• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there anything we think the government cannot accomplish?

NolaMan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Was reading an editorial in the WSJ by Dan Henninger that I thought was pretty good. In part, he comments:

Re-read Barack Obama's nomination-acceptance speech in Denver, an amazing compendium of promises ending with: "America, we cannot turn back (applause) not with so much work to be done; not with so many children to educate, and so many veterans to care for; not with an economy to fix, and cities to rebuild, and farms to save; not with so many families to protect and so many lives to mend."

The speaker of those words can't stop the oil, but his language shows how indiscriminate faith in government omnipotence has become, and how incapable the believers are of targeting discrete goals, rather than vapor-filled clouds such as "saving the planet" or "mending lives."

Makes you stop and think, every time something bad happens, the reaction is "where was the government?"

Sub-prime lending - Why did the government allow it to happen?
Katrina - Why was the government response so poor?
Gulf Oil Spill - Why has the government been so slow to respond?

In all seriousness, it does seem that people want the government to do everything. For those on the Left, go figure, but even those on the Right have been demanding to know what Obama is going to do about the oil spill.

My question is this. What do we think is out there that we do not (at least in the back of our minds) think that the government should not accomplish?

I think this is a sad statement, and this mentality must be changed.

Was reading an editorial in the WSJ by Dan Henninger that I thought was pretty good. In part, he comments:

Makes you stop and think, every time something bad happens, the reaction is "where was the government?"

Sub-prime lending - Why did the government allow it to happen?
Katrina - Why was the government response so poor?
Gulf Oil Spill - Why has the government been so slow to respond?

In all seriousness, it does seem that people want the government to do everything. For those on the Left, go figure, but even those on the Right have been demanding to know what Obama is going to do about the oil spill.

My question is this. What do we think is out there that we do not (at least in the back of our minds) think that the government should not accomplish?

I think this is a sad statement, and this mentality must be changed.

In order for this 'mind set' to be altered the US would need to revert back to the time when Children were taught to respect People, by their Parents.
When the rule of Law was respected.
When those who were elected to serve the people did so because they thought it an honor to do so.

Back
Top Bottom