• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

James Carville: Dems a party of 'preachy females', message too feminine

multivita-man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

In a freewheeling conversation with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, longtime Democratic strategist James Carville suggested that the party's struggles with male voters are driven by "preachy females" who aren't speaking to their concerns.

"A suspicion of mine is that there are too many preachy females" influencing the party's direction, Carville told Dowd.

"'Don't drink beer. Don't watch football. Don't eat hamburgers. This is not good for you,'" he said, describing a sort of condescension he believes has turned away some male voters from the Democratic Party.

Thoughts?

Carville is past his prime.

We are going to need to strike a new balance that does not rely on people wanting women to be "in the kitchen". I hope it doesn't take several generations to accomplish this.

Carville’s from the era when the fax machine was the epitome of technology.

Figuratively and literally.

I’m not at all surprised by his quote. He’s 79.

Generational disconnect.

I tend to think you're correct. If there's a disconnect among people of color, I suspect it's economics that's driving it. To the extent that messaging and social issues are factors, maybe there's a perception that there's more attention being paid to some 'unimportant' things at the expense of economic focus. People tend to care less about messaging when they feel like they and their communities are doing okay economically and otherwise.

It is all part of the mass psychosis to equalize the sexes. To insist on pretending that men and women are the same.
To the point today - insisting they are even interchangeable.
We can see a large subgroup of humans that act the way they do in America. And this phenomena is ONLY found in America.
Beginning in the early 1960s liberal cities began massing blacks together in large "projects". Giving them just enough money to survive without having to get a job.
And with that was the fact they gave more money to females who had children without a man in the house. And with each fatherless child, more money.
If she married, she would lose that money. They were strongly being encouraged NOT to marry.
So, today, over 70% of black children are, essentially, fatherless. And the result of children raised without fathers gives us a culture centered around crime, addictions and anti-social.
What the hell does this have to do with the OP?
Man and woman are not the same.
If in the 1960s, the roles were reversed. Money only went to the males, and they would only receive the money if they had children in the home, and were not married. Who knows what would have been the result. Probably worse than what black inner city culture is today.

The point is, a well ran society needs the uniqueness of BOTH.
Men and women are very different. Everyone knows it, no matter how hard they try to pretend it isn't true.
We need masculinity, and we need femininity to balance a society. Without it, chaos results.

And right now, yes. The message is too feminine. To emotionally based.

I tend to think you're correct. If there's a disconnect among people of color, I suspect it's economics that's driving it. To the extent that messaging and social issues are factors, maybe there's a perception that there's more attention being paid to some 'unimportant' things at the expense of economic focus. People tend to care less about messaging when they feel like they and their communities are doing okay economically and otherwise.
Carville is an old man with old man ideals and an old man’s perspective.

He was a brilliant political strategist in that he knew how to organize and run campaigns - in the 90’s.

It isn’t the 90’s anymore.

It is all part of the mass psychosis to equalize the sexes. To insist on pretending that men and women are the same.
We can see a large subgroup of humans that act the way they do in America. And this phenomena is ONLY found in America.
Beginning in the early 1960s liberal cities began massing blacks together in large "projects". Giving them just enough money to survive without having to get a job.
And with that was the fact they gave more money to females who had children without a man in the house. And with each fatherless child, more money.
If she married, she would lose that money. They were strongly being encouraged NOT to marry.
So, today, over 70% of black children are, essentially, fatherless. And the result of children raised without fathers gives us a culture centered around crime, addictions and anti-social.
If in the 1960s, the roles were reversed. Money only went to the males, and they would only receive the money if they had children in the home, and were not married. Who knows what would have been the result. Probably worse than what black inner city culture is today.

Men and women are very different. Everyone knows it, no matter how hard they try to pretend it isn't true.
We need masculinity, and we need femininity to balance a society. Without it, chaos results.

Misogyny AND racism all wrapped up nicely in one post.

Thoughts?

People are put off by Karens, but, more so when they already disagree with their premises. I'm uncertain how much of what he's describing could be better assigned to puritanical moral preening that moderates find off putting and/or ridiculous.

Men who think they're NOT motivated by emotion, actually are. Except the emotions are probably selfishness and division.

Misogyny AND racism all wrapped up nicely in one post.
Exactly how I thought you would reply. No content, just vehemence and blame.
Men and women are equal in a sense we are both UNIQUELY important for a well balanced society.
Therefore, we should have the same rights. Neither is better than the other. Both are important. Both add value.
Intellectually, we ARE the same. Emotionally, and how we approach problems, are NOT the same.
It is a balance of two differences that bring harmony.
Go too far either way, and a society is out of balance.
Too much male influence, and the result is a harsh society. Lack of empathy, hard driven.. Highly disciplined.
Too much female influence, and the result is a soft society, too much empathy. Lack of discipline, and a loss of structure.

That is the opposite of misogyny.
It is a recognition of the value of both. Equal, but different. And a society that embraces both, will result in harmony.
Too bad we haven't got it right yet.

Carville is an old man with old man ideals and an old man’s perspective.

He was a brilliant political strategist in that he knew how to organize and run campaigns - in the 90’s.

It isn’t the 90’s anymore.

One polling metric that keeps coming up, and one that I think grabs my attention, is the gap between voters w/ and w/o a college degree. As can be seen in the graph below, the gap between these voters was relatively minor or moderate. After 2007, it grows considerably. My hypothesis is that people without degrees lost wealth just like everyone else did, but unlike people with degrees, they weren't as resilient. I think the same is probably true of the post-pandemic situation.

The problem I see with the usual economic metrics - GDP, unemployment, etc... - is that they are now-metrics. They tend to report on what just happened last month or last quarter. They don't factor things like lost wealth that was never, ever recovered, which was the case after the Great Recession.

That's why when people are touting economic numbers that, on the surface, seem to support Bidenomics, I tend to push back. They're not telling the story about how it took nearly 2 1/2 years for wages to catch up to inflation - and that's not taking borrowing costs into account, which is important because if wages aren't keeping up with inflation, then households have to borrow, and borrowing is even more expensive than the inflation trap they're running away from.

gallup poll .png

When you see a man post like that, let me know.

What, you thought YOUR OWN POST was objective and rational?

I'm seeing multiple appeals to emotion there. Starting with "It is all part of the mass psychosis to equalize the sexes" and ending with "Too emotionally based."

One polling metric that keeps coming up, and one that I think grabs my attention, is the gap between voters w/ and w/o a college degree. As can be seen in the graph below, the gap between these voters was relatively minor or moderate. After 2007, it grows considerably. My hypothesis is that people without degrees lost wealth just like everyone else did, but unlike people with degrees, they weren't as resilient. I think the same is probably true of the post-pandemic situation.

The problem I see with the usual economic metrics - GDP, unemployment, etc... - is that they are now-metrics. They tend to report on what just happened last month or last quarter. They don't factor things like lost wealth that was never, ever recovered, which was the case after the Great Recession.

That's why when people are touting economic numbers that, on the surface, seem to support Bidenomics, I tend to push back. They're not telling the story about how it took nearly 2 1/2 years for wages to catch up to inflation - and that's not taking borrowing costs into account, which is important because if wages aren't keeping up with inflation, then households have to borrow, and borrowing is even more expensive than the inflation trap they're running away from.

View attachment 67500715
American society is reaching a point where a standard K-12 education is not sufficient for economic prosperity and security.

The trend has been moving that way for decades.

Our entire educational system is based off a world that no longer exists. And it wasn’t a great model to start with.

It needs to be reevaluated and changed.

But instead, we have a segment of society that demonizes educators, that demonizes education and educational pursuits, and that yearns to go back to a world where someone could graduate with a high school diploma and work in the local plant until they retired.

That world doesn’t exist anymore. It existed in an “artificial” bubble that is gone.

It’s time to accept that reality and adjust accordingly.

Thoughts?
I think he might have a point. Preachy and screechy come to my mind and there are a lot of them. They are often grandmother age. They are overly dramatic, and they think everyone should or even must agree with them. They find it impossible to believe other people have different views, vote differently. They try to shame people who don't agree and feel quite self-righteous in doing so. You can find examples of it here on this forum daily. Things like "Someone who would vote for Trump has no morals", "Anyone who would vote for Trump is despicable, just like him", "Own it", "You own him if you vote for him", and on and on and on.

American society is reaching a point where a standard K-12 education is not sufficient for economic prosperity and security.

The trend has been moving that way for decades.

Our entire educational system is based off a world that no longer exists. And it wasn’t a great model to start with.

It needs to be reevaluated and changed.

But instead, we have a segment of society that demonizes educators, that demonizes education and educational pursuits, and that yearns to go back to a world where someone could graduate with a high school diploma and work in the local plant until they retired.

That world doesn’t exist anymore. It existed in an “artificial” bubble that is gone.

It’s time to accept that reality and adjust accordingly.

All true, but there's always going to be economic stratification, even if we were to educate everyone. Here in the DC area, a bachelor's degree by itself is not all that much better than an associate's or diploma in terms of employability, and it's definitely a boundary of upward mobility in terms of promotions and salary.

I think the problem for Democrats is that whereas they used to be counted on as the party that could mitigate the effects of poverty by fighting for a social safety net that had real, tangible protections for people in poverty, we've had a generation of 'centrist' Dems waiving the white flag of surrender to the Reagan Revolution. As an example, when Obama wanted to add a public option for ACA, 'centrists' prevented it from happening. When Biden wanted to pass a more robust infrastructure bill, extend the earned income credit, and tax billionaires, Sinema and Manchin killed it.

The Democrats are viewed by a growing number of people as being too weak to fight for the causes they claim they're for.

I think he might have a point. Preachy and screechy come to my mind and there are a lot of them. They are often grandmother age. They are overly dramatic, and they think everyone should or even must agree with them. They find it impossible to believe other people have different views, vote differently. They try to shame people who don't agree and feel quite self-righteous in doing so. You can find examples of it here on this forum daily. Things like "Someone who would vote for Trump has no morals", "Anyone who would vote for Trump is despicable, just like him", "Own it", "You own him if you vote for him", and on and on and on.

I think the messaging 'problem' isn't really the problem. That gives Bill Maher some edgy material to work with maybe, but I don't think that's what's really driving some of the Democrats' traditional voting base away from the party. It's more like they've given up being courted and then not delivering.

Back
Top Bottom