• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kim Potter, ex-officer convicted in fatal shooting of Daunte Wright, sentenced to 2 years in prison -- less than prosecutors requested

This was like trusting oral advice from the IRS. Anyone wonder why I am a libertarian?
Sure wish more libertarians were skeptical of people that actually can kill you an IRS agent is the least dangerous arm of the state.

If you had paid attention to the trial, her reason (excuse?) for letting her trainee make a mistake (allowing the suspect to escape) was to avoid embarrassing him. That (poor?) judgement call, coupled with her second (weapon’s choice) mistake, resulted in someone’s death.

i am not much for begging a felon to please comply and not run... and then chase them endlessly

i don't know, i just don't see that as effective

to bad she shot him instead of tasering him but for her to go to jail is insane

So sorry that she has to serve even one minute of jail time.

We have robbers and sucker punchers and looters and rapists and murderers who are never punished but just given probation -- if even that!

Of course, the lady does not fit the politically correct profile, so she's out of luck!

That's right: Many cops will just let bad people flee from now on.

Who were the judge’s tears for?

How common is it for a judge to get emotional during sentencing?

our nations sentencing guidelines are a hot mess.....

A bit lighter sentence than I had expected, which was 3 to 5 years (1/5 to 1/3 of the maximum possible 15 years). This was still a vast improvement over the ‘internal review’ process normally used to ‘handle’ police shootings.
The conviction was bogus and not in accordance with the law.

I agree. When you look at the goals of incarceration in the criminal justice system, there is little to be gained by a lengthy sentence. It was a tragic accident. She's not a criminal, nor is she likely to go out and commit crimes.

I'm still troubled by the conviction though. There's every indication she was a good officer. She made a mistake in a split second decision forced upon her by a young man committing a serious crime. It was clearly an accident - she was trying not to kill him. The ironic part is that if she had actually tried to shoot him under the circumstances, she likely would have been fully justified.
That’s probably why the sentence was so short, the judge knows the conviction is BS and she doesn’t want to be on the retrial when the appeals court reversed it, she’s hoping that with an 18 month sentence that Potter will serve like 9 month and be released for good behavior and won’t appeal

I'm sensing some black grievance.

I dont really think this is the proper thread for that Mr. Person.(n)
He has point. Which is worse? Recklessly killing another human being, or registering to vote while being unaware that you aren't permitted to do so. Come on man. It's not even close.

I agree. When you look at the goals of incarceration in the criminal justice system, there is little to be gained by a lengthy sentence. It was a tragic accident. She's not a criminal, nor is she likely to go out and commit crimes.

I'm still troubled by the conviction though. There's every indication she was a good officer. She made a mistake in a split second decision forced upon her by a young man committing a serious crime. It was clearly an accident - she was trying not to kill him. The ironic part is that if she had actually tried to shoot him under the circumstances, she likely would have been fully justified.
If she is so inept as to be not be able to tell the difference between a stun gun and a real gun, even when the stun gun is loudly colored and much lighter and always on the weak side. Then she had no business in training anyone. If you're that incompetent you cannot be in that job or least not be out on the street. Simple as that. And 2 years is a pretty light sentence given the gravity of the irreversible consequences of her actions. But the more important part is that to the benefit of the public at large she will no longer be able to work in a police job there, or anywhere else, that she has proven to be obviously unqualified to do.

Remorseful white female cop, that's two years.

Black female who is mislead/tricked into trying to vote by probation?

'Merka.

A Black woman who was sentenced last week to six years and one day in prison for trying to register to vote in 2019 despite having a felony conviction. . . .
Ms. Moses was confused because she thought her probation was over, Mr. Anyanwu said. She still wanted to run for mayor, or at the very least vote in the upcoming election, so she went to find answers. In September 2019, a judge told Ms. Moses that she was indeed still on probation. She remained skeptical and went to the probation office, where a probation officer told her she was actually done with her felony probation, records show. The probation officer signed off on her voting rights restoration form. Ms. Moses submitted the form to election officials.
Problems came one day later. The probation officer had made a mistake, and the Department of Correction sent a letter to the Shelby County Election Commission informing it that Ms. Moses was “still under an active felony sentence” and could not vote, records show. Ms. Moses was then charged with perjury on a registration form and consenting to a false entry on official election documents. The former charge was dropped, because there was no false statement from Ms. Moses on the voting form, but she was convicted of the second charge in November and sentenced Jan. 31 to six years and one day in prison.

Maybe her criminal record had something to do with the sentence. In any event this has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread and is nothing but race baiting. Shame on you.

Maybe her criminal record had something to do with the sentence. In any event this has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread and is nothing but race baiting. Shame on you.

It has everything to do with the thread, except for those people who for whatever reason feel the need to go out and attack anyone who dares mention the existence of racism.

Self-righteous sanctimony in service of shutting down discussion of racism is an ugly thing, holb. Talk about "shame".

I think this is a fair sentence given the circumstances surrounding the shooting.
No, 7 years would have been fair.
The only real "crime" committed here Lloyd, besides the long list of them committed by Dumb Duante leading to his fatal encounter that day, is the fact that Officer Potter will spend any time at all behind bars. She clearly doesnt belong there.
That is the real crime here Lloyd. IMO
Yes, she does belong behind bars. She's not a civilian. She pretended to be a cop and cops need to be held to an higher standard given their training and experience.

If she was a civilian, 2 years would be appropriate.

Remorseful white female cop, that's two years.

Black female who is mislead/tricked into trying to vote by probation?

'Merka.

A Black woman who was sentenced last week to six years and one day in prison for trying to register to vote in 2019 despite having a felony conviction. . . .
Ms. Moses was confused because she thought her probation was over, Mr. Anyanwu said. She still wanted to run for mayor, or at the very least vote in the upcoming election, so she went to find answers. In September 2019, a judge told Ms. Moses that she was indeed still on probation. She remained skeptical and went to the probation office, where a probation officer told her she was actually done with her felony probation, records show. The probation officer signed off on her voting rights restoration form. Ms. Moses submitted the form to election officials.
Problems came one day later. The probation officer had made a mistake, and the Department of Correction sent a letter to the Shelby County Election Commission informing it that Ms. Moses was “still under an active felony sentence” and could not vote, records show. Ms. Moses was then charged with perjury on a registration form and consenting to a false entry on official election documents. The former charge was dropped, because there was no false statement from Ms. Moses on the voting form, but she was convicted of the second charge in November and sentenced Jan. 31 to six years and one day in prison.

Sigh. How is it that no matter how many times the MSM feeds you race bile, you guys keep returning to the feed trough for more? Look, even I occasionally fall for a story of seeming racial injustice (and sheepishly been burned by it) but how is it that you all just insist on leaping before you look?

Ya, at first I too thought the story of a poor black woman, confused by procedures and paperwork, stumbled into an honest mistake and was overly punished. BUT, having been burned in the past I decided to check it out.

And as could have been predicted, after reading the judges sentencing order it was no longer what it seemed; the woman is a very bright and educated "victim" who files her own legal briefs and motions, and constantly scams to avoid the law. When she gets caught (15 convictions on her record in the last 15 years), she turns into this "I's just too black and simple minded" to be held accountable.

Another one (trope) bites the dust.

Last edited:
This is so so so so wrong.

Cops will simply not do their jobs anymore, be happy liberals.

So, put more money and resources and replace these do nothings with better trained more professional officers.

If there is a lesson to be learned from this tragedy, that is it.

So, put more money and resources and replace these do nothings with better trained more professional officers.

If there is a lesson to be learned from this tragedy, that is it.

The lesson is clear. Sometimes we must live with mistakes as police are like the rest of us, human, prone to mistake.

If she is so inept as to be not be able to tell the difference between a stun gun and a real gun, even when the stun gun is loudly colored and much lighter and always on the weak side. Then she had no business in training anyone. If you're that incompetent you cannot be in that job or least not be out on the street. Simple as that. And 2 years is a pretty light sentence given the gravity of the irreversible consequences of her actions. But the more important part is that to the benefit of the public at large she will no longer be able to work in a police job there, or anywhere else, that she has proven to be obviously unqualified to do.
It was a stupid mistake - no question. Unfortunately, despite training and practice, sometimes stupid mistakes happen. Especially under as much pressure as she was in at that moment.

The think is that we're not talking about competence, or whether she should be in that job. You could make a case for her 'not being in that job', and that's a conversation that should have taken place regardless. That's a different conversation than criminal liability.

(CNN)-Kim Potter, the former Minnesota police officer who mistakenly drew a gun instead of a Taser and fatally shot Daunte Wright, was sentenced to 2 years in prison on Friday, nearly two months after she was convicted of first- and second-degree manslaughter.

The sentence is less than the 86 months -- or 7 years and 2 months -- that prosecutors requested. Potter's attorneys argued for a lesser sentence, pointing to her lack of a prior criminal history and remorse for Wright's death.

Potter will be required to serve two-thirds of her sentence in prison, according to state law. With good behavior, she will be eligible for supervised release for the remaining third.

I think this is a fair sentence given the circumstances surrounding the shooting.
She should not have even gone to trial and wouldn't have if she was black.

Sigh. How is it that no matter how many times the MSM feeds you race bile, you guys keep returning to the feed trough for more? Look, even I occasionally fall for a story of seeming racial injustice (and sheepishly been burned by it) but how is it that you all just insist on leaping before you look?

Ya, at first I too thought the story of a poor black woman, confused by procedures and paperwork, stumbled into an honest mistake and was overly punished. BUT, having been burned in the past I decided to check it out.

And as could have been predicted, after reading the judges sentencing order it was no longer what it seemed; the woman is a very bright and educated "victim" who files her own legal briefs and motions, and constantly scams to avoid the law. When she gets caught (15 convictions on her record in the last 15 years), she turns into this "I's just too black and simple minded" to be held accountable.

Another one (trope) bites the dust.
The left though Actually believes that being black means you are too simple minded to act responsibly. They genuinely believe their trope, probably because they actually are racist.

No, 7 years would have been fair.

Yes, she does belong behind bars. She's not a civilian. She pretended to be a cop and cops need to be held to an higher standard given their training and experience.

If she was a civilian, 2 years would be appropriate.
She didn’t actually break the law, so zero years is appropriate

It has everything to do with the thread, except for those people who for whatever reason feel the need to go out and attack anyone who dares mention the existence of racism.

Self-righteous sanctimony in service of shutting down discussion of racism is an ugly thing, holb. Talk about "shame".
I mean, are you making the argument that racism is the reason Daunte Wright was too retarded to comply with simple commands like step out of the car and submit to lawful arrest?

Whether or not she should have known the difference is irrelevant, she didn’t actually break the law. She should have a sentence of zero. Because she should’ve been acquitted.

I mean the real issue here, is that Daunte Wright died doing what he loved which is getting involved in shootings.

It was a stupid mistake - no question. Unfortunately, despite training and practice, sometimes stupid mistakes happen. Especially under as much pressure as she was in at that moment.

The think is that we're not talking about competence, or whether she should be in that job. You could make a case for her 'not being in that job', and that's a conversation that should have taken place regardless. That's a different conversation than criminal liability.
This was no whoopsy. A human being needlessly died because of her incompetence. Shattering the lives of his family who can never be made whole again. And pressure my ass. They stopped this kid because he had too many odor eaters hanging from the rear view mirror of the car he was driving. I mean WTF! He died because of something as trivial as that? How do you let something like that get to that point? By being incompetent. That's how. This is not a job for everybody.

Whether or not she should have known the difference is irrelevant, she didn’t actually break the law. She should have a sentence of zero. Because she should’ve been acquitted.
Committing first degree and second manslaughter is not really breaking law? Okay. Good to know. :rolleyes: But then what else should I have expected from you.

Committing first degree and second manslaughter is not really breaking law? Okay. Good to know. :rolleyes: But then what else should I have expected from you.
She’s obviously not guilty of manslaughter.

Back
Top Bottom