• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there anyway to verify this was a Russian aircraft?

EnigmaO01

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I loaded munitions on American fighter aircraft years ago but only have basic knowledge of Russian fighter jets. The claim is it was piloted by the Russians, but I'm skeptical of claims by both sides I this war. Is there enough left to even tell?

Anybody know?

4Gc2QIOm.jpg

I loaded munitions on American fighter aircraft years ago but only have basic knowledge of Russian fighter jets. The claim is it was piloted by the Russians, but I'm skeptical of claims by both sides I this war. Is there enough left to even tell?

Anybody know?
Can you link what you’re talking about?

If you’re talking the current Russo-Ukrainian war, both sides (Largely) operate the same airframes. Russia operates some aircraft types that Ukraine doesn’t, like the Mig-31 but those aren’t being used to the best of my knowledge, it would be very difficult to tell unless you can spot insignia on the aircraft or have context clues.

Can you link what you’re talking about?

If you’re talking the current Russo-Ukrainian war, both sides (Largely) operate the same airframes. Russia operates some aircraft types that Ukraine doesn’t, like the Mig-31 but those aren’t being used to the best of my knowledge, it would be very difficult to tell unless you can spot insignia on the aircraft or have context clues.
Serial numbers on various parts.

But no way to tell from just that image or even a walk around the site by a non expert.

Serial numbers on various parts.

But no way to tell from just that image or even a walk around the site by a non expert.
Well unless there’s a public database on serials from SU-27 and Mig-29 aircraft that’s publicly accessible and we get footage of wreckage with such numbers visible it wouldn’t be something we could tell here. But if someone shows a piece of wreckage with a visible roundel on it or a dead/captured pilot with visible insignia or ID on their uniform we could accept that for purposes of the forum

Anybody know?

4Gc2QIOm.jpg

The tip of the nose looks white, which would make it Russian, but better confirmation would be needed.

Well unless there’s a public database on serials from SU-27 and Mig-29 aircraft that’s publicly accessible and we get footage of wreckage with such numbers visible it wouldn’t be something we could tell here. But if someone shows a piece of wreckage with a visible roundel on it or a dead/captured pilot with visible insignia or ID on their uniform we could accept that for purposes of the forum
I was referring to professional investigators.

It is claimed that is an Su-30 "Flanker". An upgrade to the earlier Su-27.

And like the Tu-160 looks like the B-1, the engineering of the time created an aircraft similar to the F-15.

But that's a Flanker.

The tip of the nose looks white, which would make it Russian, but better confirmation would be needed.
Ukraine also had white tips as well as gray and black tips on their flankers as well, so that alone would not make it russian.

Anybody know?

4Gc2QIOm.jpg
There has been many lies and fakes from both sides, and both sides operate the same gear. Many fakes were circulated at the start, including airborne footage from 2015, images from video games, and a short lived video on social media that was taken down around day 2 of the war, showing supposed russian gear destroyed, only for the video to still have ukrainian markings with rus half assed painted on the armor, and the armor being shown looked like a defensive position not offensive, like they were hit in an air strike and hastily painted to made appear to be the enemy equipment.

Part of the problem with that image is that russia and ukraine both use flankers, and even use identical blue and white camo for them, short of serial numbers the easiest identifier is whether or not it has the russian star on the tail or wings, which there is not enough of the jet left to tell.

The other thing too is the terrain, it is featureless and looks like it might be desert, without a wider view there is no way to prove the image is even in ukraine, and not an image of a jet wrecked in training, or shot down years ago over syria during that conflict.

There has been many lies and fakes from both sides, and both sides operate the same gear. Many fakes were circulated at the start, including airborne footage from 2015, images from video games, and a short lived video on social media that was taken down around day 2 of the war, showing supposed russian gear destroyed, only for the video to still have ukrainian markings with rus half assed painted on the armor, and the armor being shown looked like a defensive position not offensive, like they were hit in an air strike and hastily painted to made appear to be the enemy equipment.

Part of the problem with that image is that russia and ukraine both use flankers, and even use identical blue and white camo for them, short of serial numbers the easiest identifier is whether or not it has the russian star on the tail or wings, which there is not enough of the jet left to tell.

The other thing too is the terrain, it is featureless and looks like it might be desert, without a wider view there is no way to prove the image is even in ukraine, and not an image of a jet wrecked in training, or shot down years ago over syria during that conflict.
There’s one difference though, some ukranian aircraft are painted with a digital camouflage scheme. The Russians from what I’ve seen do not use a digital pattern for aircraft camouflage.

This is the Ukranian

D5C68F8B-6697-4886-9E61-1D973FA4B6F7.jpeg

You can see pixels.

Russia uses several camouflage schemes depending on where the aircraft is based and whether it’s part of a ground attack or air defense squadron on their Sukhois.

But they’re all ones using rounded “splotches”

Of course this is hard to tell from most cameras on the ground because the camera can’t catch more then a silhouette.

8766DF63-D4F4-4CB2-80B9-F7367515FB64.jpeg

There’s one difference though, some ukranian aircraft are painted with a digital camouflage scheme. The Russians from what I’ve seen do not use a digital pattern for aircraft camouflage.

This is the Ukranian

View attachment 67378494

You can see pixels.

Russia uses several camouflage schemes depending on where the aircraft is based and whether it’s part of a ground attack or air defense squadron on their Sukhois.

But they’re all ones using rounded “splotches”

Of course this is hard to tell from most cameras on the ground because the camera can’t catch more then a silhouette.

View attachment 67378495
Yes ukraine is the side using digital camo, however ukraine also uses the blue and white non digital camo.

From your pictures though it proves my point, the easiest identifier is the symbol on the wings and tail, russia uses the red star, while ukraine uses a symbol in the shape of a shield.

Ukraine also had white tips as well as gray and black tips on their flankers as well, so that alone would not make it russian.

Ukraine as gray tips on their Sukhois, not white.

That image is from 1996. The Ukrainians repainted their Sukhois after 2014 to the gray-tip digital sky blue camo we see today.
I can not find full information on how many or if all or not were repainted then, nor how many have come out of storage since then either(I think they had 6 left in use only a few years ago but got the number up to 12 recently).

However the gray tip would mean a modernized one, and it is highly possible though ukraine had some older white black and green tip aircraft pulled from storage and put back in service without full modernization.

From what I could research on it the tip color had to do with era and location of the old soviet jets, the white color was fairly prominent in russia because that dielectric paint was easily available, older jets were green and black, and newer ones were gray and white, with the color usually indicating the region it was last painted at and not where it was currently serving at.

Anybody know?

4Gc2QIOm.jpg
SU-30

Back
Top Bottom