• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My adventure in cutting the cord.

Its a little easier I think for people that grew up with 2 or 3 channels...4 if someone held the rabbit ears just right...to 'settle' for broadcast TV..which has about 20 channels these days. And its free. but its nice having options. We use SLING. The downside to providers like SLING is that eventually they pull the same tricks with cable and start charging additional prices for more channels. OH...and if you arent communicating, before long someone has signed up for NETFLIX...and someone else has signed up for HULU........

Better to be active and outdoors...then TV feels like a luxury.

Its a little easier I think for people that grew up with 2 or 3 channels...4 if someone held the rabbit ears just right...to 'settle' for broadcast TV..which has about 20 channels these days. And its free. but its nice having options. We use SLING. The downside to providers like SLING is that eventually they pull the same tricks with cable and start charging additional prices for more channels. OH...and if you arent communicating, before long someone has signed up for NETFLIX...and someone else has signed up for HULU........

Better to be active and outdoors...then TV feels like a luxury.

Amen my friend... One can quickly get to a couple of hundred dollars in streaming services if you are not careful...

Amen my friend... One can quickly get to a couple of hundred dollars in streaming services if you are not careful...

I find it pretty easy to keep it inexpensive, esp. since I do Amazon Prime anyway. So I do HULU and Netflix and that covers pretty much everything.

Amazon Prime Days and other big sales events usually have 2-3 month free trials or big discounts for other ones, like HBO Max. Or, for example, I got seasons 2 and 3 of Yellowstone for almost nothing. And then you can wait until the movies or series you're interested in are streaming and then just do a free trial of them and binge. I have a list of what I'm looking out for and jump on those others about twice a yr. for free.

You don’t have to worry about that in most of Texas. Few of the electric companies allow net metering.
Some do, but it is still an abomination, and should never have been used as an incentive.
I think it is slowing solar adoption at this point.
What we do not want is for the electric companies to only allow grid assist.

They look pretty comparable but HULU also has original content, I dont know if Sling does. It's still not cheap but HULU's live package also includes ESPN (I dont care) and Disney+ which has a lot of other cable channels, including National Geographic which is awesome.

Hulu sounds really good. too. We're going to make a list of the channels we actually watch vs the channels that we have and try to find one with all of them, and with add on movie channels. And of course the dvr. I'm not in a big rush - first I have to u[grade tje internet, get a Roku or Fire stick for the bedroom tv, and see how that all works. As you can see, I'm clearly not an 'early adapter', lol.

If you are a wee bit tech savvy and know how to rip your DVDs/blurays, look into plex.tv. You basically build your own "netflix" server. And if you know how to "internet" you can build a huge 40+ Terabyte collection of movies and TV shows like i have and share it with "friends" and family ;)

www.Plex.tv
folks over at reddit are a great source. Some even share their collections.

I find it pretty easy to keep it inexpensive, esp. since I do Amazon Prime anyway. So I do HULU and Netflix and that covers pretty much everything.

Amazon Prime Days and other big sales events usually have 2-3 month free trials or big discounts for other ones, like HBO Max. Or, for example, I got seasons 2 and 3 of Yellowstone for almost nothing. And then you can wait until the movies or series you're interested in are streaming and then just do a free trial of them and binge. I have a list of what I'm looking out for and jump on those others about twice a yr. for free.
We are in a similar pattern. Live in a metropolitan area so "over the air" broadcasts are readily available, just had to dance in the attic setting up a good antennae.
We pay $60.00 a month for broadband internet. The subscriptions we have are Amazon Prime, NetFlix and Roku.
We just purchased a new LG Smart TV and it set up beautifully. Spent some time massaging settings and had to change a Roku setting as it was causing a noticeable audio lag.
LG has an app where they provide a lot of content via the net, no cost.

Wow!

$258

First thing I did, accounts wise, when my sweet wife passed away was to cancel our DTV account. That saved me $139 a month. I had plenty to watch with my Amazon Prime account and now I have a Paramount basic that comes with my Wally World home delivery account.

I have never missed anything off DTV other than a few shows off MSNBC, which I can always watch as next day leftovers on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom