• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there such a thing as “too much anti-racism”? Cornell and prestigious private school in NYC (and Biden Administration)

JBG

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
The murder of George Floyd and similar incidents have led to an epidemic of breast-beating an hair-shirt wearing. It has to stop before we destroy not only education, but any hope for racial healing. Remember, Derek Chauvin, not the U.S., Brearly School or Cornell University killed Derek Chauvin.

Recently, Brearly School, a prestigious all-female NYC private school required one parent of each child to take anti-racism training as part of their daughters’ admission process (link). One of the fathers withdrew their daughter, and sent an open letter to all parents that was published (link) stating in part:
Letter from Parent said:
I object to the view that I should be judged by the color of my skin. I cannot tolerate a school that not only judges my daughter by the color of her skin, but encourages and instructs her to prejudge others by theirs.
I object to the idea that Blacks are unable to succeed in this country without aid from government or from whites. Brearley, by adopting critical race theory, is advocating the abhorrent viewpoint that Blacks should forever be regarded as helpless victims, and are incapable of success regardless of their skills, talents, or hard work. What Brearley is teaching our children is precisely the true and correct definition of racism.
*******I object to Brearley’s vacuous, inappropriate, and fanatical use of words such as “equity,” “diversity” and “inclusiveness.”
In a similar vein, the U.S. Department of Education has proposed the following rule, Proposed Priorities-American History and ... - Federal Register, (link), excerpted below:
Department of Education said:
Proposed Priorities—American History and Civics Education -
SUMMARY: The Department of Education

Under this priority, the applicants propose projects that incorporate teaching and learning practices that reflect the diversity, identities, histories, contributions, and experiences of all students create inclusive, supportive, and identity-safe learning environments. In its application, an applicant addressing this priority must describe how its proposed project incorporates teaching and learning practices that—
(a) Take into account systemic marginalization, biases, inequities, and discriminatory policy and practice in American history;
(b) Incorporate racially, ethnically, culturally, and linguistically diverse perspectives and perspectives on the experience of individuals with disabilities;
This was my comment that I filed with the government, with certain identifying information redacted:
jbgusa comment on regulation said:
I have read the proposed rule. My children are now beyond their college education. Nevertheless I remain gravely concerned. As a history major at Cornell University I feel that I have a solid grounding in history.
I am concerned that these new incentives or requirements will further dilute the amount of history instruction available. It will require teaching, in effect, that American history is inherently evil and that the U.S. has been a negative force in the world. I resoundingly disagree.

There is definitely a place for teaching the achievements of the minority community. George Washington Carver, Booker T. Washington, Louis Armstrong, Jackie Robinson, John Brown etc. The list goes on. That does not mean that Benjamin Franklin, John Adams and even slaveholders George Washington or Thomas Jefferson lose their seat at the table. What they created, a constitutional republic wasn't perfect. It certainly wasn't repugnant either.

Finally, this emphasis on race is the exact opposite of what we need; a color-blind society.

The murder of George Floyd and similar incidents have led to an epidemic of breast-beating an hair-shirt wearing. It has to stop before we destroy not only education, but any hope for racial healing. Remember, Derek Chauvin, not the U.S., Brearly School or Cornell University killed Derek Chauvin.

Recently, Brearly School, a prestigious all-female NYC private school required one parent of each child to take anti-racism training as part of their daughters’ admission process (link). One of the fathers withdrew their daughter, and sent an open letter to all parents that was published (link) stating in part:

In a similar vein, the U.S. Department of Education has proposed the following rule, Proposed Priorities-American History and ... - Federal Register, (link), excerpted below:

This was my comment that I filed with the government, with certain identifying information redacted:

Finally, this emphasis on race is the exact opposite of what we need; a color-blind society.

If the American society was TRULY color-blind, then we would no longer need to talk about race. That hasn’t happened yet.

Color blind is a nonstarter. The answer to moving forward is not to deny the past.

Is there such a thing as too much opposition to an authoritarian regime? How about too much opposition to murder, or rape, or other violent crimes? Should we try to compromise with evil?

We are social creatures, denying where we come from is false. Why not move forward with acceptance instead of denial.

As long as we have black and white neighborhoods, we won't be colorblind.

I wouldn't be too quick to make sweeping generalizations about the US being a negative or positive force in the world. But the propaganda and myths taught for generations needs to be challenged. Critical race theory does that and it is healthy.

The history of racism in this country as something akin to a history of alcoholism in a family. It is good and positive to recognize this disease and how it runs, respectively, in the family and nation.

The important thing about learning the truth about the past shouldn't be about looking back and judging whether it was good or bad, but to use it to look forward, and make the future better.

I wouldn't be too quick to make sweeping generalizations about the US being a negative or positive force in the world. But the propaganda and myths taught for generations needs to be challenged. Critical race theory does that and it is healthy.

The history of racism in this country as something akin to a history of alcoholism in a family. It is good and positive to recognize this disease and how it runs, respectively, in the family and nation.

The important thing about learning the truth about the past shouldn't be about looking back and judging whether it was good or bad, but to use it to look forward, and make the future better.
The most important and difficult step in solving the problem, as they emphasize in AA meetings, is acknowledging you have a problem. Folks like the dad in the OP who wrote the letter are good examples of people who just don’t want to acknowledge the problem.

Color blind is a nonstarter. The answer to moving forward is not to deny the past.

Judging people by the color of their skin and not the content of their character is not moving forward.

Reactions: JBG
We are social creatures, denying where we come from is false. Why not move forward with acceptance instead of denial.

The whole color-blind, "I see no color" routine always struck me as dense, intellectually lazy, and reality denying, no matter which side was pushing it.

Because people don't think or act that way. Most people treat the "other" differently, however they define that "other," no matter what stories they tell themselves.

Recognizing one's prejudices and reacting accordingly is of course an admirable thing to do, but I think there's a reason that Martin Luther King called his speech a "dream."

Because people don't think or act that way. Most people treat the "other" differently, however they define that "other," no matter what stories they tell themselves.

Recognizing one's prejudices and reacting accordingly is of course an admirable thing to do, but I think there's a reason that Martin Luther King called his speech a "dream."
The aim should be not to threat the "other" differently until someone, whether the same or the "other" proves a necessity for such different treatment.

The aim should be not to threat the "other" differently until someone, whether the same or the "other" proves a necessity for such different treatment.

Okay. My point is just that our brains aren't built that way. We aren't completely rational creatures. Part of the crazy in us is our biases. A lot of it is unintentional, I believe.

Judging people by the color of their skin and not the content of their character is not moving forward.

People shouldn't be judged by the color of their skin. But if you are judging people only by the content of their character, you are still going to find general disparities in success between black and white people. Then you have to explain this disparity. What causes it if we choose to be color blind?

This disparity IS due to skin color: Not because people of the dominant skin color are intellectually, biologically, or emotionally superior, but because they used to believe they were and passed laws to ensure their beliefs were validated by devastating the culture, education, and economic prospects of people of another culture and skin color. Simply saying "whoops" and rescinding those laws later on doesn't suddenly put everyone back on equal footing.

Trying to be "color-blind" discounts the long-lasting effects that hundreds of years of slavery, racism, and discrimination have on a culture. Decades of civil rights movements and cultural integration is lessening the impact of this legacy, but we are far from being able to be a color blind society yet. People's prospects in the United States are STILL affected by the color of their skin to this day, and we need to acknowledge that. We can't do that with the idealistic but naive notion that if we could just forget about racism that it would no longer be a factor in our lives.

I never said anything about judging. i would suggest it's more about recognizing a community.

Okay. My point is just that our brains aren't built that way. We aren't completely rational creatures. Part of the crazy in us is our biases. A lot of it is unintentional, I believe.
I don't know. When I worked side by side with my Jamaican law partner I did not see "black." Ditto when sitting in Bankruptcy Court with Judge Blackshear of blessed memory.

I don't know. When I worked side by side with my Jamaican law partner I did not see "black." Ditto when sitting in Bankruptcy Court with Judge Blackshear of blessed memory.

That's cool. I'm sure with associates and close friends, superficial differences fade away. And maybe that's how it is for you with everyone.

My goal with myself is to be aware of my biases and to try not to let them influence my actions.

I mean, if I lived in a white town and my only perception of another ethnicity was what I saw on a particular news channel, one takeaway, even if I tried to reason with myself, might be that that ethnic group is out to start a riot, steal my car, attack white women, and kill one another. And if I saw that channel regularly, that would be my only real input about that ethnic group. And when that same channel encouraged people not to see color, I might not even notice the contradiction in its reporting. But there are good odds that it would create a bias in me, whether or not I wanted that to happen.

In the end, I just think that if it very difficult for people to admit their biases, what chance do they ever have at overcoming them?

In the end, I just think that if it very difficult for people to admit their biases, what chance do they ever have at overcoming them?
So you're saying that you have to inculcate a bias first to defeat it?

So you're saying that you have to inculcate a bias first to defeat it?
I think it more often becomes absorbed, and yes, if it doesn't become a part of you, then there's no need to defeat it.

If we choose bad inputs, we absorb negative influences.

If the American society was TRULY color-blind, then we would no longer need to talk about race. That hasn’t happened yet.
We could get there if the leftwing would just shut their yaps about the subject. But that's their goal. The left's goal is to foment division and chaos wherever possible

As long as we have black and white neighborhoods, we won't be colorblind.
That's ridiculous. People choose to live with those like them, both black and white. That's why school busing died a well-deserved death. Nobody from either side wanted it.

We could get there if the leftwing would just shut their yaps about the subject. But that's their goal. The left's goal is to foment division and chaos wherever possible
No, the left wants to solve the problem, a lot of conservatives just want to ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom