• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is the death penalty more cruel than life in prison?

millsy said:
Okay, you probably don't deserve an answer to this:mrgreen: since it was asked in such a 4th grade school yard manner ("militant liberal? sounds like a volvo with a gun rack"(robin williams):rofl )

But, here goes nothing.

If somebody did something to harm my family would I want to see them put to death? Absolutely not, I would want to do it myself (I stole that line from a TV show) and I wouldn't want it to be quick and easy. I would make it slow and painful, Al Queda style.

This is why I don't believe that fathers of murdered baby daughters should be the ones making decisions about our justice system (stole that one too, same tv show).

Decisions should be made with intelect based on what we, the people, believe to be right, not decided by knee jerk emotional reactions.

I'm the exact opposite on this subject. As a mom of three young boys I feel that if someone takes my children away from me it should be up to my husband and I to decide how that person should be punished (beyond the state's minimum required punishment of course). The decision should not be left to the "intellect" of people who's children are still alive and tucked in bed safely and what they believe to be right. It's much easier to have sympathy for a brutal child murderer when your own kids are safe and sound.

C.J. said:
It depends on the number of years actually served under a LIP sentence and the cost per year. The high figure of $50,000+- per year year is used by the pro-DP folks, justified by the use of more secure containment for DP equivalent lifers, and the lower $30,000+- is used by the anti DP folks and is justified by putting DP equivalent lifers in the general prison population.

LIP for example:
$.74 million less $75,000 trial costs=$665,000 @ $30,000 per year= 22.1 years, less ($520,000) than the cost of DP @$1.26 million. It would take another 17.3 years (Totaling 39.4 years) to reach the cost of the DP.

$.74 million less $75,000 trial costs=$665,000 @ $50,000 per year= 13.3 years, less ($520,000) than the cost of DP@$1.26 million. It would take another 10.4 years (Totaling 23.7 years) to reach the cost of the DP.

Regards,

"C.J."

That's interesting information you have, C.J., do you have a source for it?

Duke

Back
Top Bottom