• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man with armed security detail says, "I am opposed to self-defense."

Well that's it. I won't vote for Macron in 2024.

_______

At any rate, I have to wonder about mistranslation. From the context, it sounds like he's saying he doesn't want to see France became loaded to the gills with guns because of all the collateral not-at-all-self-defense uses people get up to in countries like America; and not that he is a pure pacifist and thinks it is wrong to offer any physical resistance to a violent attack.

Either way, it's a stupid pot-stirring thread and no more. A french president's opinions have nothing to do with gun control in America.
It's not that it's people not being able to get weapons if they want to. It's a matter of people generally not wanting to do it.

As a general rule, I don't carry a gun. I have one handy usually, but don't really "carry".

Just the calculation I've made for myself concerning risk and reward.
I'm the same way, and I agree. Most of the time I don't carry. However, if I know I'm going to be someplace where I may encounter the wildlife, I do carry. Like when I go fishing for salmon during the Summer, or when I walked my dogs during the Winter months. In the 31 years I have lived in Alaska I have had numerous encounters with brown bears, but never felt that my life was in danger and therefore never used my firearms in self-defense. However, I will continue to carry just in case that ever changes.

I'm the same way, and I agree. Most of the time I don't carry. However, if I know I'm going to be someplace where I may encounter the wildlife, I do carry. Like when I go fishing for salmon during the Summer, or when I walked my dogs during the Winter months. In the 31 years I have lived in Alaska I have had numerous encounters with brown bears, but never felt that my life was in danger and therefore never used my firearms in self-defense. However, I will continue to carry just in case that ever changes.
Remember Timothy Treadwell

Remember Timothy Treadwell
Why?

Do you think I'm some mentally defective San Francisco tourist who thinks they can commune with bears? Timothy Treadwell was your stereotypical lower-48 city critter moron whose abject stupidity not only got him killed and eaten, but his girlfriend as well. He would have been awarded a Darwin Award for his stupidity, but the tourist who walked up to a landlocked glacier to have 10,000 tons of ice calve on his head beat him out that year. My advice to the terminally stupid is to stay out of Alaska if you want to survive a little while longer.

Why?

Do you think I'm some mentally defective San Francisco tourist who thinks they can commune with bears? Timothy Treadwell was your stereotypical lower-48 city critter moron whose abject stupidity not only got him killed and eaten, but his girlfriend as well. He would have been awarded a Darwin Award for his stupidity, but the tourist who walked up to a landlocked glacier to have 10,000 tons of ice calve on his head beat him out that year. My advice to the terminally stupid is to stay out of Alaska if you want to survive a little while longer.
That was humor.
Lighten up Francis.

I fear being like you......helpless! I fear not being able to protect my kids..... like you helpless!

I don't fear the evil!!!!!! I can shoot the shit out of the evil. I can force any badguy to stop. You can't!

You fear those same badguys or you soon will. You fear me. Lol look in the mirror at the face of fear.

We fear failure nothing more!
You admit to being helpless without a gun. Sad.......

You admit to being helpless without a gun. Sad.......
Against an armed opponent you are pretty helpless. You have virtually zero chance of survival IF the badguy wishes to kill you. Not having a fair fighting chance is not a pleasant feeling for me.

Don't be sad. Carrying doesn't bother me a bit.

BTW it's sad to me that you would remain a potentially helpless victim. But it's your problem not mine.

Against an armed opponent you are pretty helpless. You have virtually zero chance of survival IF the badguy wishes to kill you. Not having a fair fighting chance is not a pleasant feeling for me.

Don't be sad. Carrying doesn't bother me a bit.

BTW it's sad to me that you would remain a potentially helpless victim. But it's your problem not mine.
Never been helpless and never been a victim my whole life.

So based on your experience, we don't have any violence problems. Thanks for your service.

So based on your experience, we don't have any violence problems. Thanks for your service.
No, there is plenty of violence. Based on my experience a gun does not solve them.

Every time? Of course not. Sometimes? Yes.
enough to have a bunch of untrained yahoos carrying guns everywhere they go? I vote no on that. Hell trained cops fired 90+ rounds at a guy and over 30 missed. That could have been a lot of collateral damage to innocents.

enough to have a bunch of untrained yahoos carrying guns everywhere they go? I vote no on that. Hell trained cops fired 90+ rounds at a guy and over 30 missed. That could have been a lot of collateral damage to innocents.
Has there actually been any cases of collateral damages from an CCW holder firing in self defense? CCW holders likely understand that shooting at someone running away isn't self defense any longer where cops still can bang away with legal impunity.

Against someone who is armed and wishes to kill you, you would be. Suggesting otherwise is pure fantasy on your part.

What about folks who take carrying seriously and train well?

France does kick the USA's ass when it comes to murder rate though:

France: 1.31
USA: 5

But then they probably just surrender to crime, just like they did to Germany in WW2.

Against someone who is armed and wishes to kill you, you would be. Suggesting otherwise is pure fantasy on your part.
There are enough real things to worry about in our daily lives then to fantasize about something that unlikely.

Obviously cops. Also armed civilians that shoot better, handle safer, and mind their own business?
There are enough real things to worry about in our daily lives then to fantasize about something that unlikely.
Fantasize is what you were seemingly doing by insinuating that you don't need a gun to remain safe. We know that it's virtually impossible against an armed adversary. Unlikely I will admit but there is an old saying that somebody always wins the lottery. My uncle won the lottery dispite 14+ million to 1 odds. So it can and does happen. Not enough for you to carry? Cool don't carry. Its certainly enough for me. I dont worry I'm armed. Done everything I can to cover all my bases.

Back
Top Bottom