• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

KLATTU deconstructs liberal propagandist

KLATTU

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Justice failed Trayvon Martin the night he was killed. We should be appalled and outraged, but perhaps not surprised, that it failed him again Saturday night, with a verdict setting his killer free.

Our society considers young black men to be dangerous, interchangeable, expendable, guilty until proven innocent. This is the conversation about race that we desperately need to have — but probably, as in the past, will try our best to avoid.
" Our society'? A liitle broadbrushed, wouldn't you say? In fact if you check out this very forum, it is quite the opposite with liberals here. Trayvon Martin just never possibly could have been doing anything wrong that night. Eugene Robinson

Writes about politics and culture in twice-a-week columns and on the PostPartisan blog.

Archive

Follow on TwitterFacebookRSSGallery

The best editorial cartoons of 2013 (so far): A collection of cartoons from around the country.
Video
Eugene Robinson: Trayvon Martin never had a chance - The Washington Post
Ann Telnaes animation: The cowboy attitude of ‘stand your ground’ laws.

You may also like...

Dana Milbank

The GOP’s food stamp clunker

Richard Cohen

Black-and-white reality

.George Zimmerman’s acquittal was set in motion on Feb. 26, 2012, before Martin’s body was cold. When Sanford, Fla., police arrived on the scene, they encountered a grown man who acknowledged killing an unarmed 17-year-old boy. They did not arrest the man or test him for drug or alcohol use. They conducted a less-than-energetic search for forensic evidence. They hardly bothered to look for witnesses.
Opinion, not supported by factsOnly a national outcry forced authorities to investigate the killing seriously. Even after six weeks, evidence was found to justify arresting Zimmerman, charging him with second-degree murder and putting him on trial. But the chance of dispassionately and definitively establishing what happened that night was probably lost. The only complete narrative of what transpired was Zimmerman’s.

Really , what was that new 'evidence???'Jurors knew that Zimmerman was an overeager would-be cop, a self-appointed guardian of the neighborhood who carried a loaded gun. They were told that he profiled Martin — young, black, hooded sweatshirt — as a criminal. Vicious lies.There is ZERO evidence his being black had anything to do with it and he never said ANYTHING about him being a criminal They heard that he stalked Martin despite the advice of a 911 operator;

More vicious lies - he never "stalked " him, and ,as has been repeated numerous times- when he was advised " you don't need to do that( following him ) " - he stopped that the stalking led to a confrontation; and that, in the confrontation, Zimmerman fatally shot Martin in the chest.
. The jurors also knew that Martin was carrying only a bag of candy and a soft drink.

AWWW- what a sweet liittle boy , getting candy for his brother- you gonna tell youe readers WHY he was carying skittles and watermelon drink???They knew that Martin was walking from a 7-Eleven to the home of his father’s girlfriend when he noticed a strange man in an SUV following him.

To me, and to many who watched the trial, the fact that Zimmerman recklessly initiated the tragic encounter was enough to establish, at a minimum, guilt of manslaughter. The six women on the jury disagreed.
More vicious lies. There is ZERO evdence that Zimmerman initiated the encounter. The testimony before the jurors was that Martin was the initiator.Those jurors also knew that Martin, at the time of his death, was just three weeks past his 17th birthday. But black boys in this country are not allowed to be children. They are assumed to be men, and to be full of menace.

I don’t know if the jury, which included no African Americans, consciously or unconsciously bought into this racist way of thinking — there’s really no other word. But it hardly matters, because police and prosecutors initially did.

The assumption underlying their ho-hum approach to the case was that Zimmerman had the right to self-defense but Martin — young, male, black — did not. The assumption was that Zimmerman would fear for his life in a hand-to-hand struggle but Martin — young, male, black — would not.

If anyone wonders why African Americans feel so passionately about this case, it’s because we know that our 17-year-old sons are boys, not men. It’s because we know their adolescent bravura is just that — an imitation of manhood, not the real thing.

We know how frightened our sons would be, walking home alone on a rainy night and realizing they were being followed. We know how torn they would be between a child’s fear and a child’s immature idea of manly behavior. We know how they would struggle to decide the right course of action, flight or fight.

And we know that a skinny boy armed only with candy, [no matter how big and bad he tries to seem, does not pose a mortal threat to a healthy adult man who outweighs him by 50 pounds and has had martial arts training (even if the lessons were mostly a waste of money). We know that the boy may well have threatened the man’s pride but likely not his life. How many murders-by-sidewalk have you heard of recently? Or ever?
More BS ....the testimony before the jurors was that ( according to Zimmerman's statement) MArtin said" you're gonna die tonight AND-HE WAS GOINF FOR ZIMMERMAN's GUN
The conversation we need to have is about how black men, even black boys, are denied the right to be young, to be vulnerable, to make mistakes. We need to talk about why, for example, black men are no more likely than white men to smoke marijuana but nearly four times as likely to be arrested for it — and condemned to a dead-end cycle of incarceration and unemployment. I call this racism. What do you call it?
WOW!! talk about denial- is that why black men are incarcerated ? because they get busted for marijuana??
Trayvon Martin was fighting more than George Zimmerman that night. He was up against prejudices as old as American history, and he never had a chance.

Last edited:
Oh... seriously disappointed. I thought it would be this klaatu...

Long story short, Trayvon got what he was asking for.
No he didn't. What happened to Trayvon Martin was a tragedy and going around saying he deserved it is inhuman. I'm not saying Martin was a good kid, much evidence says he wasn't. I'm not saying Zimmerman wasn't legally in the right to approach Martin and/or discharge his weapon, the jury said he was. And I'm certainly not saying this was racially motivated, because there's very little evidence to support that.

But to say anyone deserves to be killed is flat out ridiculous.

No he didn't. What happened to Trayvon Martin was a tragedy and going around saying he deserved it is inhuman. I'm not saying Martin was a good kid, much evidence says he wasn't. I'm not saying Zimmerman wasn't legally in the right to approach Martin and/or discharge his weapon, the jury said he was. And I'm certainly not saying this was racially motivated, because there's very little evidence to support that.

But to say anyone deserves to be killed is flat out ridiculous.
Trayvon should of and could have just gone home, he decided to engage a man who ended up being armed. For being that stupid and thugish, you deserve to die.

Trayvon should of and could have just gone home, he decided to engage a man who ended up being armed. For being that stupid and thugish, you deserve to die.
I'm just re-quoting you, so everyone can see exactly how you feel about kids who make mistakes. Apparently a kid who makes a mistake deserves to die. Got it.

I'm just re-quoting you, so everyone can see exactly how you feel about kids who make mistakes. Apparently a kid who makes a mistake deserves to die. Got it.
A mistake? How about commit a crime. The crime of assault and battery. He would have been charged as an adult as well.
A mistake is he forgot his homework, oh wait he was kicked out of school.
And lets for arguement sake say, why didnt Trayvon run away from Zimmerman? You think people should run in the face of danger and attacks.
I am more than sure Trayvon was plenty atheletic enough to out run Zimmerman.
So, why did he not run?

A mistake? How about commit a crime. The crime of assault and battery. He would have been charged as an adult as well.
A mistake is he forgot his homework, oh wait he was kicked out of school.
And lets for arguement sake say, why didnt Trayvon run away from Zimmerman? You think people should run in the face of danger and attacks.
I am more than sure Trayvon was plenty atheletic enough to out run Zimmerman.
So, why did he not run?
Why does it matter? You wanted him to die, so you should be happy.

By the way, breaking a law is a mistake as well as a crime. And why didn't Trayvon run? Because he made a mistake, that's what I said. Why are you so perfectly happy with killing kids who make mistakes?

Back
Top Bottom