• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is "Uncle Tom" racist/derogatory?

Is "Uncle Tom" racist/derogatory?

• Total voters
So if I call A Black person a monkey it’s not racist? It’s only referring to one person not all blacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it would depend on your usage :shrug:
you could call ONE black person the Nword and only referring to him thats still racist because of its definition/usage
uncle tom has a definition and its an individual definition
his isnt rocket science

Found the racist.

nope you didnt find the racists at all, but did you find a bigoted, factually ignorant and topically uneducated view? absolutely

So if I call A Black person a monkey it’s not racist? It’s only referring to one person not all blacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. That would not be racist. That isn't committing a composition error in any way. That would, however, be a derogatory comment...

It's odd finding myself agreeing with a post of Agent J's, but I guess it's bound to happen every now and then ;)

Correct. That would not be racist. That isn't committing a composition error in any way. That would, however, be a derogatory comment...

It's odd finding myself agreeing with a post of Agent J's, but I guess it's bound to happen every now and then ;)

It shouldn't feel odd, AgentJ is one of the better posters on here and even if you disagree he typically has valid points and rationale for his positions (at least in my experience).

nope you didn't find the racists at all, but did you find a bigoted, factually ignorant and topically uneducated view? absolutely

You don't seem to know what the word bigot means and therefore are unqualified to label anyone else uneducated. In fact, given that I have a Bachelor's of Science it would seem that you yourself would be more appropriately described as prejudiced.

It shouldn't feel odd, AgentJ is one of the better posters on here and even if you disagree he typically has valid points and rationale for his positions (at least in my experience).

Spoken like someone who frequently agrees with him regardless of whether or not he makes sense.

You don't seem to know what the word bigot means and therefore are unqualified to label anyone else uneducated. In fact, given that I have a Bachelor's of Science it would seem that you yourself would be more appropriately described as prejudiced.

LOL so you are really going to double down on the bigotry and ignorance you posted making your post look even more stupid? AWESOME!!!
this will be fun...

you judged all black people who vote republican as derogatory, by definition that is bigotry.

thanks for playing, your lies and completely uneducated claims get owned again.

Last edited:
Nonsensically wrong.

Your ignoring of the support for my argument has been noted.

You have dismissed my argument as absurd without providing any counterargument to my argument.

That is what is know as the Argument of the Stone Fallacy.

Try substantive reasoning next time...

Spoken like someone who frequently agrees with him regardless of whether or not he makes sense.

Spoken like someone who got their feelings hurt for getting called out for bigotry and ignorance. On this point I am in 100% agreement with AgentJ

LOL so you are really going to double down on the bigotry and ignorance you posted making your post look even more stupid? AWESOME!!!
this will be fun...

you judged all black people who vote republican as derogatory, by definition that is bigotry.

thanks for playing, you lies and completely uneducated claims get owned again.

Correct... I still feel weird agreeing with you, but you are correct about this.

It is also racism on his part since his composition error of all black people who vote republican not only involves people as the class, but it involves genetics as well.

You don't seem to know what the word bigot means and therefore are unqualified to label anyone else uneducated.
Agent J was actually quite correct about his claim. He could have even extended it out to racism, such as I did, since your Composition Fallacy also involved genetics.

In fact, given that I have a Bachelor's of Science
I don't believe you.

it would seem that you yourself would be more appropriately described as prejudiced.
AJ and I butt heads a lot, but here he is correct.

1.) Correct... I still feel weird agreeing with you, but you are correct about this.
2.)It is also racism on his part since his composition error of all black people who vote republican not only involves people as the class, but it involves genetics as well.

1.) i know facts weird you out but youll manage ;)
2.) the example/feeling in question is not racism, he could be one, i dont know, but the example is not.

I've had an opposite experience in a general sense, but here I have to pretty much agree with him.

Spoken like someone who got their feelings hurt for getting called out for bigotry and ignorance. On this point I am in 100% agreement with AgentJ

Thanks i have found this common among people that respect facts and logic, post with integrity, can admit mistakes and who can totally disagree in areas that are opinion based who understand its just an opinion

1.) i know facts weird you out but youll manage ;)
;) Thanks man...

2.) the example/feeling in question is not racism, he could be one, i dont know, but the example is not.
Here, we have a bit of disagreement. I fully agree with you that his comments were bigoted, since his composition error obviously involved people as the class, but since his comments also involved genetics as the property, his comments were also racist.

this will be fun...

thanks for playing, your lies and completely uneducated claims get owned again.

I bet he triples down on it... ;)

:popcorn2:

1.) ;) Thanks man...
2.)Here, we have a bit of disagreement. I fully agree with you that his comments were bigoted, since his composition error obviously involved people as the class, but since his comments also involved genetics as the property, his comments were also racist.
1.)YW
2.) you are free to disagree but im going by facts, definitions and what he actually said :shrug:

I was in a conversation on a different platform when someone used the term "Uncle Toms" to describe minorities that voted for Republicans. Believing that this was a derogatory term to use against minorities, I asked them why they would call them that. They basically said the term wasn't derogatory. What do people think? Is this term racist, derogatory, or not?

It is a term that is only used for a specific race of people and in a derogatory way so yes it is racist. If Uncle Tom were used to apply to anyone who subservient regardless of race then it wouldn't be. Also I don't see how voting any certain way makes a black person more of an Uncle Tom and a white person. Trump is just as bad for everyone. He may look down on blacks and brown people - but he hates white liberals and poor people and anyone else who doesn't worship him the way his base does. But I digress - my point is the term is racist and is being misused in this scenario by ignorant people.

Other..... content always matters and most things are circumstantial...

its not racist because it doesnt apply to a whole race, i guess if somebody used it in a way to refer to a whole race it could be but typically by definition this is an individual tag

as for derogatory, yes it very much can be based on usage and that is the common usage of it but it doenst have to be

in your example it seems derogatory. as it is being used to chastise the people its applied too. But its weird that that same person claimed it was derogatory. Im guessing they dont now what EITHER word means. Uncle tom and derogatory.

I disagree that it is not a racist term. Uncle Tom is used almost, if not fully, exclusively as a derogatory term for black people. Unless I am mistaken it is not used to describe any other race in the same manner even under the same circumstances. I think that makes it a racist term. I agree with you that they are using both terms incorrectly though.

I disagree that it is not a racist term. Uncle Tom is used almost, if not fully, exclusively as a derogatory term for black people. Unless I am mistaken it is not used to describe any other race in the same manner even under the same circumstances. I think that makes it a racist term. I agree with you that they are using both terms incorrectly though.

thats not what makes a term racist though nor is that the definition of racist.

are jew, negro and Caucasian racist? of course not

usage could MAKE them racist but alone they arent racist.

when people use it not derogatory what race are they being racist against?
when a black guy uses it against another black guy even when it is derogatory what race is he being racist against?

thats not what makes a term racist though nor is that the definition of racist.

are jew, negro and Caucasian racist? of course not

Jew can certainly be racist depending on how it is used. Negro and Caucasian to my knowledge are not commonly used as derogatory terms in and of themselves.

usage could MAKE them racist but alone they arent racist.

Which is my point. The term Uncle Tom is always directed toward a person of only one race of people and always in a derogatory way. Unless you have an actual uncle named Tom. That is different.

when people use it not derogatory what race are they being racist against?

I am not aware of any use of Uncle Tom as a means of describing the actions of a person (not their actual name) in a way that is not derogatory and being directed toward black people.

when a black guy uses it against another black guy even when it is derogatory what race is he being racist against?

Yea. I'd say so. The statement and context make it racist not the person saying it.

1.) Jew can certainly be racist depending on how it is used. Negro and Caucasian to my knowledge are not commonly used as derogatory terms in and of themselves.
2.) Which is my point.
3.) The term Uncle Tom is always directed toward a person of only one race of people and always in a derogatory way. Unless you have an actual uncle named Tom. That is different.
4.)I am not aware of any use of Uncle Tom as a means of describing the actions of a person (not their actual name) in a way that is not derogatory and being directed toward black people.
5.)Yea. I'd say so. The statement and context make it racist not the person saying it.

1.) already said they CAN be but that doesnt make them racist....
2.) what that they can be that was already said posts ago
3.) yet that still doesnt make it racist because its just like the other terms it CAN be but that doesnt make it only racist
4.) well you not being aware doesnt matter. i here people use it about themselves when they are successful as a joke and people that are friendly use it the same way
it was used on my in fact by a friend when i got a certain promotion making me lead test engineer, running my own shift. it wasn't derogatory at all.
so to answer my question the answer is, its not racist to any race in that usage
5.) yeah youd say so to what? what you just said made no sense... i asked you what race is it being racist too....

I was in a conversation on a different platform when someone used the term "Uncle Toms" to describe minorities that voted for Republicans. Believing that this was a derogatory term to use against minorities, I asked them why they would call them that. They basically said the term wasn't derogatory. What do people think? Is this term racist, derogatory, or not?
Let's get one thing straight from the get-go:
The ideas underpinning and concomitant with the term "Uncle Tom," as with those pertaining to the "N-word," are irrevocably and inextricably racist.

Such words' meanings have a whole lotta "baggage" because they depict attitudes and ways of thinking and behaving, both on the part of the speaker and the object of the epithet. Accordingly, one will advised to eschew calling anyone, most especially a Black person, an "Uncle Tom."​

• [*=1]If denigrating the person be what one is of a mind to do, use words or phrases lacking racist/race-related associations.
    [*=1]If one doesn't know any such words, take the time to learn at least the most basic denotations of the words one was supposed to have learned in high school.
The instant one uses an innately racist term such as "Uncle Tom," the audience must necessarily consider multiple contextual factors that, had one's diction differed, they would not have had to assess. Why burden one's audience thus? Doing so just isn't necessary.​

As with most other terms, whether calling another an "Uncle Tom" is racist depends on the extant elements of context in the situation in which the term is used to describe an individual:
  • Does the object of the term preponderantly comport him-/herself as an "Uncle Tom?"
    • One cannot call someone an "Uncle Tom" on account of one or a mere few behavioral acts and/or remarks. To do so is to leap to a conclusion, and doing so is innately disingenuous and intellectually dishonest, simply put, illogical, as is everything about racism.
  • Has the speaker used the term uncoventionally, that is, with regard to a non-white person?
    • Calling a white person an "Uncle Tom" is aspersive; however, because the object is white, the "baggage" that accompanies the term is necessarily inapplicable. Calling a white an "Uncle Tom" is similar to calling a Black person a "redneck;" as referent to a Black person, the "baggage" of "redneck" simply doesn't apply.
  • What is the speaker's intent as shown by the rest of what s/he says and doesn't say at the time?
  • What is the speaker's tone and the tone of the exchange between the speaker and the object of the remark?
  • What kind of track record does the speaker have with regard to matters of race and re: persons of various races?
All the elements of context must be weighed to accurately determine whether the remark reflects racism in the speaker's heart/mind. Regardless of whether context makes the aspersion racist, there is nothing complimentary about calling someone an "Uncle Tom;" thus the remark is always derogatory, deprecating, derisive, etc.

Yes, of course it is offensive and should NEVER be used.

No matter what one thinks of any ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, one should NEVER use unkind epithets.

That's just common sense.

Back
Top Bottom