• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More than 100 French towns without drinking water amid 'historic drought'

Water desalination is HUGELY energy demanding and expensive. Only reason Saudi Arabia can do this, is because of oil.

Large scale desalination is not a viable option for most countries at the moment.

Not to mention it is just a band-aid on the over all problem of climate change. This week in Denmark.. 35 degrees one day, and 20 degrees and monsoon like storm with rain the next..
It can be if we put our heads together and find more economical ways to do it. If we can build the Webb telescope we can surely do that.

The technology is already present, but desalination isn't necessarily the magic bullet we think it is. Current desal plants typically take about 5-10 to plan, construct, and move online - sometimes even longer if there are municipal disputes about costs and who has to sacrifice to get them and so forth. And even if we decided to commit to total desalination policy, that would be trading in one problem for another, as they typically have major energy requirements. We'd be paying a lot more for water for everyday use, we'd be harming marine ecosystems that are already vulnerable, and we'd be contributing big time to global warming. None of these are really the kinds of outcomes that would really be worth 5-15 years of waiting for, particularly when we don't likely have 5-15 years to save some of our most precious freshwater reservoirs.
Not sure I buy the negatives if we put our best brain power on it and make it a priority. I can't see pumping so much water it harms marine ecosystems. For God's sake 71 percent of the planet is covered with seas!

I just can't buy desalinization as a long-term fix. It worries me greatly.

Your article advocates using freshwater sources by conserving it's use. I'm all for that but don't see that has a full solution considering the damage we've done to our freshwater sources. I'd like to see conservation AND some desalination if warranted. In case you have't looked the Colorado river and the Rhine are going dry. Aquifers are doing down down down. It's says desalinization is a last resort. Seems to me we are already there in many cases.

The poorest half of the world's populations have been responsible for 7 percent of global C02 emissions during the last decades compared with 15 percent for the richest percent of the world's population.

I don't give one whit about claims of C02. Give those to your professors. I am not talking about C02 emissions. Leftists are.

Well, nature doesn't care whether you agree.
You need to learn the difference between climate and weather, ones geological in nature. Look at some long term graphs, like the last 10 million years. Hell look at the last thousand and you see well before there were suvs and heavy industry, major warming spells so much so Greenland was actually green. Weather changes over time, climates change over geological time. The Sahara desert used to be green and lush as was the Nile in Egypt around Cairo. The major current cycles are 100,000 year ice ages and 10,000 year warming periods which we are on the ass end of one now. Do your homework.

That's why they are suffering, along with us. You and your ilk don't give a whit.
You have zero proof that the drought affecting France is due to CO2 emissions....none!

But the canard that is GW will eventually make the United States the one who has to pay for the entire world to go solar.

Do you really think that China with its billions of people or Russia or Saudi Arabia is going to go green? They are frigging laughing at us making ourselves go into a recession and high inflation because of this green kick.

You need to learn the difference between climate and weather, ones geological in nature. Look at some long term graphs, like the last 10 million years. Hell look at the last thousand and you see well before there were suvs and heavy industry, major warming spells so much so Greenland was actually green. Weather changes over time, climates change over geological time. The Sahara desert used to be green and lush as was the Nile in Egypt around Cairo. The major current cycles are 100,000 year ice ages and 10,000 year warming periods which we are on the ass end of one now. Do your homework.

Looks like maybe you ought to learn the difference between weather and climate before posting on it. The bold is not accurate.

Weather refers to short term atmospheric conditions while climate is the weather of a specific region averaged over a long period of time. Climate change refers to long-term changes.

Weather refers to how the atmospheric conditions will change over the next few days and weeks, and perhaps maybe a few months if we want to build a frame of reference. Climate refers to changes over the course of decades. A weather event or even a series of similar weather events over the course of a year or even 5 or 10 years isn't proof of climate change, but trends over the course of several decades show climate change.

Your canard about what the climate was like during the Cretaceous Period or 10 million years ago before we even existed as a species is irrelevant to the discussion.

Oh my this is hilarious! An anthropogenic climate change denier tries to explain the difference between climate and weather and goes back 10 million years to do so! Oh.My. God!

Oh my this is hilarious! An anthropogenic climate change denier tries to explain the difference between climate and weather and goes back 10 million years to do so! Oh.My. God!
Not my problem your education sucks. I suggest getting a refund. The data is there for everyone to see.

Looks like maybe you ought to learn the difference between weather and climate before posting on it. The bold is not accurate.

Weather refers to how the atmospheric conditions will change over the next few days and weeks, and perhaps maybe a few months if we want to build a frame of reference. Climate refers to changes over the course of decades. A weather event or even a series of similar weather events over the course of a year or even 5 or 10 years isn't proof of climate change, but trends over the course of several decades show climate change.

Your canard about what the climate was like during the Cretaceous Period or 10 million years ago before we even existed as a species is irrelevant to the discussion.
Seriously wherever you got your education you need to get a refund. They screwed you. Climate is a geological timeframe term. Weather is a somewhat more ambiguous term but its essence is near to middle term atmospheric events and patterns of events, from minutes to centuries. Climate measures in years at its finest. I dont know were you learned your science but it is not correct. No wonder you are going nuts. You look at the chart for the last one million years there are 9 or 10 100,000 thousand year glacial periods interspersed with 9 or 10 10,000 year warming periods which we happen to be on the ass end of one of the warming periods. That data has to be accounted for when determining if anthropomorphic activity is a major contributor to the altering of the climate IF it even is being altered. We dont have the data to make that determination. We aint going to know for sure until we start playing with planetary atmospheres altering them and seeing what happens or we collect data for a couple hundred thousand years at minimum.

I don't give one whit about claims of C02. Give those to your professors. I am not talking about C02 emissions. Leftists are.

All the world's leading scientific societies like for example these 31 American acknowledge the urgent need for action.

There are also huge differences when it comes to for example agriculture. That land use for food production per capita is four to five times greater in many developed countries compared with developing countries.

Seriously wherever you got your education you need to get a refund. They screwed you. Climate is a geological timeframe term.

Dude, I just quoted the definition of climate and weather from the US Geological Survey. I know you and your fellow conservatives like to make up your own definitions for things, but sorry, I'm not havin' it. Take your crayons and coloring book color somewhere else.

Weather is a somewhat more ambiguous term but its essence is near to middle term atmospheric events and patterns of events, from minutes to centuries.

Uh, no.

Climate measures in years at its finest.

You're just making shit up now.

I dont know were you learned your science but it is not correct.

I never discussed anything that was scientific other than the definitions I included - from an official source. You instead come back with your own made up definition, and probably, your own made up 'science' as well.

You might find a sucker who's willing to keep engaging with you when you post such nonsense, but we're done here. Let me know when you're ready to discuss climate and weather using actual definitions and actual science and then I'll decide whether or not it's worth my time.

Must be due to the French using too much oil. They need to go all-electric and solar to stop the drought.

Repent Ye Sinners, for the wrath of the Climate God is upon Ye!
Dont forget they need to ban cow farts too.

All the world's leading scientific societies like for example these 31 American acknowledge the urgent need for action.

There are also huge differences when it comes to for example agriculture. That land use for food production per capita is four to five times greater in many developed countries compared with developing countries.

They get left-wing scientists as they did with the farce that is COVID and shut out anyone that disagrees with their premises by calling it disinformation and then you can create a Goebbelsian lie that we are all gonna die in 12 years unless we go green. If I were to post what I did on FaceBook or Twitter or if any other scientist came up with rebuttals, they would be canceled and the left would clamor for them to be fired, as we also saw with COVID.

America is like Communist China today controlling what the populace sees and hears and what it doesn't.

Dont forget they need to ban cow farts too.
Yes, and fertilizer.

Something is going on worldwide with this insane GW canard and I believe it is that they are wanting to reduce the world population because it is becoming unsustainable. You can do that by creating viruses and food famines by essentially shutting down farms by claiming that fertilizer and CO2 emissions from farm machinery must be eliminated using, as you say, the canard that cow farts are a big problem with the atmosphere. But, the biggest reason for this lie that is GW is that the various branches of government can tax the crap out of people and grow bigger because they will have new agencies monitoring what everyone does. In California for instance, since it is uber-liberal now and can be because of a bloated government and Silicon Valley where people can afford electric cars, there are TOO MANY right now and the grid is overtaxed. Not only that, they are losing gas tax revenues. so they are going to implement taxing people per mile by requiring a transponder on their vehicles and the roads will read them and know how many miles you drive and you are billed monthly!

Last edited:
Reactions: PoS
Classic denialist. You do your homework and then go argue with the climate scientists at NASA whom, I suspect, are slightly better informed than you.

SWame
Classic denialist. You do your homework and then go argue with the climate scientists at NASA whom, I suspect, are slightly better informed than you.
The same scientists who continually got COVID wrong?

Climatologists don't deal with viruses. Who got what 'wrong' about a completely unknown virus?
Same GROUP of people who massage figures to suit their left-wing agendas....."scientists" who are no more than accountants giving their assessments.

I was thinking on how difficult it was to come up with brand new technology to build the James Webb Telescope, which was a collaboration of scientists from several different countries, certainly we can come up with economical desalinization methods.

Desalination isn't rocket science, nor does it need to be run by burning fuel (causing more problems than it solves).

Solar and wind power are perfectly capable of running the plants, what is lacking is political will.

Your article advocates using freshwater sources by conserving it's use. I'm all for that but don't see that has a full solution considering the damage we've done to our freshwater sources. I'd like to see conservation AND some desalination if warranted. In case you have't looked the Colorado river and the Rhine are going dry. Aquifers are doing down down down. It's says desalinization is a last resort. Seems to me we are already there in many cases.

We could divert water over from the Mississippi easier than desalination. But we should be doing neither of these things for golf courses, dairy farms and monsoon crops.

Back
Top Bottom