• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israel Isolated as UN Security Council Demands Immediate Ceasefire in Gaza

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Ceasefire resolution has been passed at the UN - a sign of a political threshold has been crossed in Washington

Israel Isolated as UN Security Council Demands Immediate Ceasefire in Gaza

The UN security council has voted to demand an immediate ceasefire in Gaza for the first time since the start of the Israel-Hamas war, after the US dropped a threat to veto, bringing Israel to near total isolation on the world stage.

The US abstained and the 14 other council members all voted in favour of the security council ceasefire resolution, put forward by the 10 elected council members who voiced their frustration with more than five months of deadlock between the major powers.

The text demanded “an immediate ceasefire for the month of Ramadan leading to a lasting sustainable ceasefire”. It also demanded the release of hostages but did not make a truce dependent on them being freed, as Washington had previously demanded.

Israel cancels Washington visit after US allows UN Gaza ceasefire resolution to pass​

CNN —
Tensions between the United States and Israel were exposed on Monday when Washington stood aside and allowed the UN Security Council to pass a resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

The US decision to abstain on the vote prompted Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to cancel a scheduled trip to the US by two of his top advisers, two Israeli officials said.

The US had previously vetoed similar resolutions calling for a ceasefire. Its position evolved last week when on Friday, it put forward a ceasefire resolution tied tied to the release of hostages. That resolution fell when it was vetoed by Russia and China. The US abstention on Monday’s vote allowed the latest resolution to pass, when the other 14 members of the 15-strong council voted yes.

There is an element of ridiculousness in demanding a ceasefire of Israel while Hamas still holds innocent Israeli civilians hostage.

The hostages must be released. Then, Israel would be in a position to permit a ceasefire and an influx of sorely needed humanitarian aid.

Hamas should not be in charge of Gaza. But neither should Ali Khamenei be in charge of Iran, nor Vladimir Putin be in charge of Russia. The people of Gaza deserve a measure of self-determination, and Israel, too, deserves a better leader than Netanyahu.

This demand for a cease fire will be ignored by Bibi.
Agreed.
And the UN will be exposed as the impotent organization that we all know it is.
Well, yes and no. It’s long been seen as impotent as far as forcing hard consequences, but it is a useful barometer for a soft power that Israel is losing. Which I think was the real purpose of Hamas’ disgusting attack, to bait Israel into hurting its own international reputation.

The US withholding its veto is not a bullet to the head, but it is a kind of slap in the face.

Its long overdue. We have been isolating ourselves by using our veto to protect a country that simply does not care what the world believes, from what the world beleives.y That veto should only be used when our vital interests demand it, not when some other country might wish it. Up next, somehow finding the votes in Congress to stall or stop any military aid package to Israel so that Biden does not have to sign one. I don't how we can stop a israeli aid package, but I sure would like to.

This demand for a cease fire will be ignored by Bibi. And the UN will be exposed as the impotent organization that we all know it is.
He'll keep pressing on, because he feels he's close to absolute victory.

Agreed.

Well, yes and no. It’s long been seen as impotent as far as forcing hard consequences, but it is a useful barometer for a soft power that Israel is losing. Which I think was the real purpose of Hamas’ disgusting attack, to bait Israel into hurting its own international reputation.

The US withholding its veto is not a bullet to the head, but it is a kind of slap in the face.
As Israel becomes increasingly isolated it falls toward pariah status.
The Arab street becomes more assertive, curtailing the latitude of Arab govts.
Other foreign govts become more uneasy in their dealings with Israel.

The Biden govt has signaled to Netanyahu govt that it has run out of patience. As the rift widens, the conflict between the two will only intensify.

Agreed.

Absolutely a slap in the face to Netanyahu. 👍👍

Its long overdue. We have been isolating ourselves by using our veto to protect a country that simply does not care what the world believes, from what the world beleives.y That veto should only be used when our vital interests demand it, not when some other country might wish it. Up next, somehow finding the votes in Congress to stall or stop any military aid package to Israel so that Biden does not have to sign one. I don't how we can stop a israeli aid package, but I sure would like to.
I don't believe Congress can bypass Biden and provide Military aid to that bloodlustful reactionary without his final approval. Bottom line, he doesn't have to. It's way past time he cut him off...

The big question here is..or else what?
What happens if everyone ignores a demand from the UN to cease fire?

In the short run, the effect will mostly in diplomatic friction (a lot of it).

This is global condemnation. Israel is now a rogue state.

And, for the first time ever, without unconditional sAmerican support.

I don't believe Congress can bypass Biden and provide Military aid to that bloodlustful reactionary without his final approval. Bottom line, he doesn't have to. It's way past time he cut him off...
I don't support such aid at all, but I think Biden will definitely sign an aid package for Israel. He has already said over and over that he supports such aid, and it would be such a complete and dramatic reversal of American policy going back 75 years... I can't see any way around this. Besides, its his bargaining chip to get Republicans to support Ukraine military support.

Ceasefire resolution has been passed at the UN - a sign of a political threshold has been crossed in Washington

The latest and among the biggest in a series of huge blows to Israeli soft power that will keep coming so long as Israel insists on prosecuting its brutal, inhumane and likely genocidal invasion of Gaza as it presently does; the US abstention is historical, significant and above all, deserved.

Should Israel disregard it as it has thus far utterly ignored the ICJ's provisional orders to avoid genocide, it will be taking another big step towards being a pariah state.

1. Demands an immediate ceasefire for the month of Ramadan respected by all parties leading to a lasting sustainable ceasefire, and also demands the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages, as well as ensuring humanitarian access to address their medical and other humanitarian needs, and further demands that the parties comply with their obligations under international law in relation to all persons they detain;

Link

Nothing.
Over a year ago the UN approved a resolution demanding Russia leave the Ukraine.
The UN is a very expensive wet noodle.

We agree on that. Do we agree there needs to be a process of enforcement within the UN? I know there are some conservatives who are not comfortable with that idea.

We agree on that. Do we agree there needs to be a process of enforcement within the UN? I know there are some conservatives who are not comfortable with that idea.

Well Hamas fired off missiles AFTER this passed. Should the UN do something about that?

Then good luck with any prospects of funding Ukraine. The GOP will not will not bring up a vote in the House to fund Ukraine without also funding Israel.

Israel is quite free to rescind her membership of an organisation she clearly despises, and wouldn't be missed for a second. Lest we forget, Israel has routinely violated every tenet of international law, the Geneva conventions and the laws of occupation since having been admitted as a UN member state, yet is the first to go whining to the UN when it suits. Those same laws and conventions she agreed to abide by as a condition of membership. Join a club, abide by its rules or leave. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom