• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [5:15 am CDT] - in 15 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"It was just two women fed up with not being able to talk to their representative, and it’s a beautiful day, so we grabbed some chalk and took to the

minnie616

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
"It was just two women fed up with not being able to talk to their representative, and it’s a beautiful day, so we grabbed some chalk and took to the streets."

Jane never expected so many people to see the chalking she and her friend made on Saturday afternoon. She really only cared that one person did, and that was her Bangor, Maine, neighbor, Sen. Susan Collins.

And Collins most certainly saw it. So did countless others across the country, thanks to the Republican senator herself, who called the police over the polite chalk message and took the story of the colorful abortion rights message from her sidewalk to the national news cycle.

Read more :

: https://apple.news/Ab48deRJgQF-eQx4Diw0LZg

Collins was lucky that she was running against a real " mental case "during the last election or she would have been long gone.

Collins was lucky that she was running against a real " mental case "during the last election or she would have been long gone.
Apparently,
"Susan Collins hasn't held a town hall meeting for her constituents in over 20 years," Jane said. "When we email her, when we call her, all we ever get back is whatever form letter response she's sending out that week. We're sick of being ignored and dismissed and thought that we should try a more creative approach."

Apparently,
"Susan Collins hasn't held a town hall meeting for her constituents in over 20 years," Jane said. "When we email her, when we call her, all we ever get back is whatever form letter response she's sending out that week. We're sick of being ignored and dismissed and thought that we should try a more creative approach."

Collins is just another privileged Washington swamp dweller.

The police must get really tired of having to answer stupid calls like this.
It seems like calling the police is the first reaction of some people when simply talking to someone will do the trick.

I get the feeling that if I were to visit the US and just casually wander about sightseeing I'd get them called on me for being a stranger in town.
Ohhhhhh, the horror. I'm sitting in a car and having something to eat outside a closed business.

It's off to Gitmo for me then!!!

Stop bloody calling the police for stupid reasons, they have better things to do.

"It was just two women fed up with not being able to talk to their representative, and it’s a beautiful day, so we grabbed some chalk and took to the streets."

Jane never expected so many people to see the chalking she and her friend made on Saturday afternoon. She really only cared that one person did, and that was her Bangor, Maine, neighbor, Sen. Susan Collins.

And Collins most certainly saw it. So did countless others across the country, thanks to the Republican senator herself, who called the police over the polite chalk message and took the story of the colorful abortion rights message from her sidewalk to the national news cycle.

Read more :

I'm not going to pick sides but there ARE two ways to look at it.

You've provided one.

The other is that people, regardless of their position, should not be confronted at their homes, regardless of how "tame" the effort is.

You don't go to a Judge's home to scare/intimidate/convince/bribe them to see your side of the case.

You don't go to a government official's home seeking to scare/intimidate/convince/bribe them either.

The question anyone should ask BEFORE they decide to confront someone at their place of residence is...how would YOU like it if people were doing it to you?

I am sure some people are going to pretend that this would not be a problem for them. Writing things on their front sidewalk, picketing, chanting outside all day and night on bullhorns, etc.

Yet being confronted in any way for any reason at one's home is naturally very disturbing, perhaps frightening. Consider that this first act of "mere writing on the sidewalk" could be a prelude to worse as other's decide they should expand on this in their own intrusive ways.

Surely she should be forced to do some as that's her job.

Her judgement leaves a lot to be desired.

You've provided one.

The other is that people, regardless of their position, should not be confronted at their homes, regardless of how "tame" the effort is.

You don't go to a Judge's home to scare/intimidate/convince/bribe them to see your side of the case.

You don't go to a government official's home seeking to scare/intimidate/convince/bribe them either.

The question anyone should ask BEFORE they decide to confront someone at their place of residence is...how would YOU like it if people were doing it to you?

I am sure some people are going to pretend that this would not be a problem for them. Writing things on their front sidewalk, picketing, chanting outside all day and night on bullhorns, etc.

Yet being confronted in any way for any reason at one's home is naturally very disturbing, perhaps frightening. Consider that this first act of "mere writing on the sidewalk" could be a prelude to worse as other's decide they should expand on this in their own intrusive ways.
Actually, I thought sidewalks ( even if they are in front of a home ) were considered public property.
I thought when Rep. Collins Called the police she claimed the sidewalk artists had “ defaced public property.”

Actually, I thought sidewalks ( even if they are in front of a home ) were considered public property.

To walk on, play on, even perhaps allow kids to draw hopscotch on.

But if you "post a message" to someone in front of their home? That is a personal act of communication to a specific target as described in my response.

How's about someone came in front of your house and wrote something specific to get your attention? You honestly would not feel concerned?

I thought when Rep. Collins Called the police she claimed the sidewalk artists had “ defaced public property.”

Who cares what was written or how she reported it? Clearly the message was directed at her, as can be seen in the article you provided.

My point stands.

You've provided one.

Perhaps you can quote yourself on this board saying the same thing when anti-abortion protestors picketed the houses of health care workers?

Perhaps you can quote yourself on this board saying the same thing when anti-abortion protestors picketed the houses of health care workers?
Anti-abortion conservatives invented: vicious protesting at abortion providers homes, doxing family members, following wives or kids to their work places or school, writing up wanted lists of abortion providers, then crossing off the names once they were killed.

These are the same people that are now all indignant about protests outside SC justices homes. So far there have been no reports of violence. In fact neighbors of Alito have offered wine and cheese to protesters.

Writing on her sidewalk may be the only way Mainers can get a message through to her. She doesn't listen and she does send out form letters in response to letters to her. She's extremely disrespectful of the people of Maine.

Anti-abortion conservatives invented: vicious protesting at abortion providers homes, doxing family members, following wives or kids to their work places or school, writing up wanted lists of abortion providers, then crossing off the names once they were killed.

These are the same people that are now all indignant about protests outside SC justices homes. So far there have been no reports of violence. In fact neighbors of Alito have offered wine and cheese to protesters.

Writing on her sidewalk may be the only way Mainers can get a message through to her. She doesn't listen and she does send out form letters in response to letters to her. She's extremely disrespectful of the people of Maine.
Yeah, that's why I'm sobbing for these poor SCOTUS creeps. It's so SAD.

They are pretty silent on the abortion providers they protested against, stalked and encouraged killings.

But if you "post a message" to someone in front of their home? That is a personal act of communication to a specific target as described in my response.

How's about someone came in front of your house and wrote something specific to get your attention? You honestly would not feel concerned?

Who cares what was written or how she reported it? Clearly the message was directed at her, as can be seen in the article you provided.

My point stands.
How is it different than sending a letter?

Susan Collins lives on the same street as Stephen and Tabitha King. The contrast in relating to Mainers is huge. Susan has isolated herself from her constituents while the Kings have been generous and interested in making Bangor a better place for everyone.

Read more :

Excellent posting!!!

Yup. And some people just cannot wait to cut down our right to peaceful assembly. They want our assemblies to take place far from the sites of any action. Who said protesters cannot protest near the homes of officials? What they should not be able to do is to menace the officials. They should be kept at a distance. If a crowd had gathered, it should have been kept away from the Senator's home. (That is not what is done to protect Secretaries of State targeted by Trump supporters who menace them in their homes, of course. However, it should be.)

My point stands.

How exactly does that fit with freedom of speech?
Collins seems to have done everything she can to ignore her constituents and make herself unavailable so this action is about as mild a reply as you can get.

Collins does not own the sidewalk and people can write messages to anyone they like as long as they don't contain death threats or the like.
How is simply writing a message in chalk on a sidewalk any business for the police?

Collins should be thrown out of office for complete failure to do her job and engage with the community she's supposed to serve.

How exactly does that fit with freedom of speech?

Your freedom to do something ends where the freedom of someone else to not be involved/affected/harmed begins.

For example: Your freedom to swing your first ends before the contact (battery) or threat of contact (assault) with someone else begins.

There are all sorts of issues raised with "free speech." For example, a favorite form frequently alleged by many on the Left is "hate speech." Which can be anything someone personally feels "offensive, threatening, etc."

Collins seems to have done everything she can to ignore her constituents and make herself unavailable so this action is about as mild a reply as you can get.

Collins is not the only Senator of Maine, there are two Collins (Rep.) and Angus King (Ind.) who typically sides with Democrats in the Senate. There are also two Members of the House of Representatives.

That's three other options accessible to those seeking help/contact. All of them have offices in the State manned by staffers who handle constituent contacts.

Collins does not own the sidewalk and people can write messages to anyone they like as long as they don't contain death threats or the like.

Actually, that depends on the State/locale. In many cases one's property line extends to the street, with a sidewalk allowing a means of passage through one's property with the right of pedestrians to use it for that purpose. I suspect some homeowners in the Forum can confirm this themselves.

But the point is that no one should have to deal with anyone when they are in their homes absent a warrant or other permission.

The Senator chose to react as she did because she felt concerned.

The fact you and other's don't see that side of it is the issue.

Hence my point about how anyone, much less a public figure, would feel about strangers or others leaving "messages" on or around their homes.

How is simply writing a message in chalk on a sidewalk any business for the police?

How is it not? Even for a common citizen, much less a public figure?

Collins should be thrown out of office for complete failure to do her job and engage with the community she's supposed to serve.

You mean not re-elected don't you? There is no method of removal by "recall" allowed for in the Constitution.

You have a group of twats who actually protest at funerals and they've won court cases to make sure they can continue to do so because they're twats.
Have a look at the Westboro Baptist Church.
If that's allowed then so is writing on the sidewalk with chalk messages to a representative whose decided her constituents are scum not worth her time.
I also assume you think someone simply standing peacefully on a sidewalk holding a sign with a message is also cause for police action?

She's a public servant who refuses to serve her public and you're annoyed that a few of them tried a nonviolent way to get through to her?

Last edited:
You have a group of twats who actually protest at funerals and they've won court cases to make sure they can continue to do so because they're twats.

Not quite the same thing. As well as a red herring. I believe there are old threads in this Forum discussing that example. Go dredge one up and resurrect it if you wish. I don't intend to rehash it here.

If that's allowed then so is writing on the sidewalk with chalk messages to a representative whose decided her constituents are scum not worth her time.

Your ad hominin attack on the Senator defeats your partisan argument before it gets started.

I've clearly pointed out avenues accessible to constituents which you ignored.

While one might desire "instant access" to one's "representatives," they do have private lives as well. Like any one of us, that public life should end at one's property line.

She's a public servant who refuses to serve her public and you're annoyed that a few of them tried a nonviolent way to get through to her?

I am annoyed that they chose a method that would concern most anyone if confronted by it at their own homes.

However, I am not surprised that someone with your views can't see the issue of concern.

Back
Top Bottom