• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jack Smith subpoenas Trump White House personnel aides as his team drills down on the firing of Chris Krebs...

I agree. This is knitting up the edges. My biggest concern, frankly, is that there will be only one indictment, and that one solid case is delayed by a more difficult charge on the other offense. All-in-all, though, I think there are solid cases for obstruction in both cases. It's also possible that Smith has been granted an expansion of his original remit.
I think there will definitely be multiple indictments on several fronts but I think indictments related to the documents case will be coming soon, those related to the 2020 election and perhaps Jan 6th later.

Yes.

Which needs some clarification.

Not all of it was wrong. They did some great investigation. But there were two fundamental frauds, from the political demand for it to investigate trump.

One is that it was prohibited from even recommending any criminal charges against trump no matter what it found. Second is that the areas of investigation were secretly very narrow.

Like the fraudulent Kavanaugh investigation, it was forced to happen at all, but designed to be a fraud, to be a false exoneration. Bill Barr helped ensure that by only issuing his misrepresentation of the report for several weeks.
I think you are overstating your case, my friend. While it is true that the investigation was initially limited, Mueller requested, and was granted, an expansion of his remit. But, we forget now how expansive even that limited investigation was. I have a copy of it. That Barr manipulated the outcome is beyond peradventure, but it was a legitimate, if limited, investigation and reached the results it was allowed to.

Maybe Jack will surprise us all and include those with the other indictments. That would be a hoot.
I seriously doubt that will happen. That would muddy the waters way too much and, as untrue as it might be, would add fuel to the fire of a witch hunt.

I seriously doubt that will happen. That would muddy the waters way too much and, as untrue as it might be, would add fuel to the fire of a witch hunt.
In our current climate, you are correct. But in reality, a crime is a crime. In the real world, Trump needs to pay for ALL his crimes.

I think you are overstating your case, my friend.

I don't think so.

While it is true that the investigation was initially limited, Mueller requested, and was granted, an expansion of his remit. But, we forget now how expansive even that limited investigation was. I have a copy of it. That Barr manipulated the outcome is beyond peradventure, but it was a legitimate, if limited, investigation and reached the results it was allowed to.

That's my point - "was allowed to". Whatever partial expansion happened - feel free to post specifics on what was expanded and what was still off-limits - the Republicans in DoJ who ran the investigation and set those limits conspired with trump to limit it. Remember Rosenstein promising trump a soft landing? For example, were trump's finances investigated at all, for any foreign money influence?

There is no 'fire' of a witch hunt; only a criminal screaming the words. It might not happen, but it should have nothing to do with trump screaming the words.

There is no 'fire' of a witch hunt; only a criminal screaming the words. It might not happen, but it should have nothing to do with trump screaming the words.
It's many more than Trump screaming which hunt. There is nothing to be gained by bundling obstruction while he was President with criminal acts committed post election/presidency. If Garland was going to go there he would have done it early on.

5 years for federal obstruction. Has to start when Trump left the WH. Still 2.5 years to go.
It seems like it should not be in effect while he was in office, but information I see suggests otherwise, making it at least a question. Many legal experts said the deadline was missed.

It's many more than Trump screaming which hunt. There is nothing to be gained by bundling obstruction while he was President with criminal acts committed post election/presidency. If Garland was going to go there he would have done it early on.
There's a view that DoJ likes to address all the crimes. My point was that their charging should not be affected by trump screaming witch hunt, one way or another.

I'm on record of May as indictment month, with one day to go, but this development probably spikes that. Soon, though. Very soon.
I remember people making that very same prediction back in 2017. You guys just dont learn.

It seems like it should not be in effect while he was in office, but information I see suggests otherwise, making it at least a question. Many legal experts said the deadline was missed.
It seems to me, if one can't indict a person while in office, then one starts the clock when the person is indictable. I would guess that those arguing the statute has passed are, you guessed it, Trump allies.

I remember people making that very same prediction back in 2017. You guys just dont learn.
And your side guaranteed us Trump would never be indicted. He's currently charged with 34 felonies by NY. Let's not get into predictions.

It seems to me, if one can't indict a person while in office, then one starts the clock when the person is indictable. I would guess that those arguing the statute has passed are, you guessed it, Trump allies.
We agree how it seems it should work; but no, they're more neutral experts, in mainstream reporting. Just google on 'Mueller obstruction charges statue of limitations' and see the reporting.

We agree how it seems it should work, but no, they're more neutral experts, in mainstream reporting. Just google on 'Mueller obstruction charges statue of limitations' and see the reporting.
You're probably right then. I hate to even say it, as I have respect for the AG, but Garland really dropped the ball on all of this since the insurrection. I am stumped as to why that happened.

And your side guaranteed us Trump would never be indicted. He's currently charged with 34 felonies by NY. Let's not get into predictions.
Even people on the left agree that this indictment by a hyper-partisan prosecutor is largely crap.

Even people on the left agree that this indictment by a hyper-partisan prosecutor is largely crap.
Be it crap or be it justified, it's still an indictment that Trump will have to answer to. The jury will decide.

Some do but just wait for the next three!

You're probably right then. I hate to even say it, as I have respect for the AG, but Garland really dropped the ball on all of this since the insurrection. I am stumped as to why that happened.
It's frustrating and reminds of when Obama and Holder let the Bush administration have no accountability. I think they're at least doing better this time with Jack Smith.

I tend to agree. From my time as a prosecutor: charge the easy case to prove and avoid complicated legal issues (like statutes of limitation) that can muddy the waters. Document cases are easy, and obstruction is fairly easy, given the evidence extant. The most you are going to get is a couple of decades in prison - and Trump is a geezer. No sense in overkill.

Mueller could have indicted on at least a 1/2 dozen obstruction charges. He said so in his report. But the DOJ says we can't indict a sitting president.

Maybe Jack will surprise us all and include those with the other indictments. That would be a hoot.
Statute of limitations would probably prevent that.

Except, you failed to note the coverage wasn't incorrect. The evidence was overwhelming and led to indictments and convictions. It explicitly did not exonerate Trump and laid out the facts. Commentators, including myself, noted the difficulty in bringing a case while Trump was President, because of a badly reasoned AG opinion and the corruption of Bill Barr.

Garland is not corrupt, and Jack Smith is not a partisan hack like Durham. The result should be different.
The coverage was, writ large, inaccurate. For example, most of what Rachel Maddow said would be in the the report -and in the way she said it would be in the report- was simply not true. What she got correct was who and what was in it, not how it was used in the report.

There are also not "ten points of obstruction"; there are two. "Mueller" (highly doubting that section was written by him because the style is so different) said that 8 of the 10 did not fit "his" criteria, leaving the firing of James Comey and the attempted firing of Mueller himself as the only points that satisfied "his" criteria for obstruction. Those that argued there were 10 did not read the report in its entirety.

There is a relevant federal statute: 18 USC 3282. It states that, "(e)xcept as otherwise expressly provided by law," a prosecution for a non-capital offense shall be instituted within five years after the offense was committed. I am not aware of anything specific to obstruction offenses. Nonetheless, there is the concept of "tolling". There are specific provisions that allow an extension, e.g., 18 U.S. Code § 3290 - Fugitives from justice, but I don't think any of them specifically apply. (Interestingly, one that could have, is 18 U.S. Code § 3292 - Suspension of limitations to permit United States to obtain foreign evidence, since some parts of the offenses occurred in foreign countries, but even that is limited to an additional 3 years.)

What is unique about this situation is that the reason for non-prosecution is a prudential one (an AG opinion), not a judicial one - no court has addressed the question. Although I think it would be appropriate to raise that Constitutional issue, I don't think that Jack Smith is likely to do so, since sufficient other crimes are available and easily proven.

The coverage was, writ large, inaccurate. For example, most of what Rachel Maddow said would be in the the report -and in the way she said it would be in the report- was simply not true. What she got correct was who and what was in it, not how it was used in the report.

There are also not "ten points of obstruction"; there are two. "Mueller" (highly doubting that section was written by him because the style is so different) said that 8 of the 10 did not fit "his" criteria, leaving the firing of James Comey and the attempted firing of Mueller himself as the only points that satisfied "his" criteria for obstruction. Those that argued there were 10 did not read the report in its entirety.
I completely disagree with both assertions, but I don't want to drag this off into the weeds of another subject. That's the goal of the trolls, and I so hate to accommodate them.

Back
Top Bottom