• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

National debt. learn to live with it

ricksfolly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Every country in the western world has a national debt, and based on our GDP and population, ours is the smallest. It's a burden we're all familiar with, but rarely think about. Personal debts are by far our biggest concern.

The average total debt in 2009 (including credit cards, mortgage, home equity, student loans and more) for U.S. households with credit card debt was $54,000, and chances are, it will never be paid.

Fortunately, the national debt doesn't effect our paychecks, and there'll always be some kind of personal debt problem we can either approach responsibly or ignore.

ricksfolly

Every country in the western world has a national debt, and based on our GDP and population, ours is the smallest. It's a burden we're all familiar with, but rarely think about. Personal debts are by far our biggest concern.

The average total debt in 2009 (including credit cards, mortgage, home equity, student loans and more) for U.S. households with credit card debt was $54,000, and chances are, it will never be paid.

Fortunately, the national debt doesn't effect our paychecks, and there'll always be some kind of personal debt problem we can either approach responsibly or ignore.

ricksfolly
US national debt is not the lowest as a % of gpd, At the end of this year, Australia, Norway, I expect Canada will have lower debt to GDP ratios. I expect the UK will still be lower, I believe Germany might be lower as well

Do either of you two have a scrap of data to show?

ricksfolly

Thank you for the post. If more Americans understood the difference and the implications we would all be in a better place. I would like to have more education on this topic and how to manage debt.

We do need a small amount of National debt to offer secured bonds but not 13 Trillion. ** :(

Thank you for the post. If more Americans understood the difference and the implications we would all be in a better place. I would like to have more education on this topic and how to manage debt.

We do need a small amount of National debt to offer secured bonds but not 13 Trillion. ** :(

I agree with you... There is always going to be some debt for loans and saving accounts. People rail against the debt, while they are contributing to it. I think we should realize that.

Back
Top Bottom