• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Musk blocks Public Citizen on Twitter

With the ignore feature on this forum, I can't see what someone I have on ignore posts to me, or to anyone.
Yes, you are limiting your own ability to see a poster. Twitter's ignore limits someone else's ability to see. That's why it seems more restrictive to me.

Does Musk officially own Twitter now? They had an agreement to buy it, yes, but has all that actually happened? Money exchanged hands, contracts signed?
No, that will take up to six months.

Because as soon as censorship behooves him or his ego, he'll take it.
I don't see any evidence of that. In fact, I think being a self-styled champion of free speech seems to be feeding his ego.

I don't see any evidence of that. In fact, I think being a self-styled champion of free speech seems to be feeding his ego.
He has acted against people expressing themselves. He's not really a champion of free speech. He's a champion of himself.

He can do as he likes, it's his once all the paperwork and payments go through. But I don't buy the whole "champion of free speech" angle.

so much for "free speech." Uh huh.

So he blocked an someone from following him on his twitter account. Hardly censorship. If anything he's protecting himself from reading commits on his personal page not blocking them from all of twitter. IF I don't want to read material I find offensive, I don't pick it up, I don't go to the book store and buy the book.

IMO, that cite makes a poor argument. Voluntary confidentiality agreements, seeking damages for libel/slander, and arguing with the press are not restrictions on free speech (or even close). Which example(s) in that article do you think reasonably call into question his commitment to free speech (and why)?

IMO, that cite makes a poor argument. Voluntary confidentiality agreements, seeking damages for libel/slander, and arguing with the press are not restrictions on free speech (or even close). Which example(s) in that article do you think reasonably call into question his commitment to free speech (and why)?
Trying to control the narrative, firing employees for speaking out, trying to edit any article about him.

lol

Yup, poor argument. Musk is for his speech and any speech that congratulates him or champions him.

Of course. Musk is a dude who bounces from thing to thing to thing. First, getting rid of fossil fuels, then sending people to Mars starting with his car, then underground high speed transit, then neural uplinks to human brains, then robots, and now it's Twitter. We can safety say that in four months' time he'll have moved on to something else. This is just another phase.
This is also a guy who makes promises every other week, but only makes good on maybe 10% of them. So of course he's going to tweet about free speech then probably forget about it later. I'm personally waiting for people to start posting falsehoods about Tesla Full Self Driving, to see exactly how far his free speech beliefs extend.
My bet for the next Musk hobby? Hydroponics.
1651250202493.png

Why shouldn't he have that right to ignore what offends him? I don't believe in a platform censoring, suspending, banning certain viewpoints, but I sure as hell believe in the right of everyone to ignore the speech of others.
The rub here will be when that same argument is scaled up to the enterprise level. A social media company is providing an environment, and its ad sales are dependent on that environment being safe for advertisers. Where free speech and ad revenue collide is when that speech creates an environment advertisers don't want to spend money in; that's when companies start developing ToS that "ignore" the speech that makes their platform less desirable. Twitter's business model isn't based on being a free speech platform.

Trying to control the narrative, firing employees for speaking out, trying to edit any article about him.

lol

Yup, poor argument. Musk is for his speech and any speech that congratulates him or champions him.
Those are simply not free speech issues.

No.

Regardless, your analogy if flawed; Musk has 85M followers.
No, it's not flawed. A Twitter block is similar to a DP ignore (and a DP ignore is a perfect match for a Twitter mute). Me saying "I do not want to see or hear what you say" is not me censoring you in any way, shape, or form. Similarly, you do not have the freedom to hear or see what I say if I do not wish you to.

The people blocked by Musk on Twitter are every bit as free to express themselves after Musk's block as they were before. Fact, not opinion.

No, it's not flawed. A Twitter block is similar to a DP ignore (and a DP ignore is a perfect match for a Twitter mute). Me saying "I do not want to see or hear what you say" is not me censoring you in any way, shape, or form. Similarly, you do not have the freedom to hear or see what I say if I do not wish you to.

The people blocked by Musk on Twitter are every bit as free to express themselves after Musk's block as they were before. Fact, not opinion.

Nope.

Musk's block removes them from Musk's feed.

lol

he is only for free speech if it concerns HIM.

Back
Top Bottom