• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [5:15 am CDT] - in 15 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Islamophobia.

stevecanuck

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Is it possible to criticize the religion of Islam based on its scriptures without automatically denigrating those who call themselves Muslim?

Is it possible to criticize the religion of Islam based on its scriptures without automatically denigrating those who call themselves Muslim?

No. Religious nutbags internalise cooky religious ideas, and will interpret an attack on religion as an attack on themselves.

Yes. I detest Islam but I have met and worked with many Muslims who were my friends. Just as I loathe Christianity but been close to many Christians like my cherished mother.

Try it with Christians and see the response you get

Yes but it is so often the case that the latter is what is underpinning the former, as I'm sure you are already aware.

The same can be said about many believers and their religious texts, so singling out Islam should serve as a person's first potential red flag imho.

Is it possible to criticize the religion of Islam based on its scriptures without automatically denigrating those who call themselves Muslim? its followers?

possible? yes i suppose
is that a blanket statement for any or all criticism of said religion. no

One graduates from Christianity to Islam.

After wandering for time immemorial, the soul needs a concrete assurance of a personal God that they get in Christianity, but the Higher Mental Body sees that this abuse of the Godhead is wrong and so takes birth in a culture with consciousness that will balance it.

After so many births balancing these views, they again come to a personal view in Hare Krishna which graduates to the I am.

Time to keep your eye on Canada regarding the fight between freedom of speech vs. outlawing so-called 'Islamophobia'. The Trudeau government has been working towards making it illegal to speak freely about concerns over the religion of Islam under the guise of "fighting hate". Of course it's Trudeau, so it means he's just pandering and virtue-signalling. It's all that matters to him.

To me Islamophobia is a politically constructed word designed to keep people from publicly making the connection between Islamic scripture and all of the unsavory (to us) aspects of Islamic law and doctrine. From wife-beating to sexual slavery to denigration of unbelievers to executing people for committing 'corruption on earth' to Islamist jihad - it's all explicitly called for by God in the Qur'an and demonstrated by Mohamed and the first Muslims. And that is the last thing that political and/or militant Muslims want us to be able to talk about.

Just label it 'hate speech', criminalize it, and Mahmood's your uncle.

I think it is not possible to criticize the tenets of any evangelical religion without denigrating its adherents. After all, by definition evangelical religions pass negative judgment on all non-believers, so the words of a non-believer will always be taken as words of evil or sin.

This is why there is little value in actively debating believers of evangelical religions. If you’re not with them, then you’re the Devil.

It seems there's two reasons to call people islamophobic. First and obviously it's Islamic people that don't like for their religion to be criticized. Christians and other people of other religious beliefs do this too.

And the other reason is a little more nuanced. It's because people don't like the reality of Islam.

These are particularly people that criticize Christianity for various homophobic and misogynistic beliefs they don't realize Islam holds them harder.

I think people see Islam as just a fancy word for brown people and the people who are interested in that are identifying Islam is not light but they've never read any descriptions of Muhammad. There are several hadiths talking about his whiteness and the whiteness of various body parts.

If you want to hear some stuff about Islam and the people who practice it in the Middle East find a black combat veteran from Afghanistan and the Iraq war. I was surprised.

To me Islamophobia is a politically constructed word designed to keep people from publicly making the connection between Islamic scripture and all of the unsavory (to us) aspects of Islamic law and doctrine. From wife-beating to sexual slavery to denigration of unbelievers to executing people for committing 'corruption on earth' to Islamist jihad - it's all explicitly called for by God in the Qur'an and demonstrated by Mohamed and the first Muslims. And that is the last thing that political and/or militant Muslims want us to be able to talk about.

The more you know about Islam the less likely you would be to hold such views. For instance, wife beating is symbolic and is done only when a marriage is in dire straits. It's done with a small scarf tied to a miswak (tooth brush). Next step is divorce.

To me Islamophobia is a politically constructed word designed to keep people from publicly making the connection between Islamic scripture and all of the unsavory (to us) aspects of Islamic law and doctrine.
well thats no surprise to us at all, we are sure "to you" you do see it that way but facts, definitions and reality show differently just like with Christianophobia etc

It seems there's two reasons to call people islamophobic. First and obviously it's Islamic people that don't like for their religion to be criticized. Christians and other people of other religious beliefs do this too.

And the other reason is a little more nuanced. It's because people don't like the reality of Islam.

These are particularly people that criticize Christianity for various homophobic and misogynistic beliefs they don't realize Islam holds them harder.

I think people see Islam as just a fancy word for brown people and the people who are interested in that are identifying Islam is not light but they've never read any descriptions of Muhammad. There are several hadiths talking about his whiteness and the whiteness of various body parts.

If you want to hear some stuff about Islam and the people who practice it in the Middle East find a black combat veteran from Afghanistan and the Iraq war. I was surprised.
Except along the coasts most Saudi Arabs have light olive skin. Islam in Afghanistan is a bit different.. usually Pashtun and Deobandi.

its a religion utterly without compassion unlike Christianity and Buddhism. I have no use for it at all

its a religion utterly without compassion unlike Christianity and Buddhism. I have no use for it at all
What utter nonsense. Do you know any Muslims?

Except along the coasts most Saudi Arabs have light olive skin. Islam in Afghanistan is a bit different.. usually Pashtun and Deobandi.
I'm not talking about Arabs I'm talking about Muslims. Parents can be Hindu they can be Christian that can be Jewish they can be Pentecostal they can be Jedi they can be atheist there is no connection between the race and religion

I'm not talking about Arabs I'm talking about Muslims. Parents can be Hindu they can be Christian that can be Jewish they can be Pentecostal they can be Jedi they can be atheist there is no connection between the race and religion

Yes, I know.. and most Arabs are light skinned.

Can you criticize the Bible without criticizing Christians?

Islam gets a bad rap because of extremist Arabs.

People in American seem to think they are the same thing.

Islam gets a bad rap because of extremist Arabs.
that follow Islam.

Christianity doesn't get a bad rap because of extremist Arabs that followed Christianity or Judaism or Hinduism or Buddhism?
People in American seem to think they are the same thing.
No people in America seem to appropriately designate to Islam Islamic values.

Back
Top Bottom