• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Michael Moore - liberator or slanderer

Is Michael Moore a Hero or a Hypocrite?

• Noble Hero

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • Malicious Traitor

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Greedy Self-Serving Hypocrite

Votes: 55 53.9%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Kelzie:
Yeah, not ringing any bells. Seen the Emperor's New Groove? Best movie disney ever made.

"Well that makes you ugly AND stupid."
I don't watch kid flicks. If I am, its because I'm just trying to get laid by a single-mom. You know, tell her what she wants to hear just to get on her good side. That strategy doesn't work as well as I would like it too. And besides, the last time I was at Disney I was on acid. Me and my buddie took a hit of purple-microdot and went and partied in the church of America. Unfortunately, my rebel days went out with disco. Last time I did drugs, Gerald Ford was President.

You never saw Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield and Robert Downey Jr. Its a classic. How about Baseketball (the greatest movie ever made).

Billo_Really said:
I don't watch kid flicks. If I am, its because I'm just trying to get laid by a single-mom. You know, tell her what she wants to hear just to get on her good side. That strategy doesn't work as well as I would like it too. And besides, the last time I was at Disney I was on acid. Me and my buddie took a hit of purple-microdot and went and partied in the church of America. Unfortunately, my rebel days went out with disco. Last time I did drugs, Gerald Ford was President.

You never saw Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield and Robert Downey Jr. Its a classic. How about Baseketball (the greatest movie ever made).

The Emperor's New Groove is not a kid's flick. That's all I have to say to you. :lol:

the last time I was at Disney I was on acid. Me and my buddie took a hit of purple-microdot and went and partied in the church of America. Unfortunately, my rebel days went out with disco.

Ahhh well this explains alot. Now I understand

Billo_Really said:
I don't watch kid flicks. If I am, its because I'm just trying to get laid by a single-mom. You know, tell her what she wants to hear just to get on her good side. That strategy doesn't work as well as I would like it too.

Sitting around watching cartoons with a single mom while kissing her ass doesn't work as well as you'd like it to? Huh, can't imagine why that wouldn't work.....hmmm....couldn't be because that's the same tactic our kids use on us, do ya think? Try this, GET US OUT OF THE HOUSE!! Please.

Ehem, of course I'm not talking about myself. Just a hypothetical situation. I wouldn't know anything about it personally.

And, uh, Emperor's New Groove is good. You ought to check it out. Way better than Back to School. Don't try that one with the chicks, either. Chicks don't like Rodney Dangerfield. Or Rodney Dangerfield impressions.

"How about Baseketball (the greatest movie ever made)."

^
LOL
Your kidding right?

mixmedia,

Thanks for the tip.

SixStringHero,

No I'm not.

In regards to someone saying Rush Limbaugh was as bad as Michael Moore, Fantasea wrote:

Certainly you are entitled to vent your spleen as you have done. You are also entitled to voice your opinion, empty as it is.

Perhaps you might wish to submit some examples of the misinformation you allege.

Um.. you're kidding, right? The only way one could see Michael Moore as the propogandist he is and not see Rush Limbaugh (or for that matter Al Frankin and the rest like these three) for what they are is if they were wearing "team goggles."

"Team goggles" is the term I use for people who really don't know a damned thing about politics or have a reasonable point of view on anything, but rather just root for their "team" and only see what they want in either side.

That type of behavior is more fitting of a football game than of politics. The difference is that in politics the beer is not needed, while a functional mind is.

Alastor said:
That type of behavior is more fitting of a football game than of politics. The difference is that in politics the beer is not needed, while a functional mind is.

"Mad Eye" (I hope you understand the reference), you are absolutely right. Too many people look at their side as a matter of "my side, right or wrong" with no ability at all to criticize anyone on their "team." Both Republicans and Democrats are guilty of this. While I prefer Republicans to Democrats generally, there are plenty of faults with Republicans - such as colluding with democrats to make the federal government FAR LARGER than the Constitution allows!

I think it's perfectly reasonable to compare Moore and Limbaugh...the difference being, I've seen Michael Moore on 'talk shows' etc...defending his positions...even Bill O'Reilly. I've never seen Limbaugh in any kind of forum where he has to defend his positions...why? He'd be eaten alive by someone with a smattering of knowledge...without Limbaughs screened phone calls and his tele-prompter spoon feeding him, he'd be lost and proven to be the blowhard we all know he is.

Actually...there is no comparison...other then they both use propaganda to support their positions.

I just wanted to say that Fahrenheit 9/11 has a five star rating at Netflix.com and that FahrenHYPE 9/11 didn't hold a candle to it.

ban.the.electoral.college said:
I just wanted to say that Fahrenheit 9/11 has a five star rating at Netflix.com and that FahrenHYPE 9/11 didn't hold a candle to it.

Well that's easy to explain, everyone who works at or owns Netflix has a liberal bias.

That was a joke right? It's hard to tell inflection on the internet sometimes.

Even if F HYPE 9/11 is not as highly rated that has nothing to do with very issue that it addresses all the lies in Moore's documentary.

Pacridge said:
Well that's easy to explain, everyone who works at or owns Netflix has a liberal bias.

Haha, that's definitely a joke. A misinformed joke at that, because it's the viewers who control the ratings.

FahrenHYPE, was a bogus bunch of BS, because when you get Ann Coulter to speak out, you're not accomplishing anything more than a diatribe.

Make no mistake, FarhenHYPE had an agenda, but so far nothing really disproves the assertions the film makes when it discredits many of Moore's points.

I would almost be moronic if they tried to pass off the same techniques as facts that Moore used when they are so easily refuted in the first place. From what I can tell the film is rock solid in exposing much of the claims Moore made as being simply fallacious.

Michael Moore is one big fat anti-capitalist anti-military marxist joke. For all his so called vast intelligence, he obviously knows nothing about nutrition or proper eating habits. By the look of him, he hasn't exercised in over 20 years.

George_Washington said:
Michael Moore is one big fat anti-capitalist anti-military marxist joke. For all his so called vast intelligence, he obviously knows nothing about nutrition or proper eating habits. By the look of him, he hasn't exercised in over 20 years.

It makes me laugh everytime people attack MM for his appearance. It just goes to show you that anyone resorting to such elementary observations has no idea about what Moore represents.

Now, I don't know if he's a Marxist, but I can tell you, you are wrong about MM's approach to the troops. He is a troop supporter:

http://www.fahrenheit911.com/soldiers/

thats because people like to be entertained and fiction is more entertaining than fact, and their was more truth than fiction in fahrenhype, and michels more's film was definitely fiction.

skabanger13 said:
thats because people like to be entertained and fiction is more entertaining than fact, and their was more truth than fiction in fahrenhype, and michels more's film was definitely fiction.

FYI, documentaries do not classify for fiction. Like it or not, both the footage and the people were real.

FYI, documentaries do not classify for fiction. Like it or not, both the footage and the people were real.

True, the footage and the people were real. What was being said by most of the people was taken entirely out of context. Farenhype 911 had many of the people that Moore featured. For the most part, the footage that Moore used was filmed by someone else, and what they were saying was entirely different from what Moore was making it seem like they were saying. Several of them were very upset with Moore's portrayal of them.

By any objective standard, Farenheit 911 should not be classified as a documentary.

MrFungus420 said:
True, the footage and the people were real. What was being said by most of the people was taken entirely out of context. Farenhype 911 had many of the people that Moore featured. For the most part, the footage that Moore used was filmed by someone else, and what they were saying was entirely different from what Moore was making it seem like they were saying. Several of them were very upset with Moore's portrayal of them.

By any objective standard, Farenheit 911 should not be classified as a documentary.

I didn't think FahrenHYPE 911 was a very good rebuttal at all. Although you are correct about the two guys who were upset about their footage being used. Oh well, that's their problem. It's too late to take it back now. And I think it's funny how people make it seem like the whole film was rigged. All documentaries are propaganda to some degree, thats the whole point. I don't have any compliants about the documentary.

I didn't think FahrenHYPE 911 was a very good rebuttal at all. Although you are correct about the two guys who were upset about their footage being used. Oh well, that's their problem. It's too late to take it back now. And I think it's funny how people make it seem like the whole film was rigged. All documentaries are propaganda to some degree, thats the whole point. I don't have any compliants about the documentary.

Propaganda is propaganda, but if you can't make a credible argument with empirical evidence then the thrust of any thesis of cogent argument is void.

To remain as objective as I could I watched F 911 and F HYPE 911 in the same week. I did some INTERNET surfing just to find some conclusive points to counter anything that D HYPE asserted was false or misleading in F 9/11. There's not much out there that can prove false what F HYPE debunked in Moore's "documentary."

Here's another site that analyzes F 911 point by point. You may not like the bias or the message, but we can't let that get in the way of the facts.

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fiftysix-Deceits-in-Fahrenheit-911.htm

Enjoy.

SixStringHero said:
Propaganda is propaganda, but if you can't make a credible argument with empirical evidence then the thrust of any thesis of cogent argument is void.

To remain as objective as I could I watched F 911 and F HYPE 911 in the same week. I did some INTERNET surfing just to find some conclusive points to counter anything that D HYPE asserted was false or misleading in F 9/11. There's not much out there that can prove false what F HYPE debunked in Moore's "documentary."

Here's another site that analyzes F 911 point by point. You may not like the bias or the message, but we can't let that get in the way of the facts.

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fiftysix-Deceits-in-Fahrenheit-911.htm

Enjoy.

Thanks, yeah, I've seen this site before. And the rebuttals do not concern me since I have nothing at stake here. Like I said before, I enjoyed the documentary. If the right wants to go crazy picking the film apart, then It must have really struck close to home. Good. I think Kopel is primarily preaching to the quire with his 59 points. He's not going to make any difference to the left.

Thanks, yeah, I've seen this site before. And the rebuttals do not concern me since I have nothing at stake here. Like I said before, I enjoyed the documentary. If the right wants to go crazy picking the film apart, then It must have really struck close to home. Good. I think Kopel is primarily preaching to the quire with his 59 points. He's not going to make any difference to the left.

I guess what it really boil downs to for me is that I demand the truth and the absolute facts. Until media moguls, pundits and news organizations are willing to give the facts devoid of bias (which I'm slowly learning is an inherent impossibility) then I will always be wary of what I see, hear and read.

I give you props though, at least you are willing to subject yourself to both sides of an argument which is something sadly many ideologues on either side aren't willing to do.

SixStringHero said:
I guess what it really boil downs to for me is that I demand the truth and the absolute facts. Until media moguls, pundits and news organizations are willing to give the facts devoid of bias (which I'm slowly learning is an inherent impossibility) then I will always be wary of what I see, hear and read.

I give you props though, at least you are willing to subject yourself to both sides of an argument which is something sadly many ideologues on either side aren't willing to do.

You make good points. Have you listened to Democracy Now? Amy Goodman is an excellent journalist. There is no spin - just straight reporting and interviews. Really good show. A good break from the mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom