• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man In The High Castle

It is set in 2003 in Poland. 20 years prior to that, in 1983, there was a series of terrorist attacks in Poland that changed the course of history. The Cold War never ended, and Poland is still a communist country. The show follows a law student and police inspector as they undercover a conspiracy to start a revolution.

That sounds good - and I have the bonus of being Polish. Appreciate the recommendation.

Maybe I should have stuck with it longer, I only got thru about 3 episodes.

No, I didnt watch any filming. When I was a park ranger in Central Park, back in the day, I saw loads of filming, met people, etc, usually was added security. So that really doesnt have alot of appeal for me.

Favorite: hanging out with Tommy Lee Jones when he filmed The Park Is Mine. However at the same time, I was trying to pick up one of the "Movie Unit" cops...he was ex-SWAT. The previous mayor had disbanded the SWAT team because they were too violent or something and they all got to pick cherry jobs in other units. I told this guy I would have picked mounted patrol. Ahhhh, memories.

That sounds completely coooool!!!!! Were you there when Hoffman and Olivier did MARATHON MAN or is that too far back?

I love hospital dramas, I have the 1st 10 seasons of ER on DVD.

Is the Knick on Netflix?

One reason I havent started the Wire is because of the violence. I tend to be watching this stuff right before bed and I dont like to go to sleep on that kind of violence.

I can recommend Suits. I also love legal dramas. LA Law, Boston Legal, The Good Wife.

I binge watched 7 seasons of Suits this fall. It's more like a soap opera set in an elite law office but somehow it reeled me in. Really liked it, even tho it took quite a bit of stretching the imagination.

THE KNICK is not on Netflix but if you have HBO On Demand you can get it.

I agree with you... I'll add something else. It's the attention to detail.... there was a scene from Season 2 where Juliana was outside Joe's apartment and I noticed she had a funny walk. It was a barely noticeable hitch in her step. But then I remembered from Season 1, that the character had broken her pelvis a year or so before the show began.... I thought it was pretty awesome how the actress had incorporated such a minor detail that happened in her character's past in such a subtle way. That's some pretty amazing physical acting.

WOW!!! you really have an eye. I too love detail and layering and it really helps make a show real for me. Some of the advertising and signs in the window and on walls is amazing in this series.

I loved the way the new showrunner for the third season added real characters from the USA like George Lincoln Rockwell and of course Hoover.

I apologize if there was a thread about this show but I could not find it. I just discovered this and am halfway through season three. This is drop dead amazing. Easily the best thing on TV today. It even surpasses what the Brits have done with PEAKY BLINDERS which is also amazing.

Anybody else watch this?

You didnt find the thread because I included it in the general TV recommend thread. :mrgreen:

But yes, it is one of my current fav series. I actually think its better than PKD's source book because of the added stuff they put into it.

I'm thinking of trying The Wire. Have you seen that?

It's very highly rated.

Yes. If youre a fan of great TV shows. the Wire is the best. Watch it. I kid you not.

I apologize if there was a thread about this show but I could not find it. I just discovered this and am halfway through season three. This is drop dead amazing. Easily the best thing on TV today. It even surpasses what the Brits have done with PEAKY BLINDERS which is also amazing.

Anybody else watch this?

I watched the first 3 episodes. To be honest, the first episode was ok, the following episodes I found highly unbelievable. I realize its an alternative history, but it was just too far fetched to hold my interest. However, if you enjoy it don't let my opinion be taken as be all end all. My history degree perhaps got in the way of me suspending belief. Is it actually in its third season? How would you rate series 2 and 3 against 1 ? Perhaps I should give it another chance.

Good, yes. Very good. But IMHO nothing reaches the level of Peaky Blinders.

OK, wait. Love/Hate blows Peaky Blinders out of the water except for reasons unknown the UK/Netflix agreement ended a continuation of the series.

This Brit had a look at Peaky Blinders and found it so bad as to be unwatchable.

Good, yes. Very good. But IMHO nothing reaches the level of Peaky Blinders.

OK, wait. Love/Hate blows Peaky Blinders out of the water except for reasons unknown the UK/Netflix agreement ended a continuation of the series.

Love/Hate is only so-so. Not bad, but I just couldnt get over the fact that the gangsters didnt look like gangsters. If you really want a good gangster show watch Gomorra- its in Italian.

I watched the first 3 episodes. To be honest, the first episode was ok, the following episodes I found highly unbelievable. I realize its an alternative history, but it was just too far fetched to hold my interest. However, if you enjoy it don't let my opinion be taken as be all end all. My history degree perhaps got in the way of me suspending belief. Is it actually in its third season? How would you rate series 2 and 3 against 1 ? Perhaps I should give it another chance.

It keeps building and each season gives you more. I really like how the character of John Smith - one of the top US Nazis - keep developing and what they did with his son and wife is really interesting. And in season 3 they introduce Hoover and that gives it a new twist as well as a new Furher.

My major was history and I love the show, in fat it probably helped me enjoy it even more

That sounds completely coooool!!!!! Were you there when Hoffman and Olivier did MARATHON MAN or is that too far back?

No, that was a few yrs before my time there. But I loved meeting the TV & movie villains...the guys that played the Italian mob hitmen all the time...they were so sweet and funny. They would go up to people that littered and stuff and get in character and scare the crap out of them.

No, that was a few yrs before my time there. But I loved meeting the TV & movie villains...the guys that played the Italian mob hitmen all the time...they were so sweet and funny. They would go up to people that littered and stuff and get in character and scare the crap out of them.

WOW!!!! I really envy your experience. It sounds amazing especially for a person who likes movies.

Back
Top Bottom