• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Macron, Putin agree to work for Ukraine ceasefire:

Saw a piece this morning where Ukrainians in the east believe the war has already started.:(

That has been going on for eight years. It’s escalating now.’

Russian troops, and Russians disguised as “separatists” are forcing people out of their homes in a propoganda show of evacuation.

Russians propoganda is full of imaginary genocide in Dombass.

This is the same play that Hitler ran against the Czechs and the British and the French in 1938,

Well that didn't last long...

Although Ukraine has clearly expressed interest in NATO, it is far from clear, and seems unlikely, that all NATO countries would agree to let Ukraine in at this point. The Big Enchilada is mostly Putin propaganda.
well then...
why not just SAY IT - give Putin what he wants ( not NATO rollbacks - but no Uk membership either)
and extract a concession back from him?

Saw a piece this morning where Ukrainians in the east believe the war has already started.:(
There have been separatist goons shelling Ukrainian military positions for months, hoping to provoke the Ukranian military to violate the Minsk Agreement and give Putin the false flag he seeks to justify an invasion.

well then...
why not just SAY IT - give Putin what he wants ( not NATO rollbacks - but no Uk membership either)
and extract a concession back from him?
What concession would you suggest be worth changing NATO charter and reducing its power?

What concession would you suggest be worth changing NATO charter and reducing its power?
ya.changing the charter is the tough part. im not trying to sugarcoat it -but by the look of things Uk will eventually get in unless Germany or France decide they dont want to war for Donbas.
and the corruption etc (im far from expert on NATO requirements)
There must be a mechanism ...beyond my pay grade though

lots of concessions in terms of of a conditional promise by Putin not to invade LDNR
or of course any part of Ukraine. maybe get him to stop supplying the separatists with heavy weapons?
I'm just thinking out loud. But get talks going. Make it conditional that Zelensky be a part as well.
We need some diplomacy instead of massing by Putin and saber rattling by US

Macaroni is going to look like Neville Chamberlain by the time all is said and done.

ya.changing the charter is the tough part. im not trying to sugarcoat it -but by the look of things Uk will eventually get in unless Germany or France decide they dont want to war for Donbas.

lots of concessions in terms of of a conditional promise by Putin not to invade LDNR
or of course any part of Ukraine. maybe get him to stop supplying the separatists with heavy weapons?
I'm just thinking out loud. But get talks going. Make it conditional that Zelensky be a part as well.

That’s a possibility.

The Russian brinksmanship of the last couple of months make that far more likely than it was even a year ago.

Talks have been ongoing. Russia wants changes to NATO. NATO isn't going to change because Russia asks. As each party has stuck to their guns on that, there is only so far talks can go.

There have been separatist goons shelling Ukrainian military positions for months, hoping to provoke the Ukranian military to violate the Minsk Agreement and give Putin the false flag he seeks to justify an invasion.
That's true, and that's why the sentiment expressed to the reporter was a change.

Let's go 'lgb'!

I think Putin wants to invade so badly he can taste it, however he may by now have worked out that Ukraine will not just fold like a pretzel and capitulate. They will fight. and in all likelihood there will be an insurgency. It will not just be a walk in like Crimea. 50,000 dead in Ukraine and perhaps thousands of dead Russian soldiers will not be a good look for Russia. The gain may not be worth the long term consequences of Russia starting a major war in Europe.
Putin is smart, so the section I bolded is exactly what he would have thought about in the Ukraine invasion scenario. There's no scenario where this ends up being a net gain for Russia, and the troop build up was the first test to see the reaction from NATO. Now that the economic impacts are clear, it seems like an even worse outlook.

Back
Top Bottom