• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge rules against Trump in lawsuit to block Democrats’ subpoena for financial records

roughdraft274

ThunderCougarFalconBird
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Judge rules against Trump in lawsuit to block Democrats''' subpoena for financial records
A federal judge ruled against President Donald Trump on Monday in a lawsuit to block a subpoena from House Democrats for information about his finances.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee subpoenaed accounting firm Mazars in April, requesting financial documents and related materials from Trump, his trust and a handful of his businesses.

Trump’s lawyers sued in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., to block that subpoena, arguing in their legal complaint that Democrats had “declared all-out political war” against Trump.

Not sure how anyone can be surprised by this. The judge didn't even order a stay as requested by the president's lawyers so that this ruling can be placed on hold pending appeal. Our country doesn't work if one branch can't provide checks and balances on another. Everyone should be happy regarding this ruling.

Edit: Heres a link to the judges opinion.
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6019022/20-19-Opinion-House-v-Trump.pdf

Last edited:
Now let's just hope that the same Federal judge will get the Deutsch Bank and tax return cases too.

Being serious, though, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that this ruling was made in such short order. If this is a sign of things to come, we may expect to see similar rulings on the other subpoenas over Trump's financial records with this speed.

In before trump supporters boo hoo over Trump's privacy.

Now let's just hope that the same Federal judge will get the Deutsch Bank and tax return cases too.

Being serious, though, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that this ruling was made in such short order. If this is a sign of things to come, we may expect to see similar rulings on the other subpoenas over Trump's financial records with this speed.

Well, hopefully any judge worth his/her salt would take these same steps. The only possible way for a congress to provide it's oversight role in any meaningful way is for their subpoenas to actually mean something and to be complied with in a timely manner.

“They have made clear that this is not about legislation. They want to know if there has been any wrongdoing,” Consovoy said. “That is not the purpose of Congress.”

Mehta disputed that, saying Congress could legitimately investigate whether Trump is complying with the U.S. Constitution’s Emoluments Clause, which bars Trump-owned businesses from receiving payments from foreign governments.

“That would be a proper subject of investigation,” the judge said.

Mehta said that under Consovoy’s argument, many historic investigations by Congress would have been improper, including the probe into the Watergate scandal that forced President Richard Nixon from office.

The Judge's decision reflects the common sense criticism of Trump's total block of subpoenas, making the point that any decision in favor of Trump here effectively renders Congressional oversight null and void.

Judge rules against Trump in lawsuit to block Democrats''' subpoena for financial records
Not sure how anyone can be surprised by this. The judge didn't even order a stay as requested by the president's lawyers so that this ruling can be placed on hold pending appeal. Our country doesn't work if one branch can't provide checks and balances on another. Everyone should be happy regarding this ruling.

"A federal judge ruled against President Donald Trump on Monday in a lawsuit to block a subpoena from House Democrats for information about his finances."

Good luck with that ... :lol:

"A federal judge ruled against President Donald Trump on Monday in a lawsuit to block a subpoena from House Democrats for information about his finances."

Good luck with that ... :lol:

Good luck with what?

If it's within Congress powers Trump should comply. However, it is shocking how radical and insane the Democrats have become weaponizing congressional powers to do anything they can to overturn an election they believe was owed to them. They put attacking the president ahead of legislating and trying to better America. Hopefully, all sane voters turn the House red again in 2020.

If it's within Congress powers Trump should comply. However, it is shocking how radical and insane the Democrats have become weaponizing congressional powers to do anything they can to overturn an election they believe was owed to them. They put attacking the president ahead of legislating and trying to better America. Hopefully, all sane voters turn the House red again in 2020.

You think the Democrats are looking to overturn the election results? And do what - make Clinton the President after 2 1/2 years?

You're better than that. That's just patently absurd.

You think the Democrats are looking to overturn the election results? And do what - make Clinton the President after 2 1/2 years?

You're better than that. That's just patently absurd.

They want to remove a president from office abusing congressional powers because they lost an election in 2016. Never before in US history has such hate and vitriol been seen by a political party (Democrats) towards a sitting president. The Republicans didn't like Obama, and sure they did things to hamper his presidency but not to the same level of blind hatred and vitriol that we see from a self-righteous Democrat party. I think since the whole Russian hoax fell through their next power play is obtain tax documents, find some business dealing Trump had in some country and apply that to some "ethical conflict of interest" he must have as president and go after that. I think it could also be a self defense mechanism in the event that the DOJ uncovers corruption or finds improper handling of the collusion investigation or ties to Democrat misconduct/bias fueling government actions to point the finger at Trump over some financial misdeed.

So that we can have 8 more Benghazi Investigations?

Congress has had people testify under oath that the president has done illegal financial shenanigans and there are valid arguments that he is violating the emoluments clause as well as numerous other issues here. I'm not saying that congress should drop all responsibilities except investigating, but that's why we have more than 1 committee in the house, so that they can hopefully walk and chew gum at the same time. So arguments like "they should legislate instead of investigate" are just nonsense when you acknowledge the fact that both of these jobs are part of the house's responsibility.

If voters are indeed sane, Dems will take the WH and flip the Senate in 2020. Trump and his enabling GOP gotta go.

even if they get the records...what are the chances IRS hasn't been up Trumps ass for years? Obama never liked him....remember? had 8 years to look up his skirt.)

sets a bad precedence GOP will use it one day ...stupid begets stupid

even if they get the records...what are the chances IRS hasn't been up Trumps ass for years? Obama never liked him....remember? had 8 years to look up his skirt.)

Just wait till the Dems use Trumps "national emergency" precedence.

What goes around comes around.

If the democrats elect someone who won't release their taxes, won't release financial information, won't divest from their companies and actively brings in money from foreign services while serving as POTUS, the Repubs damn well better investigate his/her ass. And you'd be screaming for it as well.

Edit: Heres a link to the judges opinion.
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6019022/20-19-Opinion-House-v-Trump.pdf

I applaud it just for the sake of the courts ruling in favor of maintaining our system of checks and balances.

There may be some Democrats doing this, but my read on the situation is that a lot of people are genuinely concerned about Russian interference, especially with Trump's poor choice of meeting Putin so close to election time. You call it weaponizing, but some would call it a thorough investigation. The price of freedom and democracy is eternal vigilance. I would rather us go overboard and find nothing than not do enough and let a fatal error through the system.

The part in bold is kind of laughable. I vote independent so I don't have a horse in the D/R race, but if you think an R vote would be sane voting at this point, I don't know what to tell you.

If the democrats elect someone who won't release their taxes, won't release financial information, won't divest from their companies and actively brings in money from foreign services while serving as POTUS, the Repubs damn well better investigate his/her ass. And you'd be screaming for it as well.

go for it....you really think with all the spying that was going on pre election Trumps Taxes and his Tax Accountants were't all under surveillance?

...to overturn an election they believe was owed to them.

This seems like a straw man.

What if their reason for doing what they are doing were different?
Would you feel differently about the situation?

go for it....you really think with all the spying that was going on pre election Trumps Taxes and his Tax Accountants were't all under surveillance?
Evidence is stronger than my mere assumptions.

It doesn't seem to matter very much what my assumptions are about who was investigated when.
I'd rather go with evidence than the fact that I think something is so.

Are my assumptions actually a compelling argument to you?

Not sure. They very likely were subpoenaed by Mueller and he handed them off to investigators in the FBI if he saw anything funny. I'm not saying anything illegal was done, but that doesn't mean that when congress gets information that illegal things were done that they shouldn't be able to investigate.

It remains to be seen where this will end up. However, one thing is certain, the next Dem who sits in the White House will be buried in accusations, etc..

Sad our country has devolved politically to reach that point.

As the executive, & legislative are presently polarized it is up to the judicial branch to either fast or slow track
Will be interesting as from what little I know the majority of Congressional subpoenas when in the courts can take years

Now how the judiciary branch rules on these subpoenas will be quite interesting

what are the chances IRS hasn't been up Trumps ass for years?

What are the chances?

Are the chances quantifiable?
Or is it more just a feeling you sometimes have in your gut?
qxOc1ug.jpg

Not sure. They very likely were subpoenaed by Mueller and he handed them off to investigators in the FBI if he saw anything funny. I'm not saying anything illegal was done, but that doesn't mean that when congress gets information that illegal things were done that they shouldn't be able to investigate.

Cohn went to jail for lying on a credit Application....why wouldn't Mueller have filed charges if Trump lied on a credit application? or some other financial crime involving RUSSIA transactions?

Cohn went to jail for lying on a credit Application....why wouldn't Mueller have filed charges if Trump lied on a credit application? or some other financial crime involving RUSSIA transactions?
iirc, DoJ policy is not to charge a sitting president

Could that policy have been relevant?

idk
:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom