• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge Chides Durham Team for Putting Extraneous ‘Information’ in Court Documents: ‘You Folks Have an Audience of One, and That’s Me’

BlueTex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
As predicted, Judge Cooper saw right through Durham's bullshit and called him out...

Suggesting that special counsel John Durham may be playing to the press, a federal judge overseeing his case against a Democratic Party-tied lawyer warned prosecutors and defense attorneys to be “mindful” that their filings focus on issues that matter to the court.

“Until we swear a jury in this case, you folks have an audience of one, and that’s me,” U.S. District Judge Christoper Cooper told prosecutors and attorneys for former Hillary Clinton campaign lawyer Michael Sussmann at a hearing Thursday.

Tasked with investigating the origins of the FBI’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, Durham accused Sussmann of lying about whether he was representing a client when he spoke to the FBI about the Trump Organization’s ties to Alfa Bank. Durham wrote in a recent filing that an attorney linked to Clinton’s campaign “exploited” data from Trump Tower and the Executive Office of the President to impugn Trump. Certain pro-Trump outlets characterized those allegations as “spying,” a claim that Durham never made. The data in question was from the public domain and collected before Trump’s tenure in office.

Judge Cooper nodded to the controversy in court on Thursday.

“I know that lawyers sometimes include things under the guise of educating the judge, I certainly did that when I was in your shoes, and I think that’s fair game. But … your pleadings in this case are under a microscope and may be employed for one reason or another by folks that have nothing to do with the ultimate question in this case. So just be mindful of that as we go forward.”

----

“Both sides agreed to the inquiry that the government has requested,” said Cooper, a Barack Obama appointee. “I understand there’s a need for a factual record, but that factual record could have been a consent motion agreed to by both sides, [and we] could have done it in 20 mins in a status conference.”

As to the information that Sussmann said Durham “provocatively—and misleadingly” included, Cooper indicated that he would have little patience for it going forward.

“I don’t know why the information is in there,” Cooper said. “I extend a presumption of good faith to all counsel, particularly government counsel. I don’t ascribe any ill motives … for that and other reasons I’m not going to strike anything from the record.”

“Striking it will not unring the bell,” Cooper added. “It will probably make the bell sound even louder.”

Last edited:
Good for him but, if it even makes Fox news, it won't matter one bit. They are locked into their " spying" narrative.

Back
Top Bottom