• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Legalize all drugs

In Australia, methadone, a lighter version of heroin is available to addicts.
that has reduced crime and prostitution .... it works!

Methadone also kills people. It does not work, it is a terrible medication that many junkies use to get high off of.
Not saying that it should not be illegal (I'm in favor of drug legalization), just making sure that everybody knows it's a hardcore prescription drug that can kill people.

Last edited:
Not everyone wants to get addicted. There are those who get addicted. If all drug laws were dropped, those who want to use drugs and get inevitably get hooked on them yet are scared of the law... will. There would be pandemonium. The same concept could be implied if, instead of illegal drugs, what we call murder was no longer punishable by law.

Well no, that wouldn't happen. Already today, people who want to use drugs succeed, almost all the time. Legal or illegal, if they wants 'em, there going to get them. Addiction is real and fairly common, we deal with it as a society--no smoking inside, for example.

Except there are certain drugs out of hundreds, that are forbidden. Utterly irrational public policy.

Well no, that wouldn't happen. Already today, people who want to use drugs succeed, almost all the time. Legal or illegal, if they wants 'em, there going to get them. Addiction is real and fairly common, we deal with it as a society--no smoking inside, for example.

Except there are certain drugs out of hundreds, that are forbidden. Utterly irrational public policy.

You know, I would agree with you and say, sure let's legalize all drugs, IF I wasn't concerned about these high-as-a-kite out-of-control loons being out on the streets.

You know, I would agree with you and say, sure let's legalize all drugs, IF I wasn't concerned about these high-as-a-kite out-of-control loons being out on the streets.
Legalizing drugs is a necessary step in the evolution of America's enlightenment. My advice would be to shed your concerns and enjoy it.

Legalizing drugs is a necessary step in the evolution of America's enlightenment. My advice would be to shed your concerns and enjoy it.

Sarcasm I hope. ;)

you give someone herione there not gonna go crazy and start destroying stuff around town there gonna be ****ed up on the couch tripping, as for marijuana i believe it effects (not impares) your judgement but not to the point where your actions would be out of your control.

Last edited:
Methadone also kills people. It does not work, it is a terrible medication that many junkies use to get high off of.
Not saying that it should not be illegal (I'm in favor of drug legalization), just making sure that everybody knows it's a hardcore prescription drug that can kill people.

they sell meth medicanily to patients, there a diffrence between that meth, and methamphetamines although medicanal meth is potentionally harmful not nearly as harm full as what you see in the streets, if legalized those who wish to use would actully be safer, and it isnt cheap to make you wont see meth heads on every street corner like some believe.

Law enforcement needs to use the techniques that were so successful during prohibition.

no prohibition has ever lasted, i dont really think any techniques used were that successful...

I think that legalizing drugs is the only option here. Criminalizing only introduces an underworld of crime and violence. Legalize it and watch the economy grow with a decrease in detention and correctional costs. We have to have faith that the individual will make the right choices, moderation.

May you never be stuck in a Las Vegas elevator at 2 something AM with a meth freak.

That was England's plan to colonize China, import drugs to get the people hooked so that England could move in. It also worked well for the American liberals in the Sixties to turn America's college kids into stoners demanding more and more drugs, really kick started liberalism and America has never recovered. Liberals are addicted and demand that drugs be legalized in all 50 states.

If you want to see what drugs do to a country, go to Puerto Rico, what a craphole of druggies, now demanding statehood so they can be supported by the few remaining Americans that work.

I am not interested in paying for medical, dental and mental bills for suckers, dummies, fools and **** ups who would love nothing more than to be declared a legal pariah; a social and cultural burden. No thank you very much. Ask Amsterdam and Oslo how much they enjoyed having hordes of junk addicts and pushers.

I am not interested in paying for medical, dental and mental bills for suckers, dummies, fools and **** ups who would love nothing more than to be declared a legal pariah; a social and cultural burden. No thank you very much. Ask Amsterdam and Oslo how much they enjoyed having hordes of junk addicts and pushers.

Agreed. Normally, when it comes to things like this, I would say let them do whatever because they're only harming themselves, but SOME drugs just make some people crazy loons, and they CAN become paranoid and dangerous. Just like being temporarily insane. Now we have this stuff out there called "bath salts." Still not too sure what it is, but I've heard that it makes people certifiably insane. I'm sure you heard on the news about that guy who tried to eat another guy's face? :shock:

they sell meth medicanily to patients, there a diffrence between that meth, and methamphetamines although medicanal meth is potentionally harmful not nearly as harm full as what you see in the streets, if legalized those who wish to use would actully be safer, and it isnt cheap to make you wont see meth heads on every street corner like some believe.

I don't know why you're quoting me. Methadone is simply unsafe for junkies though. Once high, they forget what they're taking and mixing together.

Obviously out nervous system responds to whatever we get into our blood stream which makes it past the blood brain barrier... and that includes all sorts or perfectly normal stuff like sugar. Obviously we are often aware that our mental facilities are shifted at times... and not at other times. Some substances DO lower our responsive time and cognitive functions. This can be a danger to self and others.

Having said this there is no doubt that the war on drugs and the prison industrial complex seeks to make some rich and make many victims for no reason. The entire national security apparatus requires perceived threats so justify the security measures they then impose and profit from. The status quo represents the interests of the powerful and exploits the powerless for profit.

It appears that human behavior is driven by greed / self interest which is manifest in a range of behaviors. For them disenfranchised it often involves numbing and attempts to escape from the pain they experience. For others psychoactive drugs are simply escapism, recreation and diversion. Wherever money is involved... corruption is found... and violence is not far behind.

all right... heroin is really addictive and is a real problem .... however what is the solution?
there are women who are performing oral to sustain their habit!
there are men who are doing burglaries to support their habit!

what are we meant to do?

Abstain! Time for you to grow up.

And without laws to hold back those who fear being punished by said laws, more people will use these substances and get addicted. I feel we must acknowledge that there are those who will start to use these substances once the threat of punishment is nullified.

Those forbidden drugs can give a man near super-human strength, and the aggression to kill two or more people. Some of these Schedule I & II drugs are illegal because of their adverse effects on the brain, which typically results in dangerous, irrational behavior.

And without laws to hold back those who fear being punished by said laws, more people will use these substances and get addicted. I feel we must acknowledge that there are those who will start to use these substances once the threat of punishment is nullified.

Those forbidden drugs can give a man near super-human strength, and the aggression to kill two or more people. Some of these Schedule I & II drugs are illegal because of their adverse effects on the brain, which typically results in dangerous, irrational behavior.

You might be reading too much material from ONDCP perhaps? Super human strength? Dangerous irrational behavior? You mean like alcohol? Or Ritalin? Or Prozac? What about all those Ambien users, out driving around in a hypnotic state?

You might be reading too much material from ONDCP perhaps? Super human strength? Dangerous irrational behavior? You mean like alcohol? Or Ritalin? Or Prozac? What about all those Ambien users, out driving around in a hypnotic state?

The ONDCP is the Office of National Drug Control Policy*. It seems like a reliable source.

There are illegal drugs (Schedule I) that can give otherwise "normal" humans super-human strength. One example.

The “cannibal” attacker who chewed off another man’s face in a gruesome crime in Miami Saturday is suspected to have been under the influence of a dangerous drug sold under the innocuous name “bath salts.”

The victim of the attack, a homeless Miami man, was in critical condition Monday after 75% to 80% of his face was chewed off, CNN reports. Police said the attacker, Rudy Eugene, 31, exhibited “insane” behavior similar to other violent incidences linked to bath salts. Eugene was shot and killed by police during the attack. Bath salts, also known by street names like “Ivory Wave,” “Vanilla Sky,” “Bliss,” and “Purple Rain”, made headlines last year after a rush of emergency room visits, thousands of calls to poison centers and several deaths. The man-made, synthetic drug is made from amphetamine-like chemicals and causes a unique combination of effects on the brain.

If you take the worst attributes of meth, coke, PCP, LSD and Ecstasy and put them together, that’s what we’re seeing sometimes,” Mark Ryan, the director of the Louisiana Poison Center, told the New York Times. Users experience a mix of physical and psychological symptoms. The stimulant can cause excited delirium and severe hallucinations. Users can become violent and suicidal. People often experience a super-human strength, and long-lasting euphoria or paranoia, reports say.

'Bath salts': Officials say the synthetic drug in disguise was behind recent

Other Schedule I drugs can cause irrational behavior, as in causing otherwise sane people to do crazy and unsafe things while under the drug's influence.

Alcohol can be addicting, but it is nowhere as efficacious as heroin and other illegal depressant drugs. Ritalin is a medication for Attention Deficit Disorder, and is meant to be a means of treatment for people with the disorder; it is not meant for "normal" people. Prozac (Fluoxetine) is an anti-depressant; an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor)*. It's meant to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and certain other disorders. Ambien (Zolpidem) is a medication for insomnia*; people with insomnia who take Ambien are typically trying to sleep during that time. Neither an insomniac nor a "normal" person would take this nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic without very good reason, if any.

The ONDCP is the Office of National Drug Control Policy*. It seems like a reliable source.

There are illegal drugs (Schedule I) that can give otherwise "normal" humans super-human strength. One example.

'Bath salts': Officials say the synthetic drug in disguise was behind recent

Other Schedule I drugs can cause irrational behavior, as in causing otherwise sane people to do crazy and unsafe things while under the drug's influence.

Alcohol can be addicting, but it is nowhere as efficacious as heroin and other illegal depressant drugs. Ritalin is a medication for Attention Deficit Disorder, and is meant to be a means of treatment for people with the disorder; it is not meant for "normal" people. Prozac (Fluoxetine) is an anti-depressant; an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor)*. It's meant to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and certain other disorders. Ambien (Zolpidem) is a medication for insomnia*; people with insomnia who take Ambien are typically trying to sleep during that time. Neither an insomniac nor a "normal" person would take this nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic without very good reason, if any.

ONDCP is nothing but a propaganda outlet for the government. Its propaganda favors the status quo, and its style often uses fear-mongering. It does work on some people, yes.

ONDCP is nothing but a propaganda outlet for the government. Its propaganda favors the status quo, and its style often uses fear-mongering. It does work on some people, yes.

Really. So instead of responding to your incorrect statements on Ambien, Ritalin, alcohol, Prozac, super-human strength caused by illegal drugs... as well as an irrational mindsent from being under their influence...

...you just respond that the ONDCP is nothing but a propaganda outlet for the government that favors the status quo and uses fear-mongering. When someone doesn't refute anything and instead responds with some overly ambiguous and ridiculous statement, it tells me that that person doesn't really understand what he or she is talking about. Some people are like that, yes.

I understand it way more than you will ever know Wake. But it's like flogging a dead horse or trying to get a horse to drink water when you lead him to it.

Ignorance and misinformation rule on drug policy, and whatever I say or do will not change that.

I understand it way more than you will ever know Wake. But it's like flogging a dead horse or trying to get a horse to drink water when you lead him to it.

Ignorance and misinformation rule on drug policy, and whatever I say or do will not change that.

It doesn't seem that way at the rate you're going. You still will not (cannot?) acknowledge that you were wrong with your misunderstanding of Ambien, Ritalin, Prozac, etc. Not only that but you respond with insults and claims of propaganda without ever bringing empirical data to the table to prove me wrong. Again, that is the behavior of one who doesn't understand what it is they are talking about. If you want to completely ignore the credibility of the ONDCP and pretend that all of those illegal drugs are safe, you can, but don't think for even a minute that baseless claims will ever help you prove your point. If the ONDCP is propaganda, tell me exactly why, with empirical data. If you think Prozac is on the same level as bath salts, tell me exactly how. What you are doing right now is the equivalent of saying things without proof; you may as well say that the Easter Bunny exists since you don't have to provide anything to make your claims credible. Trying to coax an ignorant person to provide exceptional proof for exceptional claims is like, as you say, flogging a horse or trying to get it to drink water. If you've got something to say—not an opinion but a counter argument—add some proof to it to make it worth something.

Exactly. We need a modern day version of Carrie Nation who will fight these battles.

Back
Top Bottom