• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New tattoo rules for service men and women.

But the circus freaks control the military.

I've never heard Obama and PC liberals being referred to as circus freaks before.

I've heard the Democrat Party being called a circus or a carnival and most carnivals do have freaks.

Moderator's Warning:
And both of you stop the trolling.

Never saw a General or CO who was covered in ink, or had any visible tattoos. There's a reason for that.

The article below is from a U.S. military (government) website. It was posted just around when Obama started his agenda of "redefining the purpose and character of the U.S. military."

I'm surprised it hasn't been scrubbed from the internet yet.

Tattoos and the Army: a long and colorful tradition

September 19, 2009

By Staff Sgt. Stephanie van Geete

CONTINGENCY OPERATING BASE SPEICHER, Iraq -- Tattoos and the military have a long and colorful history. Modern pop culture credits the Navy with introducing the art of tattooing to the United States in the early 1900s, when Sailors returning from distant lands displayed their skin-art souvenirs.

Although the times have changed, the military's love affair with tattoos has not. Today, it seems, you couldn't throw a rock into an Army formation without hitting a Soldier with at least one tattoo.

"I would say, across combat arms especially, probably a good 90% of everyone has a tattoo," said Staff Sgt. James Campbell, a tattooed infantryman and platoon sergeant with Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 10th Combat Aviation Brigade.

While styles and themes vary greatly depending on the tastes of each individual, there are definite trends among Army tattoo enthusiasts, with a large number of tattooed Soldiers sporting Americana- and military-themed ink. That might not seem surprising until you consider that very few civilians walk around with their company's corporate logo permanently etched on their skin...

continue -> Tattoos and the Army: a long and colorful tradition | Article | The United States Army

The article below is from a U.S. military (government) website. It was posted just around when Obama started his agenda of "redefining the purpose and character of the U.S. military."

The problem isn't tattoos, it's tattoos that are visible in uniform.

And if you're going to quote me, get my name right. Calling me a french marxist is pathetic and childish.

Nothing can be "scrubbed" from the internet. Even if Obama sits in that room you guys think he hides in and keeps an eye on you "great" conservative Americans, after it hits the internet, it is never really gone. Paranoia much? I have my USMC but knew to keep it under my sleeve, and that was in the early 80's. Army tats usually suck from what I have seen. Tats have officially been discouraged for decades on the Navy side of the services and the tats on the Army side have always sucked. Not Obama's idea.

Tattoos and the Army: a long and colorful tradition

September 19, 2009

By Staff Sgt. Stephanie van Geete

CONTINGENCY OPERATING BASE SPEICHER, Iraq -- Tattoos and the military have a long and colorful history. Modern pop culture credits the Navy with introducing the art of tattooing to the United States in the early 1900s, when Sailors returning from distant lands displayed their skin-art souvenirs.

Although the times have changed, the military's love affair with tattoos has not. Today, it seems, you couldn't throw a rock into an Army formation without hitting a Soldier with at least one tattoo.

"I would say, across combat arms especially, probably a good 90% of everyone has a tattoo," said Staff Sgt. James Campbell, a tattooed infantryman and platoon sergeant with Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 10th Combat Aviation Brigade.

While styles and themes vary greatly depending on the tastes of each individual, there are definite trends among Army tattoo enthusiasts, with a large number of tattooed Soldiers sporting Americana- and military-themed ink. That might not seem surprising until you consider that very few civilians walk around with their company's corporate logo permanently etched on their skin...

continue -> Tattoos and the Army: a long and colorful tradition | Article | The United States Army

The problem isn't tattoos, it's tattoos that are visible in uniform.

And if you're going to quote me, get my name right. Calling me a french marxist is pathetic and childish.

It wasn't me, I noticed that.

It must be a PD computer glitch.

I have no problem with the Army's new tat regulations. no ink below the elbow. The Marines have had such a policy for some time now.

Now if the Navy were to have such a regulation then it's going against naval customs and traditions. Not a smart thing to do with all of the navy superstitions. You might find ships going to sea and their guns don't work.

HISTORY OF THE MILITARY TATTOO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two million veterans currently carry with them one of the most identifiable and permanent symbols of military service ever used – the tattoo. Although it was once solely the realm of barnacled sailors and outlaw bikers, tattoos are now so mainstream that they have almost become a requirement for celebrities. However, the military tattoo is a special case, with a foot in two worlds. In one sense, military tattoos are much like any other type of tattoo, serving many personal purposes ranging from mementos, milestones, and memorials to risk-taking behavior, sheer body adornment, and even curiosity. In the other sense though, in their long and varied past, these symbols in the skin have also managed to capture not only personal history but military history as well.

Military themes in tattooing are no recent fad. In fact, the world over, tattooing in general may go back as early as the Paleolithic or Stone age. Unfortunately we will never know where or when tattooing actually originated since human skin does not preserve well, except in the most extraordinary of circumstances. Perhaps the most famous of all ancient tattooed people is Otzi, the Ice Man of the Alps who was discovered in 1991. His mummy, created by having been covered with glacial ice shortly after his death, is the oldest known human skin ever discovered – 5,300 years old – and it is tattooed. Otzi has 59 separate tattoos, consisting of small dark blue dots, plus signs, and short parallel lines. Speculation about the meaning of his tattoos abounds but two of the most interesting interpretations are that his tattoos are therapeutic (located directly over arthritic areas of his body) or that they signaled membership in a group (perhaps an ethnic or tribal group). In this latter interpretation, we begin to see some of the earliest precursors to military tattoos, specifically the projection of group identity. One of the most famous of generals in human history was keen to observe much the same in one of his opponents

continue -> Military Tattoo info and history at Texas Body Art Tattoo Studio

Nothing can be "scrubbed" from the internet. Even if Obama sits in that room you guys think he hides in and keeps an eye on you "great" conservative Americans, after it hits the internet, it is never really gone. Paranoia much? I have my USMC but knew to keep it under my sleeve, and that was in the early 80's. Army tats usually suck from what I have seen. Tats have officially been discouraged for decades on the Navy side of the services and the tats on the Army side have always sucked. Not Obama's idea.

I'm aware once it's on the internet it's there for life even if someone took it down.

No way will Obama be able to actually scrub the White House snitch on your fellow American website.

HISTORY OF THE MILITARY TATTOO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two million veterans currently carry with them one of the most identifiable and permanent symbols of military service ever used – the tattoo. Although it was once solely the realm of barnacled sailors and outlaw bikers, tattoos are now so mainstream that they have almost become a requirement for celebrities. However, the military tattoo is a special case, with a foot in two worlds. In one sense, military tattoos are much like any other type of tattoo, serving many personal purposes ranging from mementos, milestones, and memorials to risk-taking behavior, sheer body adornment, and even curiosity. In the other sense though, in their long and varied past, these symbols in the skin have also managed to capture not only personal history but military history as well.

Military themes in tattooing are no recent fad. In fact, the world over, tattooing in general may go back as early as the Paleolithic or Stone age. Unfortunately we will never know where or when tattooing actually originated since human skin does not preserve well, except in the most extraordinary of circumstances. Perhaps the most famous of all ancient tattooed people is Otzi, the Ice Man of the Alps who was discovered in 1991. His mummy, created by having been covered with glacial ice shortly after his death, is the oldest known human skin ever discovered – 5,300 years old – and it is tattooed. Otzi has 59 separate tattoos, consisting of small dark blue dots, plus signs, and short parallel lines. Speculation about the meaning of his tattoos abounds but two of the most interesting interpretations are that his tattoos are therapeutic (located directly over arthritic areas of his body) or that they signaled membership in a group (perhaps an ethnic or tribal group). In this latter interpretation, we begin to see some of the earliest precursors to military tattoos, specifically the projection of group identity. One of the most famous of generals in human history was keen to observe much the same in one of his opponents

continue -> Military Tattoo info and history at Texas Body Art Tattoo Studio

Very interesting read! :thumbs:

Greetings, APACHERAT. :2wave:

Very interesting read! :thumbs:

Greetings, APACHERAT. :2wave:

Evening Polgaria.

Berry Goldwater was a Lt. Col in the Air Force and had a tattoo below his elbow. Actually I believed it was on his hand.

President Teddy Roosevely supposedly had a tattoo of his family crest. and so did FDR.

Rep. Mary Bono (R) has a tat.

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R) a Marine Corps officer, has tattoos on his arms to commemorate his three deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

One day, we'll no longer judge people on appearances.

Never will happen. There is a reason why most high paying jobs require you go in suit and tie for an interview and not jeans and a T-shirt to get the job.

I haven't got one since my 20's but dont regret it at all. It dont eat much...
Bull****, I am 50 and got my first one at 22. Got my most recent one 6 months ago.

The Military is a professional organization. If you want to look like a circus freak, do it somewhere else.
So I guess you would like to see all currently tattooed people kicked out of the service?

If they have tattoos that are visible in uniform, they shouldn't be allowed to reenlist unless they have the ink removed.
Sorry it aint 1955 any longer, its 2013. Deal with it.

Sorry it aint 1955 any longer, its 2013. Deal with it.

Visible tattoos will always look like crap, and detract from the professional image of the uniform regardless of what year it is. New regulations banning visible tattoos are already being implemented, so deal with that.

Visible tattoos will always look like crap, and detract from the professional image of the uniform regardless of what year it is. New regulations banning visible tattoos are already being implemented, so deal with that.

Notate my first few posts on the matter. Here, I want you to go kill and or die for me. Just look like a GI Joe figure. And dont offend anyone.

Used to be, you'd go into the military tattoo free, and come out with a few. Not full sleeves, mind, but usually significant. I know a LOT of former military guys with cavalry, infantry, etc tats. Right of passage, really.

All of them hidden by uniform lines however. And if you got infected or the Top noticed and didn't like it you got gigged with article 15 for damaging government property.

And the United States is made up of all colors, some chosen some not. Open your mind.

That is fine.

tattoo-freaks.jpg

67q5wcx1.jpg

You are welcome to form your own military and recruit people like this then. I do not want to serve next to them. It is not professional, and it is not appropriate.

All of them hidden by uniform lines however. And if you got infected or the Top noticed and didn't like it you got gigged with article 15 for damaging government property.

Actually, while that is often the "Urban Legend", it is not quite true. Because I know one guy that got such an article 15.

But it is not under Article 108, "Destruction of Government Property". We ourselves are not "Government Property", so that does not apply.

Instead, we are charged under Article 115:

ART 115. MALINGERING

Any person subject to this chapter who for the purpose of avoiding work, duty, or service–

(1) feigns illness, physical disablement, mental lapse or derangement; or

(2) intentionally inflects self-injury;

shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

They actually got one guy in my last unit because he got a piercing in a non-visible part of the body, and it got infected. So he was charged for violating a lawful order, and malingering. I also knew one guy in the Marines who after his 4th bad sunburn in a year got charged with malingering (he seemed to get them right before going to the field every time, so he would have to be trucked out instead of doing the 15+ mile hikes).

Which if you are a student of military history is somewhat ironic. At one time when people were kicked out of the military, they were branded so they could not go elsewhere and enlist. Now you get kicked out of the military for branding.

Back
Top Bottom