• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mississippi ‘Goon Squad’ deputies get yearslong sentences for racist torture of 2 Black men

"A" is 5'10" tall and is standing in water that is ¼ inch deep.

"B" is 5'10" tall and is standing in water that is 69 inches deep.

It is quite correct to say (as you would have it) that both "A" and "B" are "standing in water".
Uhm. Ok.

Officers of the law committed heinous racist crimes. This was not a single bad apple, it was a squad. Leadership clearly knew about it. Racist incidents were happening for years, and frequent complaints were ignored. We're only hearing about it because they finally crossed the line.

This literally IS systemic racism. You people are staring it in the face and then desperately proclaiming it doesn't exist. And the thing is, racism incidents by our public institutions are happening all the time, and all over the country. Maybe not this heinous, but still blatant and wrong. You will see stories all over the place if you pay attention. Clearly, you'd rather NOT pay attention.

You seem very very confused.
Please quote me stating any of what you just claimed. Or even hinting at that.
I will wait patiently.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You be funny!
You know you could just prove me wrong and quote any one saying what claim they are saying.

Tell me what do you think it shows that you can’t do so.

But please keep embarrassing yourself. At least I am getting some amusement out of that.

Is Nikki Haley good enough for you? You could take the time to look it up for yourself.

There's a substantial and meaningful difference between denying the US is a "racist country" and claiming that there is no racism in the US. The poster was asking who made the latter statement.

We can debate whether or not Haley is right, i.e. whether or not the US is a "racist country". But the propositions "there is no racism" and "the US is not a racist country" are simply not the same. They have clearly distinct meanings and different kinds of evidence would be required to back them up.

Last edited:
tl/dr I wasn’t asking and have no idea what your point is. And I have zero desire to go down any rabbit holes. It’s your specialty, not mine.
That you didn't want to answer two questions to which the answers are obvious does say a whole lot about whether or not you want to admit that there is a problem.

However, I will give you the answers

Dieter van der Vasser's great great grandparents all immigrated to South Africa from Holland. His great grandparents were all born in South Africa and lived there all their lives. His Grandparents were all born in Sough Africa and lived there all their lives. His parents were born in South Africa and lived there all their lives. He was born in South Africa and lived there until he was 25. At 25 he immigrated to the United States of America. At 30 he became an American citizen. At 40 he was arrested. The newspaper reports of his arrest referred to him as​
_X_ no reference to race was made (most likely)​
_X_ White (vaguely possible)​
___ Black​
___ African-American​
George Washington Lincoln's great great grandparents were all imported to the United States of America (as slaves) from Nigeria. His great grandparents were all born in the United States of America and live there all their lives. His grandparents were all born in the United States of America and lived there all their lives. His parents were all born in the United States of America and lived there all their lives. He became an American citizen at birth. At 40 he was arrested. The newspaper reports of his arrest referred to him as​
___ no reference to race was made​
___ White​
_X_ Black (highly unlikely outside of the radical right, but vaguely possible)​
_X_ African-American (most likely)​

Now why do you suppose that is?

You seem very very confused.
Please quote me stating any of what you just claimed. Or even hinting at that.
I will wait patiently.
Stop playing dumb. When people say this is a racist country, they are talking about racism being built into the rules, institutions, and people in authority. As exhibited by the Rankin County police, among many others. You know this, I know this, Nikki Haley knows it, and everyone reading this thread knows it.

I quoted you in my previous post, and that remains relevant. Feel free to read it again. Prominent cons deny that we are a racist country, and you defend them repeatedly. I say that qualifies as more than a "hint" of denial of systemic racism.

Funny I have never seen a republican say that. Can you quote them.
Or is this just more of your usual made up bs.
How about the majority on SCOTUS when they eviscerated the Voting Rights Act? That law was created specifically to address institutional racism in the South. SCOTUS was essentially saying the racism that law addressed was no longer a problem, therefore the law is no longer necessary.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. delivered the opinion of the 5-4 majority. The Court held that Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act imposes current burdens that are no longer responsive to the current conditions in the voting districts in question. Although the constraints this section places on specific states made sense in the 1960s and 1970s, they do not any longer and now represent an unconstitutional violation of the power to regulate elections that the Constitution reserves for the states. The Court also held that the formula for determining whether changes to a state's voting procedure should be federally reviewed is now outdated and does not reflect the changes that have occurred in the last 50 years in narrowing the voting turnout gap in the states in question.

In his concurring opinion, Justice Clarence Thomas argued that Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act is unconstitutional in addition to Section 4. He wrote that the blatant discrimination against certain voters that Section 5 was intended to prohibit is no longer evident.

There are issues we have with education and training, along with institutionalized racism. We cannot defund the police to address this, it's unfortunately likely to cost more money so that we can start making changes, start requiring more education and training of our police force, have appropriate oversight and regulation.

It's good that these cops were arrested and now will spend a significant amount of time in prison, I doubt this was the first time they did something like this, and I doubt that this sort of thing (though hopefully not quite as extreme) is isolated. In general, it's not easy to be a cop and we need a properly trained and educated police force.
Furthermore, we need to enact laws that address what other cops knew, even if they did not participate in a given violation. If it can shown that a cop was aware his fellow officers were committing crimes and did not come forward, he needs to be punished in some way. As it is, the thin blue line is an institutional reality that protects criminal cops all across the country.

We need laws that encourage more Serpicos in our world.

Stop playing dumb. When people say this is a racist country, they are talking about racism being built into the rules, institutions, and people in authority. As exhibited by the Rankin County police, among many others. You know this, I know this, Nikki Haley knows it, and everyone reading this thread knows it.

I quoted you in my previous post, and that remains relevant. Feel free to read it again. Prominent cons deny that we are a racist country, and you defend them repeatedly. I say that qualifies as more than a "hint" of denial of systemic racism.
Your opinions on what systemic racism exists in this country doesn’t change the fact that claiming this isn’t a racist country does not mean that there are no racist people in this country.

I know that of a complicate idea but I have faith you can get it.

But please quote me defending them. You make the claim it’s time to back it up.
And just fyi stating two separate things are not the same is not the same as defending them no matter how much you want it to be.

How about the majority on SCOTUS when they eviscerated the Voting Rights Act? That law was created specifically to address institutional racism in the South. SCOTUS was essentially saying the racism that law addressed was no longer a problem, therefore the law is no longer necessary.
Again I don’t know why so many on the left struggle with this concept but to completely different things doing mean the same thing.
Try hard and I bet you can get this concept.

Tell me when Biden made the claim that the US was not a racist country and that he didn’t think American people were racist was that him saying there are no racists in America.

Again I don’t know why so many on the left struggle with this concept but to completely different things doing mean the same thing.
Try hard and I bet you can get this concept.

Tell me when Biden made the claim that the US was not a racist country and that he didn’t think American people were racist was that him saying there are no racists in America.

Racists are everywhere. The real problem is when the institutions which are the foundation of our nation have racism built into them and empower racists. Jim Crow laws had a specific purpose. Poll taxes had a purpose. Segregation had a purpose. Race-based gerrymandering has a purpose. And we have been working hard over the past 100 years to overcome those purposes. We still have work to do.

We, as a nation, still aspire to the ideals laid out in the Declaration of Independence and the preamble of the Constitution. We're not there . . . yet.

Racists are everywhere. The real problem is when the institutions which are the foundation of our nation have racism built into them and empower racists. Jim Crow laws had a specific purpose. Poll taxes had a purpose. Segregation had a purpose. Race-based gerrymandering has a purpose. And we have been working hard over the past 100 years to overcome those purposes. We still have work to do.

We, as a nation, still aspire to the ideals laid out in the Declaration of Independence and the preamble of the Constitution. We're not there . . . yet.
Which has nothing to do with what I said. But cool story anyway.

That you didn't want to answer two questions to which the answers are obvious does say a whole lot about whether or not you want to admit that there is a problem.

However, I will give you the answers

Dieter van der Vasser's great great grandparents all immigrated to South Africa from Holland. His great grandparents were all born in South Africa and lived there all their lives. His Grandparents were all born in Sough Africa and lived there all their lives. His parents were born in South Africa and lived there all their lives. He was born in South Africa and lived there until he was 25. At 25 he immigrated to the United States of America. At 30 he became an American citizen. At 40 he was arrested. The newspaper reports of his arrest referred to him as​
_X_ no reference to race was made (most likely)​
_X_ White (vaguely possible)​
___ Black​
___ African-American​
George Washington Lincoln's great great grandparents were all imported to the United States of America (as slaves) from Nigeria. His great grandparents were all born in the United States of America and live there all their lives. His grandparents were all born in the United States of America and lived there all their lives. His parents were all born in the United States of America and lived there all their lives. He became an American citizen at birth. At 40 he was arrested. The newspaper reports of his arrest referred to him as​
___ no reference to race was made​
___ White​
_X_ Black (highly unlikely outside of the radical right, but vaguely possible)​
_X_ African-American (most likely)​

Now why do you suppose that is?
You do like to see yourself write (better known as 'hear yourself speak'), don't you? I'm not impressed.

Past, not present. Unless you mean they are still being built into the rules, etc? There are many laws against that.

Past, not present. Unless you mean they are still being built into the rules, etc? There are many laws against that.
Present. Sure, these days the rules aren't directly racist. But they certainly can help to perpetuate the power of racist institutions and racist people in authority. And even when the negative effects of the rules are obvious, any attempt to change them is fought tooth and nail by the racists benefiting.

A topical example is the frequent lack of accountability for cops, which allowed this goon squad to operate for years, and shielded them from many complaints. They abused the community, and the community could not do anything to stop them until they crossed a line. The rules that allowed this situation to exist in the first place will probably not change. The sheriff may get kicked out, and the community will just have to hope the next guy has integrity.

Your opinions on what systemic racism exists in this country doesn’t change the fact that claiming this isn’t a racist country does not mean that there are no racist people in this country.

And just fyi stating two separate things are not the same is not the same as defending them no matter how much you want it to be.
You know, you could win this argument very easily with a simple statement: "I acknowledge that there is a serious problem with systemic racism in this country". Write that, and I will admit I misjudged you. The silence is deafening in every one of your posts without it.

You know, you could win this argument very easily with a simple statement: "I acknowledge that there is a serious problem with systemic racism in this country". Write that, and I will admit I misjudged you. The silence is deafening in every one of your posts without it.
First of all that you think I care how you judge me when you can’t even understand the difference between two completely different statements is hilarious. The opinion of people who can’t even manage to do that is meaningless.
The least you could do is at least try and follow along with the conversation.
Multiple people claimed that numerous conservatives including posters on this sight claim there are no racist people in America. When asked to back up that claim the best response was will a conservative said America is not a racist country. That you and several other left wing people can’t comprehend that those two things are not the same is a you not a me problem.

And of course I haven’t said anything about systemic racism because it hasn’t been the topic of any of my posts or the people I responded to. But can I now judge you every time you don’t talk about systemic racism no matter the topic of the thread. Good lord. Get a clue.

But tell me was Biden claiming that there was no racist people in America when he said we were not a racist country. Does that make him a racist.
Why are conservatives racist for saying that but he isn’t.

Last edited:

You simply don't get it, do you?

The "(American) Conservative" line is (essentially) that "Since not 100% of the people of the United States of America are racist, that means that there is absolutely no racism in the United States of America (except for that against White people, of course).".

You do like to see yourself write (better known as 'hear yourself speak'), don't you? I'm not impressed.
You also don't like to answer the hard questions that you actually have to admit exist before you can actually begin to address the problems.

First of all that you think I care how you judge me when you can’t even understand the difference between two completely different statements is hilarious. The opinion of people who can’t even manage to do that is meaningless.
The least you could do is at least try and follow along with the conversation.
Multiple people claimed that numerous conservatives including posters on this sight claim there are no racist people in America. When asked to back up that claim the best response was will a conservative said America is not a racist country. That you and several other left wing people can’t comprehend that those two things are not the same is a you not a me problem.
To recap, the conversation started with this exchange:
Hoax, fake news, everyone knows there is no racism in america, ask any republican.
Funny I have never seen a republican say that. Can you quote them.
Or is this just more of your usual made up bs.
...followed by quotes from prominent Republicans claiming Rosa Parks "ended racism" and america is not a racist country. In case it isn't obvious, "there is no racism in America" is not the same as "there are no racist people in America". In fact, the original statement is a lot closer to "America is not a racist country" than it is to your "interpretation". You built a semantic strawman and have been arrogantly wacking at it for a few pages now. You seem a little offended that I have been ignoring your strawman. Tough shit.

That said is there some systemic racism in this country. Yes there is. Just like every single other country in the world. Because humans often tend to have racial bias. It’s just the way it is. Doesn’t mean we don’t need to work on it to make things better.
Good, I admit I misjudged you and shouldn't have lumped you in with the likes of @SuperDS77.

And of course I haven’t said anything about systemic racism because it hasn’t been the topic of any of my posts or the people I responded to. But can I now judge you every time you don’t talk about systemic racism no matter the topic of the thread. Good lord. Get a clue.
It was the topic of the conversation. The people you responded to made tongue-in-cheek comments referring to the frequent Republican denial of systemic racism. I'm pretty sure you knew that, but maybe you just misunderstood the context.

But tell me was Biden claiming that there was no racist people in America when he said we were not a racist country. Does that make him a racist.
Why are conservatives racist for saying that but he isn’t.
I don't know, it might make him a politician trying to deny the issues of systemic racism that he has failed to fix. Whether or not the politicians are racists depends more on how hard they tried to fix it. Or if they're actively making it worse.

When was the last time that you saw a person of mixed Dutch/British descent who was born in South Africa but who is now an American citizen referred to as an "African-American" in the media?

You simply don't get it, do you?

The "(American) Conservative" line is (essentially) that "Since not 100% of the people of the United States of America are racist, that means that there is absolutely no racism in the United States of America (except for that against White people, of course).".
No that’s just the position that many liberals created in their head to attack there people they see as their enemy with. Not really based on reality. But since when does that matter.

Then every country is racist, because every country is sure to have some racists living there.

Saying racism doesn't exist here, is not the same as saying the US is not a racist country. We have an awful lot of different races living here, to be called a racist 'country'

A lot of countries have problems with racism.

The thing is conservatives keep on saying it's only a few bad apples in police departments who act like this, but how goon squads exist in police departments?

The phrase is "a few bad apples spoil the bunch", so what are conservatives proposing to get rid of these bad apples?

Back
Top Bottom