parties on each side just reversing their allegiance and taking up the mantel that their alter egos held during the Obama era. If it didn’t harm the nation so much, it would actually be fun to watch the comical reversal of positions.

The media has strayed from their duty, except for the normally left leaning WaPo in this particular instance. They are as guilty as anyone else in the media from time to time. But this time? They did their job. They reported the facts - some not so complimentary of Trump, and some not so complimentary of their colleagues in the rest of the media.

For that, WaPo gets a tip of my hat, and a thank you for showing us that there are still some in the media that not only understand their duty, but are brave enough to swim upstream fighting the strong flow of the liberal leaning press to perform that duty.

To The Washington Post - thank you, there is still hope.

As for some members here, they won’t believe anything that goes against their chosen side, even if it’s one of their own, like WaPo, that tells them so. That’s not just a failing of left leaning members, however, that particular failing infects some members on the right as well.

facts be damned on both sides of the aisle-in this case its the TDS feeding frenzy that wants to bash Trump and ignores the facts

That seems fairly self evident, just as the 'destroy Trump' 'news' media is infected with TDS as well being self evident.

Trump haters will too. Stop pretending that the TDS crowd is actually honest and objective

They are anything but, as the poster your quoted clearly demonstrates on a daily basis.

When Trump let Putin accuse 11 of our government officials and Bill Browder of theft on international television, unchecked, it proved that the only people with TDS are the fools who still support him. And, when he said it was a fine idea, it was game, set match.

Clearly you did not read the source cited.

The source is the Washington Post. Isn't that one of YOUR "trusted sources?"

NOTHING was intentionally edited out of the official records. :roll:

It sure is, liberals kiss WaPo ass. To liberals, WaPo can do NO wrong.

How does it square that both the video and the written transcript were missing the same area of the press conference?

Missing from the transcript and the video, with no correction or fix and a Trump tweet asserting exactly the opposite of what was "accidentally" flushed down the memory hole.

Totally innocent!

WTF? No, there was no bolded portion of my citation. That was from your own post. Sheesh.

The very first comment (those things that other people say besides the author of the piece that come below the end of the article) destroys what you're claiming.

It appears obvious that many of the knee-jerk response by the usual cadre of Trump haters didn’t even read the article before they spewed their usual diatribes of indictment+guilt first and to hell with any facts that don’t support their mania.

When Trump steamrolls his Lefty opponent in 2020 they can blame themselves. (not Russia again).

Back
Top Bottom