• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Study Links Poverty With Social Media Addiction

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Social media addiction is a growing problem in today’s society, with increasing numbers of people becoming reliant on social media platforms for communication, entertainment, and validation. Research has shown that excessive social media use can lead to negative outcomes such as decreased self-esteem, loneliness, and reduced face-to-face communication skills.

According to research conducted by an international team including Professor Frank Elgar from McGill University, adolescents from lower-income backgrounds are more likely to report addictive use of social media. The study found a connection between economic inequality and the problematic use of social networking platforms and instant messaging apps.

The researchers identified problematic social media use in teens who reported six or more addiction-like behaviors, such as feeling bad when not using social media, trying but failing to spend less time using it, and using social media to escape from negative feelings.
========================================================
Especially with fascist Elon Musk taking over Twitter, the Russians & hate groups are having a field day with SM.

Personally, I have a smart phone but have only used it once (in a test) since I bought it 2 years ago. Social media is producing negative results akin to a plague. Poverty, such as not having enough money to pay your rent or mortgage, has been a direct economic result. Showing up to storm the Capitol was another result. Caveat emptor.

Social media addiction is a growing problem in today’s society, with increasing numbers of people becoming reliant on social media platforms for communication, entertainment, and validation. Research has shown that excessive social media use can lead to negative outcomes such as decreased self-esteem, loneliness, and reduced face-to-face communication skills.

According to research conducted by an international team including Professor Frank Elgar from McGill University, adolescents from lower-income backgrounds are more likely to report addictive use of social media. The study found a connection between economic inequality and the problematic use of social networking platforms and instant messaging apps.

The researchers identified problematic social media use in teens who reported six or more addiction-like behaviors, such as feeling bad when not using social media, trying but failing to spend less time using it, and using social media to escape from negative feelings.
Especially with fascist Elon Musk taking over Twitter, the Russians & hate groups are having a field day with SM.

Personally, I have a smart phone but have only used it once (in a test) since I bought it 2 years ago. Social media is producing negative results akin to a plague. Poverty, such as not having enough money to pay your rent or mortgage, has been a direct economic result. Showing up to storm the Capitol was another result. Caveat emptor.
Never had it. DP is the extent of my social media.

I’ve been trying to tell people it’s not a good thing for at least as long as I’ve been trying to point out that propaganda/persuasion is a real problem in this country.

Might it be that poorly educated and less intelligent people tend to be both poorer and heavy users of anti-social media? Indirect correlations as it were?

Back
Top Bottom