• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jishin (Earthquake) Activity

medi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think I am finally starting to get paranoid and it has been quite a while since I have had shake concerns. Just happened to be awake just now and another shake; but it is true, not a bad one.

Just that from the Chiba prefectural area up to Fukushima we have been starting to have some 'interesting' activity. Even one yesterday [JMA] in eastern Kanagawa Prefecture, where I haven't seen/felt a shake in I don't remember how long.

NHK had some sort of scientists offering that the Chiba area activity is a tad bit of some concern and be aware of a possible strong one and so on.

I suppose it was in 2011 when I last was into a paranoid state about shakes along the eastern stretch of Japan. Seems the scientists are referring to something they label as one plate slipping under another, or something like that. "plate" - - - interesting vocabulary - - - could put a mighty big hamburger on that size plate - - - call it the Pacific Burger.

And these scientist folks are always guessing about this stuff. So many years ago I had a cat that knew a shake was coming about a minute or two before the shake started. Strangely, too, that was in the ROK where we had so very few. But, then I had another cat here in Japan about twenty something years ago and that cat never had a clue before a shake.

But you folks in the mid U.S. just had a nasty time with Mother Nature and the twisty wind thing, didn't you? I remember those scares when my pa was stationed in Kansas. Used to go down into a little hole under the house and just wait. Don't think one ever actually hit that house.

Oh well, Spaceship Earth still allows us passengers a not-too-bad passage through the Universe. Well, not "thru" - - - traveling in circles, aren't we? Have no choice, eh? Gotta stay near the huge campfire in the center.

I was in Tokyo for the 6.9 Fukushima earthquake back in late 2016. Quite a memorable experience, definitely woke us out of bed. We were panicked, the locals definitely were not.

Living in the Bay Area, we stock up under the assumption that we will be without food, water or shelter for a week due to a large earthquake.

Not meaning to come across as some kind of super cool, but I suppose my aviation training forced on me by military duty (draft) - - - I think the aviation training has been good to keep me from going into panic mode in all manner of weird events. And I most definitely stay stocked up on emergency stuff; in fact, way too much sometimes. Have had to toss some food that I forgot was stashed in a forgotten location. But when I saw what happened at this residence, where I now am spending most of my time, during that 2011 shake --- well, if we have a 6+ in this area out in western Tokyo-to (using the Japanese scale for that 6+) --- if that happens here I don't think this residence will remain standing. And I doubt the residence up in the hills where my wife resides would handle it much better. A 5 or lower might be okay for surviving, as I have a serious metal bar system in this residence to keep sections of the house from collapsing, and keeping all manner of cabinets and stuff from moving. And here I'm in a semi-valley between two ridgelines, so I suspect this is geologically not so bad for any 5 or lower strength right here. And I do not believe in the mad dash for going outside, either. I think I am too old to be able to dodge a telephone pole coming down. And my spine is a horrid mess, so I can't move so well, anymore. So I'd just have to ride one out, if it hits.

Not so sure about my daughter's residence and how it would stand up to a 6+. But I think she learned well enough from my wife and I to be stocked up for emergency stuff.

The Bay Area, eh? That isn't so great, either; for the earthquake threat, I mean. Thing about California, though, is you seem to get bad ones without much warning. Although we don't know each other, I'd still have hopes you and loved ones would survive any bad ones that might hit your AO. Maybe even get lucky enough not to get injured. In fact, that latter is also a biggie in this sort of situation.

I'm not so sure I could remember any of that first aid and above training we received so many years ago when on active duty. I do remember the number one issue, though; stop the bleeding. No matter what, stop the bleeding.

During my relapse time at that big hospital we had a pretty good shake that even had some of the nursing staff at the nurse's station sort of looking around in a tad surprising sort of oddness on their faces --- not sure "panic" to describe that would be polite. But one of them spotted me in a sort of complacent mode --- I was not concerned about the building, I guess --- anyway, she was a tad not happy that I was just standing there just checking it out. Of course, I wasn't even supposed to be up, but they had gotten used to my rebellious ways. But when I got my three-day leave from the hospital, this residence only had a few dishes busted and stuff.

Oh yes, and that 2011 shake put a nasty crack in the concrete wall of my ofuro room here and I still haven't gotten that fixed. We had so many shakes during that year that it seemed stupid to try and fix that right away. And then I guess I just got used to it.

Sometimes I worry about the combination of a bad typhoon and a bad shake. I have a tent and stuff for living outdoors, if the need arises, but in a typhoon that might be a bit tough. I've even planned exactly where to set up my tent if the need arises and to do it quickly before that park gets full of other people. It is about halfway up the south ridgeline and does have a decent road connecting to it, so good for getting emergency supplies, if that need arises. But getting to an outdoor area first, or early, is a biggie in a bad situation.

Do you have an outdoor area planned out in an emergency, phoenix2020? In fact, that is a valid question for anyone to consider. I mean, anyone reading this post. Even though it is another way too long post I have a bad habit of doing.

Not meaning to come across as some kind of super cool, but I suppose my aviation training forced on me by military duty (draft) - - - I think the aviation training has been good to keep me from going into panic mode in all manner of weird events. And I most definitely stay stocked up on emergency stuff; in fact, way too much sometimes. Have had to toss some food that I forgot was stashed in a forgotten location. But when I saw what happened at this residence, where I now am spending most of my time, during that 2011 shake --- well, if we have a 6+ in this area out in western Tokyo-to (using the Japanese scale for that 6+) --- if that happens here I don't think this residence will remain standing. And I doubt the residence up in the hills where my wife resides would handle it much better. A 5 or lower might be okay for surviving, as I have a serious metal bar system in this residence to keep sections of the house from collapsing, and keeping all manner of cabinets and stuff from moving. And here I'm in a semi-valley between two ridgelines, so I suspect this is geologically not so bad for any 5 or lower strength right here. And I do not believe in the mad dash for going outside, either. I think I am too old to be able to dodge a telephone pole coming down. And my spine is a horrid mess, so I can't move so well, anymore. So I'd just have to ride one out, if it hits.

Not so sure about my daughter's residence and how it would stand up to a 6+. But I think she learned well enough from my wife and I to be stocked up for emergency stuff.

The Bay Area, eh? That isn't so great, either; for the earthquake threat, I mean. Thing about California, though, is you seem to get bad ones without much warning. Although we don't know each other, I'd still have hopes you and loved ones would survive any bad ones that might hit your AO. Maybe even get lucky enough not to get injured. In fact, that latter is also a biggie in this sort of situation.

I'm not so sure I could remember any of that first aid and above training we received so many years ago when on active duty. I do remember the number one issue, though; stop the bleeding. No matter what, stop the bleeding.

During my relapse time at that big hospital we had a pretty good shake that even had some of the nursing staff at the nurse's station sort of looking around in a tad surprising sort of oddness on their faces --- not sure "panic" to describe that would be polite. But one of them spotted me in a sort of complacent mode --- I was not concerned about the building, I guess --- anyway, she was a tad not happy that I was just standing there just checking it out. Of course, I wasn't even supposed to be up, but they had gotten used to my rebellious ways. But when I got my three-day leave from the hospital, this residence only had a few dishes busted and stuff.

Do you have an outdoor area planned out in an emergency, phoenix2020? In fact, that is a valid question for anyone to consider. I mean, anyone reading this post. Even though it is another way too long post I have a bad habit of doing.
Yes, we have two nearby outdoor areas, one walking distance and one 15 miles drive but out of range of urban fire threats, as well as our own land about two hours away, but accessibility may be unknown depending on road and highway conditions. We also help lead / coordinate with our local CERT groups including participating in drills at the community level and also with the city. Radios, incident command, etc. so in an actual emergency I imagine first tending to family to ensure they are safe, then heading back to the community to help. That said, I tend to be over-indexed on this stuff; most of the community is woefully unprepared for a 7+ event with most households lacking more than ~2-3 days supply of drinking water!

I am mostly worried about escaping fire threats in a serious emergency.

It would be interesting to compare notes and share advice on preparedness, however in my experience there tends to be few practical consistent rules of thumb give everybody’s vastly different living circumstances. For example, we can all agree on maintaining a healthy supply of drinking water. However, how this is actually achieved (including practical necessities such as rotating / testing supplies, sanitizing, etc.) can vary wildly depending on whether one lives in an apartment complex, single family home, home on a large lot or ranch etc. it can also vary depending on state, income, etc.

You've nailed that "practical consistent rules" one.

On that fire threat one, the key in my view is having some sort of "get super wet" style right away as you move through a possible fire hazard zone AND have some sort of water bag to use for each person to try and stay wet. That is the only answer I have ever been able to come up with. But have never researched any professional views on that.

Some years ago in Osaka they had bad trouble with a fire causing serious trouble. I've got a creek about 100 or so meters just to the south of here and that would be my haven if that need arose and I used to keep a quality mask around here until covid hit and now I have too many of the little masks and they would be okay for less then heavy smoke trouble.

And that is another point, besides the 'stay wet' thing --- smoke trouble. You should have masks of some sort. If you need to go more than about 100 plus meters to a reasonably safe location, then you'll need quality masks. As I am typing I must confess I don't remember where my first "quality" mask is located. I think I remember it is a plastic style that seals rather well to the skin surface around mouth and nose. But even that is only good for a short time. And there is the eye protection trouble in a smoke situation. I have some goggles around here, too; but I don't remember where those are now, either. That is sort of stupid of me, isn't it? But I think they are in the tools storage area just outside my north exit. I should check that after posting this.

Of course, immediate exit of a fire hazard is the wet towels thing. Big wet towel that can quickly be tied in the back to keep hands free is important. I usually keep this plastic bath type thing full of water all the time for just that sort of thing. With a big towel close by. That's been a habit for years. Lucky I've never had to test it. Practiced a few times when I was more fit. Now I don't move too well, so if I can still pull off an emergency exit is questionable. But I also keep a number of small to middle sized extinguishers around here. But deciding to try and use one can be an iffy decision. I only once had to use one in an emergency and that was in the ROK and my dog woke us up to have me be able to use it quick enough to snuff the fire. Quiet frankly, Rimshot (my dog) saved our lives.

Wait, I was in a bad fire once and all we could do was get everyone out. It was my going away party, too. That was also the ROK. That was a bad, bad thing. I met the house owner some years later and she informed me the court had jailed her for a bit. Our First Shirt had protected me and gotten me out of the village where that happened just outside the post/airfield.

And, yes, this thread could be good for exchanging ideas on emergency things to do or be prepared for. That is a very good idea.

By the way, I also keep a construction worker's headgear hanging right behind this work station. Bright yellow, too. Easy to see in a crowded environment, if you need to keep an eye on loved ones. That is another certainty I have had for years.

The trouble, though, is knowing when to actually grab it. We have had so many shakes here that grabbing it every time seems a bit much. I did grab it a few times back in 2011, though.

By the way, one of the safest places in any type residence is the toilet room for maybe two people, or the shower room for three or four. Because of water storage being heavy and construction having that in consideration those two rooms are rather stout. I can't say as I have ever gone for that standing in a doorway idea. Maybe in a severe shake when there is no time. IF you can actually move. Sometimes I have read that folks in a severe shake couldn't actually move. I've not experienced that. Maybe we have a member here who can help us on that one.

Yep, exchanging information can save lives. Very good idea!

I suspect a whole bunch of folks in downtown Tokyo just had a scare. Way out west of them it was still strong enough to give pause to any activity one might have been engaged in. And wasn't Chiba centered, either. But the southern Ibaraki area has been a constant area of shakes for at least a year or so and not a surprise it was centered there:

Occurrence at (JST)
09:08 JST 21 Mar. 2024
Region name
Southern Ibaraki Prefecture
Depth
50km
Magnitude
M5.3

Good thing it was 50km deep.

Yep, that was one good shake. And lasted a bit, too. Not a quick one.

They changed it to 46km deep, and I didn't realize at first from the JMA site it was listed as a 5minus in two locations.

Jishin240321a.jpg

And here is a bit from the NHK folks and using the Google software for translation:

Expert: “Beware of earthquakes of similar magnitude over the next few days”

Regarding this earthquake, Nao Hirata, chairman of the government's Earthquake Investigation Committee and professor emeritus at the University of Tokyo, said, ``In the southern Kanto region, including the southern part of Ibaraki Prefecture, where the epicenter was, earthquakes with shaking with a seismic intensity of about 5 lower occur frequently. For the next few days, especially the next few days, please be careful of earthquakes of similar magnitude, and refer to information from the Japan Meteorological Agency regarding the status of seismic activity. I would like you to move to a safe place as there is a risk that you may be affected."

The Japan Meteorological Agency updated the depth of the epicenter from 50 km to 46 km as a result of detailed analysis of the observation data of the earthquake that was observed in Tochigi and Saitama prefectures with a seismic intensity of lower 5.

Mother Nature is at it again with a morning shake and this time it is Gifu Prefecture, which could be described as central area of Honshu Island, which some say is the "main" island. Maybe a bit in the western part of the central area. [Wonderfully confusing map instructions, eh?)

Anyway, this one was about 0830hrs --- just 20 or so minutes ago JST --- and the key on this one is that even though it was only a 4.7 in strength, it was 10km shallow. That not so pleasant one I logged above in southern Ibaraki Prefecture was 50km deep.

So far, NHK maps it like this:

Jishin240323a.jpg

By the way, the strength and depth (shallowness) could be adjusted later. But a strength of '4' as you see in that one location is no fun at all. Nor is a '3' or even a '2'.

Sure is a lot of shaking going on as of late, and I ain't referring to no dancing of humans. Dancing of giants bigger than Japan's Godzilla --- maybe more like bunches of Godzillas all jumping up and down.

I did the appropriate site search and did not see any post/thread about this, but if I erred I'll edit this post and add the link to the post/thread where I missed it was noted by another member.

And what I am referring to is this:

Jishin240324a1-distant.jpg

And when I checked for any reports about people hurt or damage or tsunami, I ran into an oddity:

Jishin240324a2-reports.jpg

The Canberra Times is reporting the depth at 65km, which is a significant difference from the USGS. And below the Cnaberra Times copy I'll provide the USGS link and their reporting is an 11km depth and a 5.2 magnitude. You can see that the Canberra Times is listed at 1300hrs JST at two hours ago and the USGS at 39 minutes ago, so both are not so long ago.

An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 has struck a remote part of northern Papua New Guinea, the German Research Centre for Geosciences says.

The quake on Sunday was at a depth of 65km. The quake was initially reported as being at a shallower 10km.

The US Geological Survey said the epicentre was about 30km east-northeast of the small settlement of Ambunti in East Sepik province.

Australia's Bureau of Meteorology said there was no tsunami threat to Australia from the quake.

Unfortunately it seems that most other major media reporting is still from the original reports of about 7 hours ago, so details on damage and such I haven't yet found.

But the significant varying of reports and that change from an initial 7.0 magnitude to 5.2 might indicate something odd about this shake. And "odd" makes me nervous. I hope that isn't an indication of further seismic activity in that area.

AND, phoenix2020, I made a very careless (stupid) mistake in one of my posts above when I was offering ideas on safety issues related to possible disasters and such. In fact, this one is not just for disaster situations. This could be important for many things, like a criminal activity that is spotted, or even committed upon your own person. A simple little device --- a whistle --- can be very important. I carry one on my primary key ring.

I do not mean some cheap style whistle. I mean a high quality and somewhat small one. In a bad situation, possibly a criminal act, that is the fastest way to grab attention to a bad situation. In a disaster, if you are buried under rubble, it is a good way to let people know you are there. Even if you are hurt and can't really yell so loud, a whistle can be useful.

It was very, very stupid of me to leave that off my list up above someplace.

Last edited:
An update:

There are casualties reported and homes destroyed,

Using Aljazeera that seems to be a 12-hour old update; 0750hrs JST.

Just a part of the article below:

“Sadly we have several casualties already,” he said, adding that authorities were “still assessing the impact” but about 1,000 homes had so far been “lost”.

Early reports put the death toll to at least three, while provincial police commander Christopher Tamari told the AFP news agency on Monday that at least five deaths had been recorded and warned the number could be higher as rescue efforts continued.

Dozens of villages located on the banks of the country’s Sepik River were already battling widespread flooding from earlier in March when the quake struck.

A quick paste from the media:

Taiwan's meteorological authorities announced that there was an earthquake off the eastern coast of Taiwan at around 8:58 a.m. Japan time on the 3rd.

According to observations by Taiwan's Central Weather Station, the epicenter was estimated to be approximately 25 kilometers off the coast of Hualien County in eastern Taiwan, with a depth of approximately 15 kilometers and a magnitude of 7.2.

A tsunami in many directions is a very real danger, but a bit early for reliable information.

Images of buildings heavily damaged in Taiwan are already showing up on news sites.

Key is it seems it was only 15km deep.

Definite trouble on this one. Bummer!

And we have another thread on the Taiwan shake, so let me place a link here to that:

Another related event was yesterday morning here in Japan. A nasty shake up north, but only a lower5 in a few locations. Was in Aomori Prefecture. Well, using "only" isn't so polite to those up there that had to deal with that. That can certainly empty some shelf items and such. Doesn't usually bring down buildings, these days in Japan. Maybe old farm/orchard shacks. That's apple country up there.

Jishin240402a.jpg EDIT: Guess it was Iwate, but Aomori is just north.

I got into some trouble with somebody for not only screwing up my geography in the post above, but for also downplaying the scope of the 5minus locations where that earthquake hit up north (of my location) on the morning of the 2nd in Iwate Prefecture. So a new map will show all the locations of the 5minus readings and also that blue arrow shows you the coastline border (roughly) between Iwate Prefecture and Aomori Prefecture; Aomori being to the north. I hope my correction with this map will be approved by the "somebody".

Jishin240402b.jpg

I suppose that is also a good illustration of the 'reach' of a tremor, even one that is 80km deep. I mean, you can see shake level 3 in very distant locations, and a 3 isn't exactly a comfortable feeling shake.

I was going to do a post here after the shake information about the one off the northeast coast of Hokkaido was shown by JMA this morning, listed as off the southeast coast of Etorufu Island, but I thought that would be posting too much here. Now I wish I had.

We just had this one:

Jishin240404b.jpg

And look at this list from just the last few hours:

Jishin240404a.jpg

I'm getting mighty nervous that we have something really not good happening. That is just too much activity, even for this part of the planet. And I am going back days, not just the last few hours. Well, four plus hours.

Oh yes, Amami-Oshima Island is not that far southeast of Tokyo.

Back
Top Bottom