• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is There Such A Thing As An Illegal Immigrant?

So have you spoken to these people, or are there surveys? I still don't understand how you are concluding migrants have changed their minds. Also, violence is a major problem in Mexico as well, unfortunately. It had been getting better, but in recent years it has been worsening again.

You are nothing but a partisan hack who doesn't even watch or read the news.

It seems to me that the left's argument is that there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant.
Ugh. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

First, there is a semantic debate. Some people -- of all ideological persuasions, not just the left -- dislike the term "illegal immigrant." People are not "illegal," even when they violate the law when crossing a border. Thus, the preferred term is "undocumented immigrant" and/or "EWI" (entered without inspection).

Second, your "analysis" is flat-out wrong. There are plenty of immigrants who enter and stay in the US, without proper documentation, and never apply for asylum. Many of those individuals are entering the US legally, and overstaying their visa.

Third, requesting asylum doesn't ensure that the applicant gets to stay in the US indefinitely. The denial rate is around 65%, and if you are denied then you are deported pretty much immediately. Applicants basically stay in the US for years because there is a massive backlog for immigration courts. (If Trump really wanted to get rid of asylum seekers, he should be doubling, tripling, quadrupling the number of immigration judges/courts. Makes ya think....)

Thus, the options should be, at a minimum....

• Enter legally, stay legally (e.g. apply for asylum at a POE, leave when visa is up, or are granted residency)
• Enter legally, stay without documentation (overstay a visa)
• EWI, find a way to stay legally (successfully apply for asylum, marry US citizen, Dreamer, U Visa)
• EWI, stay unless/until deported (most undocumented immigrants in the US)
• Enter with or without inspection, remain in US legally until hearing held (asylum)

The left doesn't care about the facts, only about their feelings. I can't wait until they start claiming that there are no burglars, they are just uninvited guests.

Okay, then advocate a constitutional amendment. Until then, counting all residents, legal or not, is the law of the Constitution.

As is with many things, the constitution is all about interpretation. Of course the left wants to interpret it their way instead of the intent of our founding fathers.

As is with many things, the constitution is all about interpretation. Of course the left wants to interpret it their way instead of the intent of our founding fathers.
That has been the interpretation under administrations and courts both from the left and the right for as long as either of us have been alive. The words are pretty clear - not much room to interpret it any other way. But go on believing everything you disagree with is some liberal conspiracy.

You are nothing but a partisan hack who doesn't even watch or read the news.
Way to move the conversation forward.

Your claim: migrants are changing their stories about why they want to come to the U.S.

Provide data to back up your claim, otherwise it isn't true.

The left doesn't care about the facts, only about their feelings. I can't wait until they start claiming that there are no burglars, they are just uninvited guests.

It follows their logic.

Way to move the conversation forward.

Your claim: migrants are changing their stories about why they want to come to the U.S.

Provide data to back up your claim, otherwise it isn't true.

Remember that 8-year old boy who died after his father dragged him to our border at death's door? Go read how his and his family's reasons changed. Before and after a lawyer started working with them.
Observe what the migrants say before and after they get coached by NGO members.

Remember that 8-year old boy who died after his father dragged him to our border at death's door? Go read how his and his family's reasons changed. Before and after a lawyer started working with them.
Observe what the migrants say before and after they get coached by NGO members.
Please show me what you would like me to read and I will.

Please show me what you would like me to read and I will.

Sorry, I'm not your secretary. If you aren't up to speed with matters discussed, you could do something about that.:2wave:

Sorry, I'm not your secretary. If you aren't up to speed with matters discussed, you could do something about that.:2wave:
I tried looking up what you claimed. Didn't find anything supporting it. And apparently neither can you - you just assume that data supporting your beliefs must be out there somewhere, right?

Back
Top Bottom