• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More people have died so far this year from COVID-19 than last year: Johns Hopkins data

< insert personal content to spur discussion here...>

aside from overreaching mandates, ever changing guidance and an increasingly sucessfull push to ostracize the unvaccinated, what has the Biden Administration actually accomplished to fight this pandemic that wasn't already begun by the previous administration?

why isn't Joe Biden being personally held acountable for all of these deaths in the same way that Trump was on a daily basis? why are we no longer hearing about "grim milestones" being passed?
People blamed Trump for the pandemic because he didn't handle it well. He had his chance to step up and be the leader that we needed him to be. That's what presidents are supposed to do: lead us through times of national crisis. Instead, Trump did the equivalent of shutting his eyes, and sticking his fingers in his ears. He told us that it was all going to magically go away. That's not what people wanted to hear. They expected actual leadership. If Trump had provided that, Biden would never have been elected.

I'm sure others have posted similar but...

--Biden had to step in front of a moving train...the epidemic wasnt going to stop dead after being out of control for the months preceding.​
--Biden didnt go door to door forcing vaccination on people last spring. Should he have?​
--Biden didnt shut everything down, he tried to find a middle ground to serve public health and the economy. Should he have used the national guard to enforce lockdowns instead?​
Those are the only ways (the last 2) that I can think of to have slowed the death toll from the out of control epidemic he inherited.
out of control? without an actual *cure* there is no control. it is clearly shown to be slowly declining, even with the advent of the variants. cases are down, deaths are down. trump had the unfortunate luck to be in office when a novel virus pandemic began. a virus that no one had ever experienced before. no matter who was there or what was done, there was going to be a high number of deaths.

biden didn't have to step in front of a moving train. he chose to run for office. what has he specifically done to effectively combat the ongoing pandemic that hadn't already been done under the previous administration? masks? lockdowns? vaccines? treatments? you give biden a pass because he came in at the middle of the pandemic, but even by your two examples that you say would have slowed the death toll, neither biden nor trump did those things. so as much as you seem to criticize trump, you admit that there was nothing else that could be done.

by contrast trump had to stand in front of the same moving train. he had no choice but to react to the situation he was presented with. he pushed for rapid development of a vaccine, made sure to pre order enough doses to have everyone vaccinated, he established distribution for the vaccines before they were developed. everything that could be done was being done. but some other things that were done were heavilly opposed and criticized by the democrats. trump tried to end travel from china. democrats opposed and vilified him for it. he supported the use off label of existing medications that had at least some evidence that they helped mitigate the severity of the cases. the democrat leadership spoke publicly that they wouldn't take a vaccine if trump had anything to do with it. yet he did all he could to get those vaccines out. now the democrats push and push and push for everyone to be vaccinated. in the very beginning when there was just the suggestion that people shouldn't be out in crowds, we had video of democrat leadership telling people it was ok and that they could come out to this event or that event. they contradicted trump at every turn yet now they do all the same things as though they are visionary saints that are saving the world.

the only reason I criticise him at all is that for all his supporters patting him on the back for the great job he has done, biden has only continued what was already being done. and still the opposing political party accused trump of not doing enough. so that prompts me to ask what has biden actually done?

out of control? without an actual *cure* there is no control.

Sooooooo wrong. What do you think the masking, social distancing, cancelling events, handwashing, etc etc etc were/are for? To reduce spread. To help control it. And The Donald denied and/or minimized doing all those things. Biden has been proactive on all of them.

Wow. That was so myopic and wrong, I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of it. It doesnt look like you answered my questions. Please do that, with direct answers, esp. the final 2 questions. Your answer to the first one is a joke but you seemed not to understand what did take place to 'manage' the epidemic, under both administrations.

--Biden didnt go door to door forcing vaccination on people last spring. Should he have?​
--Biden didnt shut everything down, he tried to find a middle ground to serve public health and the economy. Should he have used the national guard to enforce lockdowns instead?​

it is clearly shown to be slowly declining, even with the advent of the variants. cases are down, deaths are down. trump had the unfortunate luck to be in office when a novel virus pandemic began. a virus that no one had ever experienced before. no matter who was there or what was done, there was going to be a high number of deaths.

biden didn't have to step in front of a moving train. he chose to run for office. what has he specifically done to effectively combat the ongoing pandemic that hadn't already been done under the previous administration? masks? lockdowns? vaccines? treatments? you give biden a pass because he came in at the middle of the pandemic, but even by your two examples that you say would have slowed the death toll, neither biden nor trump did those things. so as much as you seem to criticize trump, you admit that there was nothing else that could be done.

by contrast trump had to stand in front of the same moving train. he had no choice but to react to the situation he was presented with. he pushed for rapid development of a vaccine, made sure to pre order enough doses to have everyone vaccinated, he established distribution for the vaccines before they were developed. everything that could be done was being done. but some other things that were done were heavilly opposed and criticized by the democrats. trump tried to end travel from china. democrats opposed and vilified him for it. he supported the use off label of existing medications that had at least some evidence that they helped mitigate the severity of the cases. the democrat leadership spoke publicly that they wouldn't take a vaccine if trump had anything to do with it. yet he did all he could to get those vaccines out. now the democrats push and push and push for everyone to be vaccinated. in the very beginning when there was just the suggestion that people shouldn't be out in crowds, we had video of democrat leadership telling people it was ok and that they could come out to this event or that event. they contradicted trump at every turn yet now they do all the same things as though they are visionary saints that are saving the world.
TL;dr
the only reason I criticise him at all is that for all his supporters patting him on the back for the great job he has done, biden has only continued what was already being done. and still the opposing political party accused trump of not doing enough. so that prompts me to ask what has biden actually done?
See above. Sooooooooooo wrong. If the previous administration had been more proactive against the epidemic, Biden wouldnt have had such an out of control situation to deal with.

< insert personal content to spur discussion here...>

aside from overreaching mandates, ever changing guidance and an increasingly sucessfull push to ostracize the unvaccinated, what has the Biden Administration actually accomplished to fight this pandemic that wasn't already begun by the previous administration?

why isn't Joe Biden being personally held acountable for all of these deaths in the same way that Trump was on a daily basis? why are we no longer hearing about "grim milestones" being passed?
"why isn't Joe Biden being personally held acountable "(sic)?
Because Biden has a 'D' after his name.

Joe Biden's current approval rating is 38%. He is being held responsible ...
By those responding in the polls, yes, the electorate.

By the 'news' (political propaganda) media who falsely claim to live up to the previous standards of 'Speak Truth to Power' and 'Hold the Nation's leaders accountable'.
Actually they do that, but only for those who don't have a 'D' after their name, that is if you don't include their political weaponization attacks.

Biden's biggest mistake in his delivery to we, the people, was to say to Americans, "you're not as smart as I thought you were."
He proved he has NO interest in uniting the country.
Biden, and his handlers pulling the strings from the shadows, never intended to 'unity the country'.
That was little more than lip service rendered at the appropriate time to get elected, and never meant anything more than that.

Hell, Biden is running right past the divisiveness of every other president by a wide margin, there's no inclination to 'unity' here, ever.

It seems even his handlers have given up on the pretense the Biden is capable of handling even prescreened questions from the press. He's reduced to reading off the teleprompter for a few minutes then simply walks away.

Ol' Joe's dementia is getting worse.

1) What "tanj" conveniently failed to mention that Trump was dealing with the original China COVID-19 - that's been superseded by the much more infectious and deadly Delta Variant from India!

2) China, South Africa, Brazil, Britain, India - there have been 5 major variants over the last 22 months and its just a matter of time before an even more virulent mutation comes over the horizon!

3) Given that all the current vaccines were developed in response to the original variant, the more the anti-vaxxers resist, the greater the probability of a new variant that render these vaccines ineffective!

4) As for "ostracizing the unvaccinated," recently 500,000 children tested positive over a 2 week period - those with children in general and under 12 in particular don't take kindly to having their lives unnecessarily jeopardized by the "unvaccinated!

5) Should the situation arise that the vaccinated majority is no longer protected because of a new variant - the "unvaccinated" had better pray that day never arrives!
1) so the question remains: what has Biden done to combat the more infectious and deadly delta variant?

3) so what new vaccine has biden initiated a national drive to develop? we heard about the efforts that trump put into getting the first vaccines out, why do we not hear the same level of effort being made by biden? how many doses has biden secured ahead of development? what new treatments has he pressed into development?
what has he done except for push vaccination and masks? considering the fact of declining antibody lifespan, breakthrough cases and breakthrough deaths, the idea that a vaccine is the answer and solution to the entire pandemic is clearly faulty.

4) I have been considered an essential worker the entire time and have been out and working continuously through out this pandemic. I have only worn a mask on a few occasions when I was required to by a jobsite that I needed to visit. I have had several co workers become infected. so far all have returned to work. one who was in his 70s is still out and may well retire rather than return. I have yet to test positive. I have had multiple family members, including my daughter that lives at home, test positive and recover without incident. we never wore masks at home even then and she wasn't isolated or kept separate. the case fatality rate of this virus in the US is currently 1.625% and falling. it continues to be and has been below that of the combined EU from the beginning. the focus should never have been on number of cases, but on how many infected died. the vaccines that we have show us that they are not the ultimate solution to this virus. their effectiveness is declining, the lifespan of the antibodies is declining.

a 1.625% case fatality rate is not "unnecessarily jeopardizing" anyone.

5) those that choose to not vaccinate are not guaranteed to die, nor are they guaranteed to infect others. those that haven't vaccinated didn't catch this virus so far and the ones that did and recovered shouldn't have to worry too much. you and many others are presenting this as though an infection is a death sentence for both the infected and anyone they came within 6 feet of.

the people that are unable to be vaccinated were already forced to live their lives differently and more cautiously before this virus. that will not change.
this novel virus has had a field day taking out those most at risk. as we continue and as the virus slowly winds down, those rates of death are declining.

points 4 and 5 you offer are only hyperbolic over-reaction and fear mongering. the use of exclamation points on all 5 points is a strong indicator of that.

Sooooooo wrong. What do you think the masking, social distancing, cancelling events, handwashing, etc etc etc were/are for? To reduce spread. To help control it. And The Donald denied and/or minimized doing all those things. Biden has been proactive on all of them.

those actions helped mitigate, decrease or reduce, but did not control anything.

Wow. That was so myopic and wrong, I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of it.

then you probably shouldn't comment on it.
It doesnt look like you answered my questions. Please do that, with direct answers,

meaning answers that you agree with.
esp. the final 2 questions. Your answer to the first one is a joke but you seemed not to understand what did take place to 'manage'

there it is. manage. not control.
the epidemic, under both administrations.

I didn't see those as questions. the answer to the first is no. he did not and should not. and yet we are always on the brink of vaccine madates under biden.
the answer to the second is no he didn't and he shouldn't. the shut downs were up to the states and happened anyway despite any objection. by opposing drastic measures trump was also serving both public health and the economy.

again, neither trump nor biden did either of those things. ( forced vaccination and national guard enforcement )

if trump should have done them, why has biden not done them?
which brings us back to the original premise: in regards to the pandemic what has biden actually done that hadn't already been in practice when he stepped into office?
sounds like we are getting closer and closer to an attempt at forced vaccination... and who would enforce that? surely not OSHA.

I think that it is being missed that so far I do not find particular fault with either biden or trump over the handling of the pandemic. I find fault with the drastically different standards they are being held to.

"why isn't Joe Biden being personally held acountable "(sic)?
Because Biden has a 'D' after his name.
well...
i wasn't going to go there, but...

Biden, and his handlers pulling the strings from the shadows, never intended to 'unity the country'.
That was little more than lip service rendered at the appropriate time to get elected, and never meant anything more than that.

Hell, Biden is running right past the divisiveness of every other president by a wide margin, there's no inclination to 'unity' here, ever.
Nobody wants to unite with the deplorables.

those actions helped mitigate, decrease or reduce, but did not control anything.

You are assuming it could have been controlled. When? What month should that have occurred?

And please find me a definition of how to consider an epidemic "controlled." Source that, with a medical focus.

meaning answers that you agree with.

Any day you'd like to directly refute my arguments, feel free. That's why we're here, right?

there it is. manage. not control.

See above.

I didn't see those as questions. the answer to the first is no. he did not and should not. and yet we are always on the brink of vaccine madates under biden.

OK so he shouldnt FORCE people physically door to door to get vaxxed. And he has put mandates in place or encouraged them...and you are complaining about that. OK...what SHOULD he have done? That was my question.

the answer to the second is no he didn't and he shouldn't. the shut downs were up to the states and happened anyway despite any objection. by opposing drastic measures trump was also serving both public health and the economy.
Same as above...what should he have done?

again, neither trump nor biden did either of those things. ( forced vaccination and national guard enforcement )

if trump should have done them, why has biden not done them?

I never said that they should force people door to door to vax them. I thought most Americans would be smart enough and adult enough to do so and when he came in in Jan...Biden probably couldnt have imagined so many wouldnt.

There was a vaccine available...and ***people wouldnt take it!*** :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I'm sure he expected better of the conservatives especially, since The Donald helped grease the wheels to get it done faster...heh, that was a mistake obviously.

But hey...as I asked above...what should he have done? You said no to forced door to door and no to mandates.

which brings us back to the original premise: in regards to the pandemic what has biden actually done that hadn't already been in practice when he stepped into office?
sounds like we are getting closer and closer to an attempt at forced vaccination... and who would enforce that? surely not OSHA.
Answered above, unless you have the answers. What should Biden have done? He at least wholeheartedly recommended masks, social distancing, and all those other measures too. The Donald barely did.

I think that it is being missed that so far I do not find particular fault with either biden or trump over the handling of the pandemic. I find fault with the drastically different standards they are being held to.
Not at all. Again, if The Donald had worked harder to encourage people to wear masks, social distance, hold out longer on lockdowns, etc etc...then the epidemic would not have gotten as bad as it did. Biden inherited a runaway train...let's see your suggestions for how he should have done better?

why not hold biden to the same standard that trump was held to? you are right. the standard for biden is different. But, what has biden done? what new and improved vaccine or treatment has he been instrumental in getting developed? what has he done other than beat the "get vaccinated and wear a mask" drum? under trump, there was a repeated attempt to say that he didn't do anything, or didn't do "enough". but honesstly, what has biden done on his watch? could the slow decline overall of the virus be in any way an indicator that it is simply going to eventually run its course and leave us with nothing more than seasonal cases in perpetuity?

at the beginning of this pandemic, I researched what things had been done to prepare. while doing this I found an exercise from 2017 i believe that had as its main take away that the "magic bullet" for such a virus was the rapid development of a vaccine. that is something that trump did manage to support and push for, as well as peparing the for the distribution of such a vaccine.
Over 500000 died under trump.
Trump also advocated snake and injecting disinfectant.

So let's cut to the chase. He was a bumbling fool who focused entirely on winning the election. The people showed him who was the smartest.
Stop defending the idiot. He was a disgrace to the country

Back
Top Bottom