• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Kill me now congragulations

Iriemon said:
So you did know why the Dems didn't support the bill, and you were just acting dumb to try to make a lame argument. I should have known better.

Yeah the greedy bastards want to tax the estate of a person that dies twice.....

hipsterdufus said:
Today Bush said he would sign one of Pelosi's first "radical ideas" - a raise in the minimum wage for the first time in 10 years. (Without the Paris Hilton tax repeal clause)

Kudos to Bush. Actually it hurt the GOP to not raise the minum wage before the mid-terms, because it was put on State ballots and helped the GOTV for the Dems.

I don't know about Paris Hilton but I don't want my estate taxed twice when I die for the benefit of a bunch of greedy dems.......Oh and I am not rich........

By the way in my state the minimum wage is already $7.25 and hour......

AlbqOwl said:
True. She has been accused of being 'too moderate' in that district. :lol:

However, as Speaker, do you think she might now have her sites set on bigger and better things? Maybe the Senate or even the Presidency? In that case, would she not want to shed herself of some of the liberal label to make herself more attractive on a wider scale?

I think that if she does not do the far left wing bidding of the Peoples Republic of San francisco she will be out of a job........

I don't know about Paris Hilton but I don't want my estate taxed twice when I die for the benefit of a bunch of greedy dems.......Oh and I am not rich........

You will have over 4 million dollars in assets when you die? Somehow I doubt that.

Navy Pride said:

But you don't mind if folks who work pay higher taxes so that heirs don't have to pay tax.

Republican values. Which is why they are out.

And btw, if you are not rich you don't have to worry about it.

Navy Pride said:
Yeah the greedy bastards want to tax the estate of a person that dies twice.....

Imagine that. Since not many people die twice it shouldn't affect many people. ;)

By the way in my state the minimum wage is already $7.25 and hour......
So that must mean that there's massive unemployment and all the mom and pop stores are shut down in that state....:2rofll:

Iriemon said:
Imagine that. Since not many people die twice it shouldn't affect many people. ;)

The reforms however were to protect the inheritance of those who owned the property when they died. The enormous estate taxes once imposed meant that many kids were forced to sell the family farm or business or homestead in order to pay them. The problem was exacerbated by so many people living much longer and exhausting cash reserves during retirement so that the property itself was all they had left to leave.

Reducing or eliminating those estate taxes helped people to be able to hold onto income producing property that they inherited, and that was a good thing. The Dems will likely try to reinstate the taxes, however.

Navy Pride said:
It should be interesting to see how these moderate and conservatives dems vote on the radical left wing issues Pelosi proposes..........

As far as governors go, we in Florida elected a pro-choice Republican who is rumored to be gay. I don't care at all if he is gay, but he is not your typical Republican. He's somewhere in the middle.

And a lot of the Republicans running for Congress distanced themselves from the 'Right' leadership, becoming more moderate. Its not just the Democrats moving closer to the middle.

AlbqOwl said:
The reforms however were to protect the inheritance of those who owned the property when they died. The enormous estate taxes once imposed meant that many kids were forced to sell the family farm or business or homestead in order to pay them. The problem was exacerbated by so many people living much longer and exhausting cash reserves during retirement so that the property itself was all they had left to leave.

Can you show one documented example where kids were actually required to sell the family farm because of the estate tax?

Reducing or eliminating those estate taxes helped people to be able to hold onto income producing property that they inherited, and that was a good thing. The Dems will likely try to reinstate the taxes, however.

Reducing the estate tax means that people who earn their money have to pay higher taxes so that trust fund babies who inherit money don't.

tryreading said:
And a lot of the Republicans running for Congress distanced themselves from the 'Right' leadership, becoming more moderate.

That's why they lost, they abandoned their conservative principles.

Its not just the Democrats moving closer to the middle.

The Dems are not moving to the middle they are saying they're moving to the middle but the far left is firmly in control of the party.

AlbqOwl said:

They will reinstate them because eliminating them results in a trillion dollars of lost revenue over the next 10 years.

All farms and small businesses have to do is go corp to avoid estate taxes. I would challenge you to find one example of any small business or farm that was forced to sell because of estate taxes. It is a myth propogated by some of the weathiest families in America.

The middle class in this country is being taxed to death. I owe the Federal Government every damn year come tax time. I pay payroll taxes only for them to be mortgaged against to pay for tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. Moreover, those payroll taxes are double taxed I pay over $2200 a year in property taxes. I pay a 1% city income tax. I pay 7% to 9% on every purchase in sales taxes, which are double taxed. I pay thousands a year in state income taxes. I pay taxes on every utility bill, which are double taxed. I pay taxes on a vehicle I already paid taxes on when I purchased, another double tax. I paid 30 dollars this year for a state fishing license. I paid another 15 for a county fishing license. I paid another 20 for a county canoe license. I pay 5 dollars every time I visit one of my states underfunded state parks, and on top of all of that, despite the fact that the county I live in is percapita one of the wealthiest in the nation, my taxes will not even pay for my son to go to all day Kindergarden this year, so I will have to pay 250 dollars a month and after school care just so he can go to all day kindergarden on top of other assorted fees.

So forgive me if I cant shed a tear for people like Paris Hilton paying taxes on money that was simply handed to them when their parents die. Especially with the knowledge that if they cut those taxes, all that would happen is people like me would pay picking up the difference.

Re: Kill me now congratulations

Spencer Collins said:
Congratulations To The Democrats!

No..I did not vote for you,I voted for Constitution party candidates.I do hope that some common ground can be found in DC. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. These are interesting times we live in,we must try to work together.Our nations security is in your hands,please take a more active roll in securing our borders and understand this. There are people out there who wish to do us harm! I trust that many good moderates will rise to the occasion,please don't prove me wrong!

Greetings from your Libertarian brother. The only area our parties disagree on is about religion in government, but on everything else, I believe our positions are the same, so we DO have some common ground. :)

Iriemon said:

I think you are smart enough to get my meaning........ah, maybe not.....:roll:

BWG said:
So that must mean that there's massive unemployment and all the mom and pop stores are shut down in that state....:2rofll:

A lot of small business owners in this state who employed 4 people at $6.25 and hour now employ 2 people at $7.25 and hour......You do the math.

Its obvious you are not a small business owner........:roll:

tryreading said:
As far as governors go, we in Florida elected a pro-choice Republican who is rumored to be gay. I don't care at all if he is gay, but he is not your typical Republican. He's somewhere in the middle.

And a lot of the Republicans running for Congress distanced themselves from the 'Right' leadership, becoming more moderate. Its not just the Democrats moving closer to the middle.

Why is so important for you liberals to out people that are gay? Isn't that their personal business? This is the second time today I have heard a liberal try and out a republican.The other one was Ken Melhman.........And you say we are the intolerant ones........:roll:

My question is do democrats care about anything but increasing taxes?

Navy Pride said:
Why is so important for you liberals to out people that are gay? Isn't that their personal business? This is the second time today I have heard a liberal try and out a republican.The other one was Ken Melhman.........And you say we are the intolerant ones........:roll:

Mr. Mike Gallagher, esteemed Republican candidate running against Crist in the primary, outed Gallagher. Gallagher leans more to the right than Crist, so no liberal outed the man.

Regarding Mehlman, you are referring to Bill Mahr. Bill Mahr is certainly a liberal. One of your Republican radio jocks today played a sound byte of him saying Melhman is gay. So you heard that outing from a conservative source too.

Last edited:
tryreading said:
Mr. Mike Gallagher, esteemed Republican candidate running against Crist in the primary, outed Gallagher. Gallagher leans more to the right than Crist, so no liberal outed the man.

Regarding Mehlman, you are referring to Bill Mahr. Bill Mahr is certainly a liberal. One of your Republican radio jocks today played a sound byte of him saying Melhman is gay. So you heard that outing from a conservative source too.

No, there is a vast difference between outing somebody who is gay and reporting that somebody else outed somebody who is gay.

The GOP has no problem with gay people and quite amicably co-exists with all its loyal members, gay and straight, without making an issue or any big deal of anybody's sexual orientation.

For the Democrats to out people who are gay in hopes of alienating the Republicans and winning votes for the Democrat side is about as hypocritical as it gets for a party who claims to be the party that is compassionate and champions gay rights.

tryreading said:
....................... :spin: ..........................

Navy Pride said:
The dems shot down a minimum wage increase a month ago..:confused:

So what was the proposed increase?

The backbone of this country is the small business owner.....

Not anymore, it's corporate America.

I work at the HQ of a large, national, and very popular chain of retail stores. 8 years ago the company decided to stop renting the 52 story office tower it was in and build it's own 32 and 14 story towers.... The block it built on had a small independent coffe shop, an independent eyewear shop, an artists supply shop and a small bridal shop.

At the same time U.S. Bankcorp tore down an already failing mall with lots of small retail businesses in it, and built a huge tower of their own as well. Also across the street from tower I work in, Ryan Construction Co. built a new building as well... Today the company I work for occupies that building and has moved back into the old tower it used to rent as well, only now the mall at the base of the tower has been mostly converted into more office space and again small businesses have been pushed out.

Across the other street from the office I'm in was an independent record store with 20 years of history, now it's the sight of a condo development that can't sell the units it needs to even get financed so the builder is considering making the bottom half into a luxury hotel... They haven't even broke ground but they just had to force the record store owner out of business within a month of their buying the property. There used to be a lot of cool shops and places to go in downtown MPLS but now it's just national chain store after national chain store. It's kind of depressing really.

By price controls you take away the incentive for drug experimentation..Why should a company bring new drugs in when their profit would be the same whether they do it or not...

Well I ain't gonna cry for the CEO who's going straight to hell then.

small business owners in this state who employed 4 people at $6.25 and hour now employ 2 people at $7.25 and hour......You do the math.
That's what I said.
BWG said:
So that must mean that there's massive unemployment
Doing the math, it looks like 50% unemployment. :2razz:

Navy Pride said:
A lot of small business owners in this state who employed 4 people at $6.25 and hour now employ 2 people at $7.25 and hour......You do the math.

Its obvious you are not a small business owner........:roll:

OK ......... I'll do the math.

A lot of small business owners employ 4 people at 6.25, that is equivalent to paying a total of $25.00 an hour.

2 people at $7.25 = $14.50. The small business owners still have $10.50 less over. So why are they not hiring at least a a third guy? And assuming they are so squeezed on their profits margin (unlike most corps these days which are raking in the profits) they can't hire the 4th, they'd still have enough $$ left over for part-time help.

Funny math.

BWG said:
That's what I said.

Doing the math, it looks like 50% unemployment. :2razz:

Doing the math, corporations might have to reduce their profit margins by a 1/2 a percent so the poorest workers can make a decent living. OMG! Terrible!

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Kill me lord just kill me now, we have a Speaker Pelosi and coming soon to a Senate near you a majority leader Reid. Just kill me now lord.

That being said, congragulations Democrats.

Why fret! Bush still has the power to attack Iran or North Korea!
He can still harm the world some more with his NeoCon mythology!

Back
Top Bottom