• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kyrsten Sinema: Dems hypocritical for trying to end filibuster after using it 'just last year'

Getting beyond the partisanship, both US parties want the filibuster when it suits them and usually when they are the minority party.
When the US Republicans are once again in control of their senate, the Democrats won’t find the filibuster so vile.
I will agree that it seems especially strange to anyone studying American politics. It is not used anywhere else in the world.
I believe the US senate writes it’s own rules so it seems like they could write it out but I have never been clear what majority is needed to change these rules.

So much Republican legislation is so insane, I feel like the filibuster protects them by keeping them from making it law.

Represntatives of 37,000,000 outvoting representatives of 297,000,000 is a rather extreme version of minority rule.

I agree. That’s why the filibuster needs to be removed. In the Senate, 39 should never defeat 51…

Since both parties use it, get rid of it.

I never understood why the Senate is allowed to have it. The parties decide whether to use it or not depending on who the bill favors, Democrats or Republicans.

People will use any argument to keep voter suppression.

Of other adults.

We are 2 parties at each other's throat. Why is hypocrisy a surprise to anyone? Go home and vote for the same old, do the bidding for those who take you for granted and be a good poodle.

McConnell ended the filibuster on Supreme Court nominations in response to Harry Reid's orchestration of the "nuclear option" in 2013 to reduce the number of votes required to confirm many presidential appointments (not including Supreme Court) -- in 2013 it was judicial nominees and executive office appointments.
...which, of course, was in response to Mitch McConnell gumming up the works and refusing to affirm far too many Obama appointees.... we can go on and on.

The problem is that the filibuster has been misused... used only to gum up the works. Like any power, it needs to be used sparingly. Using the power on everything is an abuse of power.

McConnell ended the filibuster on Supreme Court nominations in response to Harry Reid's orchestration of the "nuclear option" in 2013 to reduce the number of votes required to confirm many presidential appointments (not including Supreme Court) -- in 2013 it was judicial nominees and executive office appointments.

Let's face it, both parties love the filibuster when they are in the minority, and don't when they are the majority. I really wouldn't consider either hypocritical. Or maybe both are.

Stopping governance. Having a small minority party dictate everything.
small minority party-the one that runs a majority of the states?

"To those who want to eliminate the legislative filibuster to pass the For the People Act (voting-rights legislation I support and have co-sponsored), I would ask: Would it be good for our country if we did, only to see that legislation rescinded a few years from now and replaced by a nationwide voter-ID law or restrictions on voting by mail in federal elections, over the objections of the minority?" Sinema wrote in The Post."

Uh, Ms. Sinema, that's exactly what they are doing in the states right now.
The states are given the constitutional authority to structure their elections as they see fit. The federal government is not. So there’s that.

Represntatives of 37,000,000 outvoting representatives of 297,000,000 is a rather extreme version of minority rule.
Except it really doesn’t work that way. Senator Rick Scott represents me far more then Senator Feinstein.

So you can’t claim that Feinstein is a Senator of everyone in California.

We are 2 parties at each other's throat. Why is hypocrisy a surprise to anyone? Go home and vote for the same old, do the bidding for those who take you for granted and be a good poodle.
Because the federal government is an instrument of power and two parties have competing visions of how to use power.

Duh!

At the very least change it back to a talking filibuster. Make the minority party at least feel some pain for evoking the filibuster.

At the very least change it back to a talking filibuster. Make the minority party at least feel some pain for evoking the filibuster.
I actually do favor that. I don't favor killing the filibuster, but make them actually do it.

Republicans are hypocritical for embracing after ending it to get Gorsuch appointed.

Hypocrisy is a poor argument.
Not when it comes to liberals, and you're not the authority around here about what's an argument.

The wrong is that both parties misuse the procedure to damage the country.
You know that's why we separated from you, and other reasons. You were damaging the country.

The party in the minority lauds the filibuster as a safeguard while the majority party lambasts it as obstruction.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat…
So what?

Except it really doesn’t work that way. Senator Rick Scott represents me far more then Senator Feinstein.

So you can’t claim that Feinstein is a Senator of everyone in California.

Nor does Scott represent everyone in Florida. I have noticed a pattern of conservative senators referring to their supporters as their constituents, as though they don't represent the people of their state who didn't vote for them. And they have become increasingly extremist in their views, narrowing down who they truly represent even more.

Arent elections supposed to have consequences? Unless either party wins 60 senate seats to prevent filibusters, 39 is able to defeat 51. Its a power grab by whatever party is in the minority. Winning elections should mean something than being able to choose a Senate majority leader.

Back
Top Bottom