• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My opinion on filling Supreme Court vacancies close to an election

Like it or not....the President nominates the pick and the Senate confirms or denies.....it's the way it is. Do you actually think if it's a democratic president and a democratic controlled senate, that the lefties would wait, lol?
Well, not anymore, cuz the GOP has demonstrated it's a naked power grab and nothing else matters. So now I guess everyone has to play by their unprincipled (lack of) rules. Stack the court, violate every norm ever, none of it matters, just power.

Senate can make rules, and Graham did.

It's a bad idea to make the Republican garbage in 2016 the new rule - so that a president can't appoint his last year, or even as McConnell wanted for FOUR years. End the garbage, but only after Republicans have paid back for their theft.

Ginsberg is a traditionalist. She is old enough to remember sensible Eisenhower Republicans.

Such quaint views are pretty naïve when Repugs are already pissing on her grave.

I don't really plan to continue this nonsense.

But a little history - FDR was about as powerful a president as there's been, by his second term that would become four. His core, popular programs to save America in the depression were being blocked by a partisan Supreme Court, headed by a formed Republican nominee for president. And HE didn't get away with 'court packing' and it was his singular most unpopular act to try in his presidency. You calling Ginsberg naive...

I wonder how many interns the Democrats have working 20 hour days trying to dig up dirt on potential picks?

It's a bad idea to make the Republican garbage in 2016 the new rule - so that a president can't appoint his last year, or even as McConnell wanted for FOUR years. End the garbage, but only after Republicans have paid back for their theft.

They stole a seat from Obama, there wasn't one legitimate reason other than a pure power grab.

If there ever were a reason to wait for an election, I should think 40 days out, when we have a nominee, would be it.

But, because of their theft, let's use a metaphor, they are street fighters, they don't play fair, so now is not the time to play fair with these MoFos.
Stop the nomination by any means possible, I say. Stack the court if we get the house and senate and presidency, because there is no way in hell a 6/3 court is acceptable to democrats
See, repubs want a stacked court to forward their agenda, because they know they don't have enough people in the electorate to give them the authority or power, they are losing
more and more of the electorate, every year. They've done a clever job with gerrymandering, so that needs to be undone. Lots' of shit they've done needs to be undone, and lots of crap
they undid needs to be rebuilt they've really ****ed up the country. It will take time to fix the damage they have done.

IF Repubs want a truce, McConnell should ask Trump to nominate Garland,

Short of that, it's war.

I don't really plan to continue this nonsense.

But a little history - FDR was about as powerful a president as there's been, by his second term that would become four. His core, popular programs to save America in the depression were being blocked by a partisan Supreme Court, headed by a formed Republican nominee for president. And HE didn't get away with 'court packing' and it was his singular most unpopular act to try in his presidency. You calling Ginsberg naive...

I liked Ginsberg very much, but her opinions were not infallible. She made some pretty dumb comments about Colin Kaepernick a few years ago.

The only problem is.....back then it was a democrat President and a majority republican Senate....that is NOT the case today. Total different scenerio, but the libs and their talking points, lol.....like the rest of us cannot see what you are doing......come on man!
If you go read those quotes again (you can read, right?) you'll notice they never mention a senate majority. That's because it didn't ****ing matter to their excuses then, and it doesn't matter now. They claimed that supreme court appointments in an election year should be delayed so that the voters would have a chance to decide. We are now much closer to an election than we were in 2016, and they are going to rush it to PREVENT voters from having a say. This is the exact opposite of their previous argument.

Those who have a problem with filling this seat I am the bearer of bad news. It is being reported that McConnell has the 51 votes to confirm. All the jurists being considered have already gone through this process recently. The only cases that will be relevant regardless of which one Trump picks will be the cases on the bench in their new positions because they were already raked through the coals the first time around.

Take Amy Coney Barrett whom many believe is on the short list was nominated by Trump for the position for the 7th district court of appeals.. To get her out of committee the vote was split down party lines. The Senate confirmed her by a vote of 55–43 on October 31,2017 with three Democrats Joe Donnelly, Tim Kaine, and Joe Manchin voting for her. Will these Democrats vote to confirm her this time around? 😉

Another to be rumored on the list is Barbara Lagoa a very recent Trump nominee confirmed for the 11th district court of appeals. After Desantis won governor in Florida he nominated her to the Florida Supreme Court and very shortly after Trump nominated her for the 11th district. court of appeals. She has a very interesting life as her parents fled Castro's Cuba. She became well known in Florida when she was one of the lawyers who represented the Miami family of Elián González. The senate confirmed her nomination by a vote of 80–15, If it is her, will those Democrats confirm her this time around? ;)

It doesn't matter if they do or don't, McConnell has the votes.

In short, I'm for it. If there's a vacancy close to an election, the president is still in office at that time, and has every right to exercise his or her powers to the last day they're in office. It's normal politics for them to want to get to select a justice, and even though it is a lifetime appointment, they were elected and there's nothing really wrong with it.

But, since Republican stole a seat so egregiously in 2016, with bad and dishonest arguments we knew were lies but are now proven lies, they owe Democrats a seat - just because of hypocrisy and justice, they need to be held to their behavior in 2016, and not get to appoint this Justice.

Democrats should do basically anything they can to make sure that happens, though it's very difficult. Any voters with any patriotism or morals should vote out any who do not in November. Republican voters have shamed themselves badly with their naked pursuit of power at any cost, including voter suppression, buying elections by special interests, and stunts like the Supreme Court theft.

I'd like to see Republicans not get to appoint this vacancy, and for Biden to appoint it, and then to return to normalcy where the president gets to appoint it any time they're in office (short of extreme situations like a vacancy on January 19 the day before leaving office). Otherwise, it's baseless, made-up limits - and McConnell was openly talking about plans to block Hillary all four years as I recall.

A bigger problem is the risk of the lame duck period - imagine trump and the Republican Senate voted out, knowing they're voted out, with over two months left. Imagine a Republican House. They could do practically anything corrupt during that period, not caring about the people's wishes even more than they usually don't, with no election issues, happy to spite the voters who voted them out.

It's not quite clear what to do about that issue. There are 'norms' and 'decency' to politicians respecting the voters' choice, but it's clear those don't exist for Republicans.

that lie sort of destroys any valid point you might have tried to make. and pretending that the lefties are somehow more principled than the Right, is beyond stupid

They stole a seat from Obama, there wasn't one legitimate reason other than a pure power grab.

We agree. I'm not sure from your post if you understand that. Do all we can to prevent them getting this nomination, but if we do, return to normalcy when a president can always make an appointment. There have been 29 times an opening came up in the last year or lame duck; in all 29, presidents made nominations (though except once they were only approved when their party had the Senate).

Unfortunately, THAT part seems locked in place.

When a president DOES make a last minute nomination, it seems there's little question it'll have almost no chance with an opposition Senate, and a very good chance with the same party Senate, as it's always been.

As long as the Senate has its power to do that, it's hard to see how that'll change.

Obama bent over backwards by nominating someone REPUBLICANS suggested they'd support. Let's hope Democrats find a way to prevent the Republicans having a lock on the court with a radical agenda.

We agree. I'm not sure from your post if you understand that. Do all we can to prevent them getting this nomination, but if we do, return to normalcy when a president can always make an appointment. There have been 29 times an opening came up in the last year or lame duck; in all 29, presidents made nominations (though except once they were only approved when their party had the Senate).

Unfortunately, THAT part seems locked in place.

When a president DOES make a last minute nomination, it seems there's little question it'll have almost no chance with an opposition Senate, and a very good chance with the same party Senate, as it's always been.

As long as the Senate has its power to do that, it's hard to see how that'll change.

Obama bent over backwards by nominating someone REPUBLICANS suggested they'd support. Let's hope Democrats find a way to prevent the Republicans having a lock on the court with a radical agenda.

You don't wear proper gloves and gear when your opponent is taken it to a street fight.

We get them out of the picture by any justifiable means, fix their damage, then return life to normal.

You don't wear proper gloves and gear when your opponent is taken it to a street fight.

We get them out of the picture by any justifiable means, fix their damage, then return life to normal.

Why are you basically posting the same thing I said, but as if you are disagreeing?

I pointed out I can't tell if you understand we're agreeing, and I still can't tell.

The only problem is.....back then it was a democrat President and a majority republican Senate....that is NOT the case today. Total different scenerio, but the libs and their talking points, lol.....like the rest of us cannot see what you are doing......come on man!

None of the senators depriving Obama of his nomination mentioned anything about 'when president's party and majority senate's party are the same'.

No mention, they didn't say a damn thing about it, and now they are making the rules as they go along. They are hypocrites.

And, when you think about it, it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference, it's just hypocrites grasping at straws hoping no one will notice the depth of their hypocrisy, and it epic, make no mistake about it.

Those who have a problem with filling this seat I am the bearer of bad news. It is being reported that McConnell has the 51 votes to confirm. All the jurists being considered have already gone through this process recently. The only cases that will be relevant regardless of which one Trump picks will be the cases on the bench in their new positions because they were already raked through the coals the first time around.

Take Amy Coney Barrett whom many believe is on the short list was nominated by Trump for the position for the 7th district court of appeals.. To get her out of committee the vote was split down party lines. The Senate confirmed her by a vote of 55–43 on October 31,2017 with three Democrats Joe Donnelly, Tim Kaine, and Joe Manchin voting for her. Will these Democrats vote to confirm her this time around? 😉

Another to be rumored on the list is Barbara Lagoa a very recent Trump nominee confirmed for the 11th district court of appeals. After Desantis won governor in Florida he nominated her to the Florida Supreme Court and very shortly after Trump nominated her for the 11th district. court of appeals. She has a very interesting life as her parents fled Castro's Cuba. She became well known in Florida when she was one of the lawyers who represented the Miami family of Elián González. The senate confirmed her nomination by a vote of 80–15, If it is her, will those Democrats confirm her this time around? ;)

It doesn't matter if they do or don't, McConnell has the votes.

I guarantee you if dems get the house and senate and the white house, this 6/3 tyranny of the minority in SCOTUS, who will rule in ways not in accordance with a majority of the electorate, it will not stand. We will do something about, like it or not.

This 6/3 bullshit will backfire in a very big way. You can count on it.

Trump will nominate lagoa, because he desperately needs Florida and she's hispanic, and from Florida.

Repubs want to:
1. Kill health care for 20,000,000 during a pandemic, which will lead to many more deaths.
2. Reverse Roe V Wade, despite 70 years of precedent
3. Privatize the post office
4 Privatize social security or kill it all together
5. Privatize medicare or kill it altogether.
6. End public education and replace with vouchers and private schools
7 End the corporate tax
8 give more tax breaks to the superrich
9 Increase spending on military

Dems will not let a right wing agenda come to pass, not now, not tomorrow, not ever.

Yeah, and how many repubs voted for Garland when he was appointed to the federal bench? I think it was unanimous.

So cut the crap.

Last edited:
Why are you basically posting the same thing I said, but as if you are disagreeing?

I pointed out I can't tell if you understand we're agreeing, and I still can't tell.

I am agreeing with you, Craig. Dont mistake my tone, I'm in a bad mood because of Trump and it just affects my writing.
:)

Well, not anymore, cuz the GOP has demonstrated it's a naked power grab and nothing else matters. So now I guess everyone has to play by their unprincipled (lack of) rules. Stack the court, violate every norm ever, none of it matters, just power.
How is it a 'naked power grab?' They are following a process laid out in the Constitution.

How is it a 'naked power grab?' They are following a process laid out in the Constitution.

Senate republicans people are a trip. I swear, they make me want to vomit.

McConnell said that depriving Obama of his Constitutional right to nominate a judge, not even allow for a hearing and a vote, in the last year of his presidency equaled 'advise and consent'.

The founding fathers never imagined a Senate, a group of noble and learned men, they thought, would be so low that they would engage in a petty partisan move whereby one party would cling to power so much so as not to allow a sitting president to nominate a judge, and deny him or her, who well deserved, at the minimum, a hearing ( where the actual 'advise and consent' takes place ) and a vote.

They didn't imagine that in the future, the caliber of the Senate would decline so much, that they should have 'defined' more clearly, what they meant by 'advise and consent'. Had they the ability to foresee such a Senate, they most surely would have, in my view.

It begs the question" Why no hearing and vote? The Senators know Garland. they know he's qualified, and so, with a hearing and a vote, they'd have to look him in the eye and vote against him, and they KNOW that if they gave a hearing, they would not be able to look him in the eye and say 'you're not qualified". They didn't give him a hearing and a vote because they lack spine and integrity. By not giving a hearing and a vote they prove, incontrovertibly, they are cowards. And, we now can add 'colossal hypocrites' to that list of adjectives.

That's why.

In my view, that's a gross conflagration of the spirit of that clause.

"constitutional' my ass.

the day will come when republicans are relegated to the dustbin of history, and you'll not get statue, not even a plaque, but you will get an asterisk, that's it.

Last edited:
Like it or not....the President nominates the pick and the Senate confirms or denies.....it's the way it is. Do you actually think if it's a democratic president and a democratic controlled senate, that the lefties would wait, lol?

The moral of the story is that Republicans cannot be trusted. They are skunks. The worst. The same people defending McConnell opposed Merrick Garland because it was too close to an election... like, 10 months before.

Anyone who believes this wouldn't be the same situation on either side is not being honest with themselves.

Not quite true. When the shoe was on the other foot, noting that Dems did not nuke the filibuster for SCOTUS appointments, and they sure as hell could have, it took several votes from the other side to confirm a SCOTUS appointment. Unlike republicans, given that a supreme court justice is appointed for life, and that his votes can have a profound effect on Americans for a long time, dems believed that that important of a decision should be bipartisan. We wouldn't have waited, but several of your party would have weighed in on the appointment. That's no longer true, Repubs dont' give a damn any more, about what the left thinks. They nuked the filibuster for Scotus nominations.

But, republicans are comfortable making such an important decision with no participation from the other side, which is why they nuked the filibuster for SCOTUS appointments. They did it as a tit for tat for Reid's nuking the filibuster for federal bench appointments, but Reid had no choice. Fed judges were overworked, and judgeships had to be filled, and Senate repubs were, because of the filibuster, were blocking via filibusters all fed bench nominations en masse. The only way Obama could get judges was to nuke the filibuster for fed bench nominations. But, When republicans took over the senate, they blocked ALL bench appointments and at that point, of course, Reid's move backfired. But, filibuster or not, Obama was not to get his judges because of republicans playing power grab and not doing their job. They think that grabbing power is their job. That is not what the founding fathers had in mind at all.

Trump likes to brag his record of appointments is 'historic' totally ignorant of the fact that the only reason he has been allowed to make that many appointments is because McConnell blocked, en masse, all appointments by Obama, leaving those positions open. then they have the gall to think that, because they won the house, that they have a 'mandate'. No, more people voted for dems in the house and senate, but due to three factors:

1. Historically speaking, democrats tend to be lazy and not vote during off presidential vote years. It's a sad, but true fact ( though the right has woken us up, of late )
2 The districts which send congresspersons to the house , have been gerrymandered in favor of republicans.
3. The 2 senators per state system, over time and the evolution of the urban states, now favors republicans. The forefathers were unable to foresee this.

They are able to wrestle control.

That they controlled the house and senate during Obama was NOT because it was the 'will of the people' it was due to the will of a minority ( older folks mainly, who vote republican ) who are far more likely to vote during off president years.

Well, as of 2018, dems have been woken up. We are voting a lot more now, and the right is going to feel our collective wrath, as there are far more of us than there are of them.

Republicans ( excluding the Lincoln repubs ) are not about democracy, they don't give a damn about 'bipartisanship' , they are interested in one thing and one thing only, power. Naked power. The will of the people be damned.

2,868,676 more votes were cast for a democrat president in 2016, 17,537,638 more votes were cast for democrats in the senate in 2018, and 9,710,275 more votes were cast for democrats in the house in 2018, Biden is ahead nationally by several points. These incontrovertible facts prove that democrats, overall, have the message that the public favors, but republicans don't give a damn.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what the Democrats have NOT done...they don't boo people and yell at people for wearing masks. Like the hopelessly stupid trailer trash unsophisticated goober Trump followers. As ****ing stupid as they come.

Lol, yeah I didn't think so, because all the democrats have done is complain about Trump, while they are inviting others to Chinatown during a pandemic and permitting planes to enter the USA from China, during a pandemic which originated in Wuhan, China. Doesn't it get old to be on the losing side?

Huh? Were you alive in 2016? Rs invented a new standard, no lame duck nominees. Now they change their fabricated new standard?

Whether democrat or republican, both parties will confirm a presidential nominee, when only one party is holding both offices......both democrat, for sure confirm a justice.....both republican, for sure confirm a justice. Why on earth do you think the republicans are going to give up the chance on picking a justice to the Supreme Court? In 2016, it was a democratic president with a republican senate.....it's not that way, today. So, your talking point is moot and meaningless.

In short, I'm for it. If there's a vacancy close to an election, the president is still in office at that time, and has every right to exercise his or her powers to the last day they're in office. It's normal politics for them to want to get to select a justice, and even though it is a lifetime appointment, they were elected and there's nothing really wrong with it.

But, since Republican stole a seat so egregiously in 2016, with bad and dishonest arguments we knew were lies but are now proven lies, they owe Democrats a seat - just because of hypocrisy and justice, they need to be held to their behavior in 2016, and not get to appoint this Justice.

Democrats should do basically anything they can to make sure that happens, though it's very difficult. Any voters with any patriotism or morals should vote out any who do not in November. Republican voters have shamed themselves badly with their naked pursuit of power at any cost, including voter suppression, buying elections by special interests, and stunts like the Supreme Court theft.

I'd like to see Republicans not get to appoint this vacancy, and for Biden to appoint it, and then to return to normalcy where the president gets to appoint it any time they're in office (short of extreme situations like a vacancy on January 19 the day before leaving office). Otherwise, it's baseless, made-up limits - and McConnell was openly talking about plans to block Hillary all four years as I recall.

A bigger problem is the risk of the lame duck period - imagine trump and the Republican Senate voted out, knowing they're voted out, with over two months left. Imagine a Republican House. They could do practically anything corrupt during that period, not caring about the people's wishes even more than they usually don't, with no election issues, happy to spite the voters who voted them out.

It's not quite clear what to do about that issue. There are 'norms' and 'decency' to politicians respecting the voters' choice, but it's clear those don't exist for Republicans.
The Republicans owe nothing. They were in charge of the Senate at the time, and were well within their right to block a lefty from being seated on the Supreme Court. Are you seriously saying the Dems wouldn't have done the same thing? Please.

Whether democrat or republican, both parties will confirm a presidential nominee, when only one party is holding both offices......both democrat, for sure confirm a justice.....both republican, for sure confirm a justice. Why on earth do you think the republicans are going to give up the chance on picking a justice to the Supreme Court? In 2016, it was a democratic president with a republican senate.....it's not that way, today. So, your talking point is moot and meaningless.
This is your modern day Republican party. Anyone who doesn't understand that them and their culture need to be grounded down into dust is fooling themselves.

None of the senators depriving Obama of his nomination mentioned anything about 'when president's party and majority senate's party are the same'.

No mention, they didn't say a damn thing about it, and now they are making the rules as they go along. They are hypocrites.

And, when you think about it, it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference, it's just hypocrites grasping at straws hoping no one will notice the depth of their hypocrisy, and it epic, make no mistake about it.

A liberal, leftist democrat calling republicans a hypocrite, now that's too funny!

Back
Top Bottom