• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge orders restoration of DACA, opening immigration program to new applicants for first time since 2

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
A federal judge on Friday ordered the Trump administration to fully restore an Obama-era initiative that protects undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children from deportation, requiring officials to open the program to new applicants for the first time since 2017.

Judge Nicholas Garaufis of the U.S. District Court in Brooklyn instructed the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to post a public notice by Monday that states the department will accept and adjudicate Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) petitions from immigrants who qualify for the program but are not currently enrolled in it.

Garaufis also instructed officials to grant approved applicants work permits that last for two years, instead of the one-year period proposed by the Trump administration over the summer.

First Sidney Powell's federal law suit gets tossed-out of court, and now this. For Mr. Trump, it seems when it rains - it pours.

damn. i didn't know it had been THAT long.

:cool:

While I agree with the effect of the order I think it is improper for a judge to decide what is an executive or legislative matter, without citing a constitutional violation.

While I agree with the effect of the order I think it is improper for a judge to decide what is an executive or legislative matter, without citing a constitutional violation.
Fair enough. Soon to be moot, I expect.

Bill Clinton appointee!
Really.

Y'think it matters?

First Sidney Powell's federal law suit gets tossed-out of court, and now this. For Mr. Trump, it seems when it rains - it pours.

It's pretty amazing how powerful the courts think they are.

Well, as long as we go along with them pretending to be Congress and the President all rolled into one, I guess it's more than "think".

Well, as long as we go along with them pretending to be Congress and the President all rolled into one, I guess it's more than "think".
Not true, at all.

Well, when a court decides that one President's executive order cannot be overridden by another President's executive order, it's hard to think of it any other way.

Well, when a court decides that one President's executive order cannot be overridden by another President's executive order, it's hard to think of it any other way.
Then you're lacking in understanding of the three branches of government..

Andy Jackson had the right idea.

The liberal judges ruling will just get challenged in another court. One liberal doesn't need to be making rulings about EO's that are unlawful and over reach the power of the executive office. It will eventually wind up in the Supreme Court again and now with a 5-4 majority, ( I don't consider John Roberts a conservative) DACA will get overturned. Illegal immigration needs to be controlled according to immigration law and not by an illegal EO that even Barrack Obama is on record as saying he didn't have the power to grant the DACA exemptions.
The answer is not in DACA, it's in Congress doing it's job and taking action on immigration laws. Neither Democrats nor Republicans have the willingness to deal with it because its a political football. Both parties had opportunities to rewrite immigration law while having control of the House, Senate and White House and did nothing.

Then you're lacking in understanding of the three branches of government..

I understand it just fine. You do understand, I assume, that there is a range of opinion about the proper role of our courts. Of course you do.

The liberal judges ruling will just get challenged in another court. One liberal doesn't need to be making rulings about EO's that are unlawful and over reach the power of the executive office. It will eventually wind up in the Supreme Court again and now with a 5-4 majority, ( I don't consider John Roberts a conservative) DACA will get overturned. Illegal immigration needs to be controlled according to immigration law and not by an illegal EO that even Barrack Obama is on record as saying he didn't have the power to grant the DACA exemptions.
The answer is not in DACA, it's in Congress doing it's job and taking action on immigration laws. Neither Democrats nor Republicans have the willingness to deal with it because its a political football. Both parties had opportunities to rewrite immigration law while having control of the House, Senate and White House and did nothing.

Dems will do something about it if they win the Senate, and, therein lies the problem.

Now that ACB is on the court it needs to go back to court.

I don’t know how DACA can be considered legal at all. Because the INA specifies how many residency visas are allowed per year and the number of DACA recipients, who are basically receiving a green card in all but name, is well in excess of that number. This whole thing is a clear example of why I feel we are operating on a secret left wing constitution and the 1787 constitution is all but dead.

i'm glad that deporting people to countries that they never even remember being in is over for a while. that would be pointless cruelty.

i'm glad that deporting people to countries that they never even remember being in is over for a while. that would be pointless cruelty.
We had a similar situation here.

It wouldn’t be pointless at all. It would send the message no one is so sympathetic they’re exempt from the law while eliminating a moral hazard that encourages illegal immigration with children then encourages a game of hide and seek.

It wouldn’t be pointless at all. It would send the message no one is so sympathetic they’re exempt from the law while eliminating a moral hazard that encourages illegal immigration with children then encourages a game of hide and seek.
See, there's the 'law' and then there's doing what's right. A law may be technically 'correct' but we are after all humans, and being human comes with moral principles. We ignore them at our peril.

See, there's the 'law' and then there's doing what's right. A law may be technically 'correct' but we are after all humans, and being human comes with moral principles. We ignore them at our peril.

The law banning non-citizens from entering and remaining in the United States without permission is morally right. Making exemptions for people based on subjective sympathy is morally wrong.

Compassion is the wrong base for public policy.

Illegal immigration is a significant cost to the US economy, it’s creating many social problems, and it’s being encouraged by one political party as a pretext to import voters. You can believe that if legalized aliens voted Republican there would be a wall visible from space.

Back
Top Bottom