• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No Global Warming, Global Cooling Instead [W:398]

LOL, before you go too far into another convoluted rant, you should realize that the "skeptical science blog" is a well known AGW proponents site.. Not one of "his" as in floggers or mine because we are not warmers, but one of "yours" as in pro-AGW .. In fact the guy who does it it the very same cartoonist turned blog writer who co-authored the now infamous "97% agree" consensus nonsense paper. So in effect you are arguing against one of your own..

I kind of thought the catch phrase under the title on their page was a give away...ROFL, carry on.
Catch phrase? This?
"ScienceSkepticalBlog
Politik | Wissenschaft | Klima & Energie"

From the German text of the second article on the main page, here's a (very) loose Google translation:
"Disappear uncomfortable truths - IPCC adapts its models retrofitted to
After the summary on Friday had already appeared for policy makers of the new IPCC report, the report of Working Group 1, Scientific foundations, the public was presented yesterday. Even before the publication of one aspect had been discussed quite intensively in the press and on Internet forums. How would the IPCC deal with the unpleasant fact that it has not become warmer as expected in the last 15 years. Especially the fact that 98 percent of the climate models used for the predictions have not previously seen such a standstill occasion should be enough, the methodology and the ...
"

Yes... very pro-AGW :roll:

I'm struggling to make heads or tails of your earlier post, but since you struggle to recognise the difference between the English site -
www.skepticalscience.com
- and the German site -
www.science-skeptical.deutschland (Germany)
- I think we can safely presume that your recollections of what I did or did not post (let alone how I felt about it!) may not be the most reliable information in the world ;)

I'll look forward to Code's reply to post #517, which I think was the last marginally productive post in the thread, but otherwise I think I'll follow Flogger's example and call it quits on the discussion; I reckon by now I've learned enough to be going on with :2wave:

Last edited:
Thankyou. For the future though, if you don't like being called on dishonesty it might be worth trying... you know... honesty? :shock: Your deliberately inflammatory spoiling tactics such as falsely calling someone a "die hard activist" or smearing whole groups of folk as "some of the more gullible out there are so vehement in the defence of claims of looming catastrophe" well... it's just begging for criticism, innit? To then start whining when the dishonest basis for insults such as these is pointed out is - as I've already mentioned to you - just a little bit rich.

File:2000 Year Temperature Comparison.png - Global Warming Art

You guys keep making these claims and borderline insults/accusations, but neither of you has yet answered my concerns or provided any evidence suggesting that instrumental measurements would've been higher than the proxies in earlier times, or that the trends in global average temperature change (at any point, let alone in the 18th or 19th centuries) were as steep as they have been in the 20th century.

As I commented in post #500, "The red plot (and possibly the light blue one) does appear to be lower at the end than in the MWP; the dark blue clearly is not, and it's hard to see the green and yellow. The modern plots which are lower may come from declines in tree ring growth or somesuch in the last half-century which I've seen mentioned somewhere. But if so, that probably wouldn't be a problem with the medieval data also - it would be fallacious to simply presume that instrumental records would always be proportionately higher than the proxy data, and indeed quite foolish to think the proxies were so poorly calibrated."

I listen in response to the sound of silence, it seems. Or rather, accusations of disingenuity on the part of the graph's maker and perhaps gullibility or culpability on my part. But no evidence.

As it turns out, those two plots most likely to show lower modern temperatures (red and maybe light blue) do indeed both depend significantly on tree-ring data. But this is not some devastating problem which the erstwhile physicist was trying to hide in his graph; it's a known phenomenon of recent tree growth patterns, as for instance in a 1998 paper for The Royal Society:
"Despite their having 50% common variance measured over the last century, it is apparent that in recent decades the MXD series shows a decline, whereas we know that summer temperatures over the same area increased. Closer examination reveals that while year-to-year (i.e. mutually ten-year high-pass filtered) correlations are consistently high between tree-growth and temperature (ca. 0.7 for 1881-1981), the correlations based on decadally smoothed data fall from 0.89, when calculated over the period 1881-1960, to 0.64 when the comparison period is extented to 1881-1981."

Neither of you seems interested in addressing the key point here: Temperatures from proxy data are supposed to be calibrated against instrumental temperatures. Aren't they? Apparently not according to Code, who thinks that "the connection to the proxies is non existent." However I suspect that he is incorrect there :lol: Sometimes, as in the case of tree rings, there may be specific anomalies or divergences which can be taken into account. But generally the whole point of proxies as I understand it is that their data is analysed and interpreted in such a way as to agree closely with the instrumental record as far back as it goes, so as to ensure the highest available accuracy for temperature inferences in the distant past.

And those graphs do largely agree with the instrumental graph, in temperatures themselves and in the comparatively rapid 20th century increases. In fact the most numerous and noticeable divergences are showing higher temperatures around the 1950-60s! Due to the more local conditions of the proxy samples, perhaps, compared with the global average? I don't know why. But if your reasoning were even remotely sound, shouldn't we therefore conclude that instrumental records in the MWP would've been lower than the proxies?

Fortunately, you've given me nothing to suggest that your reasoning or claims are sound.

All of the proxies that appear to make it into the 20th Century terminate between .4 and .6 degrees lower than the instrument record on a scale of only 1.6 degrees.

What is it that you think you are seeing?

Out of curiosity, how do you calibrate proxy data against instrument data when the proxies are from a distant millennia and the instruments started their sporadic collection of data in about 1880 and the satellites were not used until 100 years after that?

FYI, here is a historical view of the distribution of Climate Data stations as they were distributed around the world since the beginning of the "Instrument Record". Not what a layman would recognize as comprehensive. It looks pretty much like Sprint's 4G coverage.

http://climateaudit.org/2008/02/10/historical-station-distribution/

Last edited:
I already answered this in post #497, and numerous posts since. That particular graph is not important to me. I posted it because Code (from memory) had used it previously - and not specifically to show high modern temperatures but to show that the rate of increase in modern average temperatures (contrary to Code's assertion) has apparently been considerably faster than the natural increases in the 18th or 19th centuries. This has not been refuted, and in fact the only attempt to do so was another Wiki graph posted by Code, which averages the various plots and suggests that global average temperature trends have not approached those seen in the 20th century for over 10,000 years.

Again, you are blinding yourself to the data before you.

The graph that I have listed here for you AGAIN clearly shows that the various proxies all indicate that they have been significantly warmer than today's temperature.

The instrument data, if it is to be attached to such a graph, must be regarded as only one more data tack and averaged in with no additional weight given.

As with all "proof" provided by the Die Hards, it is only by disingenuously cherry picking and arranging data in a biased and misleading manner that your case can be supported.

View attachment 67154674

Question
how much of the CO2 emissions are contributed by man?
I dare any of you man made global warming hoaxsters to answer truthfully. the answer is not to hard to find

Last edited:
Question
how much of the CO2 emissions are contributed by man?
I dare any of you man made global warming hoaxsters to answer truthfully. the answer is not to hard to find

I PM'd you with my answer. You can share it with others when you wish.

All of the proxies that appear to make it into the 20th Century terminate between .4 and .6 degrees lower than the instrument record on a scale of only 1.6 degrees.

What is it that you think you are seeing?
I do see your point - it does help when folk explain what they mean rather than simply throwing out bald assertions and buzz words :lol: I'm not sure how accurate that would be as a criticism though. After the 40s/60s low, presumably all the proxy plots would return to an upward trend (most clearly visible in the red), some of which may be obscured by the black plot (the author says the most recent data is put towards the front). Moreover some of the proxy graphs end as early as 1960 or 65 and only two of them go beyond 1991 (ending in 92 and 95 to be precise), whereas the 5-year average up to 2000 is boosted by the highs in 98, 01 and 02. The only plot I can definitely see ending significantly lower and not much earlier than the instrumental one is light turquoise (831-1992), and as noted above that's one of the ones which depends significantly on tree-ring data - obviously red (also a tree-dependant graph) also ends much lower, though it only goes to 1979.

Out of curiosity, how do you calibrate proxy data against instrument data when the proxies are from a distant millennia and the instruments started their sporadic collection of data in about 1880 and the satellites were not used until 100 years after that?

FYI, here is a historical view of the distribution of Climate Data stations as they were distributed around the world since the beginning of the "Instrument Record". Not what a layman would recognize as comprehensive. It looks pretty much like Sprint's 4G coverage.

Historical Station Distribution « Climate Audit
I'm an Aussie, so I'd have a go at Vodafone myself :cool: Despite being imperfect, as you've noted the instrumental record goes back to the 1880s, which allows for a century or more against which to compare proxy data. According to Wikipedia borehole data doesn't need to be calibrated, though I'm rather sceptical of that (and of the borehole idea generally for that matter, but what do I know?). But certainly things like tree or coral growth, sedimentation, stalagmite coloration and so on do not reveal temperatures in and of themselves - those patterns must be compared with known temperature patterns first to establish a semi-reliable correlation and then to calibrate, to decide that this amount of growth means that kind of temperature and so on.

The whole enterprise seems rather uncertain to my mind. But then my slightly less science-curious brother says the same about radiometric dating, so in my ignorance I'll just have to assume that the experts know what they're doing with cross-comparison and so on :lol:

Again, you are blinding yourself to the data before you.

The graph that I have listed here for you AGAIN clearly shows that the various proxies all indicate that they have been significantly warmer than today's temperature.
And AGAIN I point out that in the case of the modern discussion we are looking at the global average temperatures. Those are all local proxies.
"The main figure shows eight records of local temperature variability on multi-centennial scales throughout the course of the Holocene, and an average of these (thick dark line)."
At different times, some of those local proxies are higher than the current global averages. Of course they are. Around half of the local temperatures are going to be higher than the global average today too! (Actually I'm not sure how that will relate to anomalies, but it's 3am so bugger it.) But that graph does show the averages of those local proxies, and while it's obviously a very poor substitute for the more comprehensive data available these days, that average plot does not reach current levels either in temperatures or in rate of change (except perhaps over 10,000 years ago).

The instrument data, if it is to be attached to such a graph, must be regarded as only one more data tack and averaged in with no additional weight given.

As with all "proof" provided by the Die Hards, it is only by disingenuously cherry picking and arranging data in a biased and misleading manner that your case can be supported.

View attachment 67154674
You're the one who posted it earlier :roll: I've heard of attacking a strawman, but it's not often you see someone attributing their own choice of evidences to the other side.

Thanks for your responses, anyways. As noted, I reckon I'll be calling it quits on the global warming discussion now - I think I've learned enough to conclude that scepticism and denial of the conclusions of most climatologists does not appear to rest on very solid ground. Hell, you (who I've so far respected) have decided to simply claim that climatology isn't even science (or as much science as astrology)! But I've learned plenty of other stuff too, for which I thank you and Flogger. I never did get 'round to learning enough to personally make a particularly compelling case for AGW admittedly, beyond the rather feeble threat of two extra degrees' warming from CO2 alone if our emissions remain stable... in a mere 170-odd years :shock: But I've got a better handle on how much there is to learn about the science (and about the critics) if I ever want to do so!

Last edited:
I do see your point - it does help when folk explain what they mean rather than simply throwing out bald assertions and buzz words :lol: I'm not sure how accurate that would be as a criticism though. After the 40s/60s low, presumably all the proxy plots would return to an upward trend (most clearly visible in the red), some of which may be obscured by the black plot (the author says the most recent data is put towards the front). Moreover some of the proxy graphs end as early as 1960 or 65 and only two of them go beyond 1991 (ending in 92 and 95 to be precise), whereas the 5-year average up to 2000 is boosted by the highs in 98, 01 and 02. The only plot I can definitely see ending significantly lower and not much earlier than the instrumental one is light turquoise (831-1992), and as noted above that's one of the ones which depends significantly on tree-ring data - obviously red (also a tree-dependant graph) also ends much lower, though it only goes to 1979.

I'm an Aussie, so I'd have a go at Vodafone myself :cool: Despite being imperfect, as you've noted the instrumental record goes back to the 1880s, which allows for a century or more against which to compare proxy data. According to Wikipedia borehole data doesn't need to be calibrated, though I'm rather sceptical of that (and of the borehole idea generally for that matter, but what do I know?). But certainly things like tree or coral growth, sedimentation, stalagmite coloration and so on do not reveal temperatures in and of themselves - those patterns must be compared with known temperature patterns first to establish a semi-reliable correlation and then to calibrate, to decide that this amount of growth means that kind of temperature and so on.

The whole enterprise seems rather uncertain to my mind. But then my slightly less science-curious brother says the same about radiometric dating, so in my ignorance I'll just have to assume that the experts know what they're doing with cross-comparison and so on :lol:

And AGAIN I point out that in the case of the modern discussion we are looking at the global average temperatures. Those are all local proxies.
"The main figure shows eight records of local temperature variability on multi-centennial scales throughout the course of the Holocene, and an average of these (thick dark line)."
At different times, some of those local proxies are higher than the current global averages. Of course they are. Around half of the local temperatures are going to be higher than the global average today too! (Actually I'm not sure how that will relate to anomalies, but it's 3am so bugger it.) But that graph does show the averages of those local proxies, and while it's obviously a very poor substitute for the more comprehensive data available these days, that average plot does not reach current levels either in temperatures or in rate of change (except perhaps over 10,000 years ago).

You're the one who posted it earlier :roll: I've heard of attacking a strawman, but it's not often you see someone attributing their own choice of evidences to the other side.

Thanks for your responses, anyways. As noted, I reckon I'll be calling it quits on the global warming discussion now - I think I've learned enough to conclude that scepticism and denial of the conclusions of most climatologists does not appear to rest on very solid ground. Hell, you (who I've so far respected) have decided to simply claim that climatology isn't even science (or as much science as astrology)! But I've learned plenty of other stuff too, for which I thank you and Flogger. I never did get 'round to learning enough to personally make a particularly compelling case for AGW admittedly, beyond the rather feeble threat of two extra degrees' warming from CO2 alone if our emissions remain stable... in a mere 170-odd years :shock: But I've got a better handle on how much there is to learn about the science (and about the critics) if I ever want to do so!

The key to the entire debate is this:

To prove something, you must prove it. To doubt something, you only need to be unconvinced.

I doubt the accuracy of the claims and the predictions and the foundation of the Science that they claim is settled. If there was proof for the whole thing, they would be able to state it as a hypothesis and define the test that could falsify the hypothesis. Nobody anywhere has ever done this. In view of this obvious shortcoming, there is all kinds of room for doubt.

Also in view of this shortcoming, there is plenty of room to pile in some proof since there is none there yet.

I keep saying that the case for AGW is as strong as the case for the history of UFO's visiting our planet in crafts piloted by space aliens and that is because the quality of evidence is the same.

I doubt the possibility that UFO's visited for the same reason that I doubt AGW Science Causation Conclusions. Both are possible. Neither is proven.

If you have the proof, the proof for either, you are free to present it.

Deleted with my apologies. Without explanation it was just inflammatory, and I can't be bothered explaining.

Last edited:
The key to the entire debate is this:

To prove something, you must prove it. To doubt something, you only need to be unconvinced.

I doubt the accuracy of the claims and the predictions and the foundation of the Science that they claim is settled. If there was proof for the whole thing, they would be able to state it as a hypothesis and define the test that could falsify the hypothesis. Nobody anywhere has ever done this. In view of this obvious shortcoming, there is all kinds of room for doubt.

Also in view of this shortcoming, there is plenty of room to pile in some proof since there is none there yet.

I keep saying that the case for AGW is as strong as the case for the history of UFO's visiting our planet in crafts piloted by space aliens and that is because the quality of evidence is the same.

I doubt the possibility that UFO's visited for the same reason that I doubt AGW Science Causation Conclusions. Both are possible. Neither is proven.

If you have the proof, the proof for either, you are free to present it.

The point that is being deliberately missed is that this burden of proof is entirely for the advocate position to find.

As bitter experience has shown (especially in this instance) you cant make someone see what they choose not to. If people want to find an affirmation of biases that they cherish they will find such disinformation easily or ignore and misinterpret what valid information does get presented as suits their entrenched position. Once we stop questioning alleged absolutes and certainties for their basis in fact we stray from the scientific realm into the theological one. Once you then introduce the political dynamic all reason and objectivity is lost sadly :(

Thanks for your responses, anyways. As noted, I reckon I'll be calling it quits on the global warming discussion now - I think I've learned enough to conclude that scepticism and denial of the conclusions of most climatologists does not appear to rest on very solid ground.

No you came here to publicly wave a flag and are happy to have now done so nothing more :(

Catch phrase? This?
"ScienceSkepticalBlog
Politik | Wissenschaft | Klima & Energie"

From the German text of the second article on the main page, here's a (very) loose Google translation:
"Disappear uncomfortable truths - IPCC adapts its models retrofitted to
After the summary on Friday had already appeared for policy makers of the new IPCC report, the report of Working Group 1, Scientific foundations, the public was presented yesterday. Even before the publication of one aspect had been discussed quite intensively in the press and on Internet forums. How would the IPCC deal with the unpleasant fact that it has not become warmer as expected in the last 15 years. Especially the fact that 98 percent of the climate models used for the predictions have not previously seen such a standstill occasion should be enough, the methodology and the ...
"

Yes... very pro-AGW :roll:

I'm struggling to make heads or tails of your earlier post, but since you struggle to recognise the difference between the English site -
www.skepticalscience.com
- and the German site -
www.science-skeptical.deutschland (Germany)
- I think we can safely presume that your recollections of what I did or did not post (let alone how I felt about it!) may not be the most reliable information in the world ;)

I'll look forward to Code's reply to post #517, which I think was the last marginally productive post in the thread, but otherwise I think I'll follow Flogger's example and call it quits on the discussion; I reckon by now I've learned enough to be going on with :2wave:

LOL,my bad, when you wrote "Science Skeptical Blog' I assumed you meant "skeptical science blog" because frankly I have never heard of "science skeptical blog".

Sorry, apologies for my incorrect assumption.

But, my error doesn't make yours go away dude.. I admitted to mine, you haven't yet... So there we are..

And I really doubt your intentions were to do anything more than represent the warmers side of the debate. AFter it is all you have done..

Back
Top Bottom