• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is The Bible Open To Interpretation?

His thoughts are not rational and accurate. They are secular and formed in the mind of a demon possessed man. He was a liar.

To deny the existence of God is unpardonable. Do you understand that? Call it a slur or whatever you want, but to reject Christ and what He offers in the way of saving grace; for that there is no remedy.
I can truly feel God's love emanating off you.

Your interpretation seems right. Your understanding might need some help though. Simple question. What do you know about blood oaths in relationship to revenge? The reason I ask is even if the orphans managed to survive on their own (which might have involved a very cruel existence) the mindset of those surviving would seek revenge when they grew up. Even if the Israelis adopted them this threat would still be hanging over their heads. What would you suggest they did with the children knowing they might end up butchering your family down the road?

I would suggest that instead of taking revenge on people for events that those people had nothing to do with by slaughtering their little children and infants, they could tell Samuel to go peddle the ravings of his tyrant God somewhere else. Maybe they could build some nice poles to honor Asherah instead.

I would suggest that instead of taking revenge on people for events that those people had nothing to do with by slaughtering their little children and infants, they could tell Samuel to go peddle the ravings of his tyrant God somewhere else. Maybe they could build some nice poles to honor Asherah instead.
Are you oppose to war? Or just those that involve collateral damage.

Are you oppose to war? Or just those that involve collateral damage.

Collateral Damage: injury inflicted on something other than an intended target

When children and infants are specified in the mission briefing as primary targets, you can't call that 'collateral damage.'

Lol.

I deny the existence of God.

Will your God punish me for that?
Every decision in life brings consequences. Good or bad. To accept Jesus Christ is a good decision. To reject Him is a bad decision.

Every decision in life brings consequences. Good or bad. To accept Jesus Christ is a good decision. To reject Him is a bad decision.
Why is it a bad descision?

Why is it a bad descision?

Because he is a jealous, spiteful, vengeful God who will visit iniquity upon your children, and your children's children, the children of your children's children, and so on.

"I, Jehovah, thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me;" -Deuteronomy 5:9

Just ask the Amalekites. Oh wait, you can't. Because genocide.

Because he is a jealous, spiteful, vengeful God who will visit iniquity upon your children, and your children's children, the children of your children's children, and so on.

"I, Jehovah, thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me;" -Deuteronomy 5:9

I am always amazed by how immoral and petty they believe their God to be.

Last edited:

It's interesting that you capitilize the word "god". Anyways, the interpretation of the scriptures is ok. Your understanding of the times seem a bit off. Still, did you not note the last three words of the cited passage? It might shed understanding on the subject. Hate has consequences. For one thing, it's not healthy.

It's interesting that you capitilize the word "god". Anyways, the interpretation of the scriptures is ok. Your understanding of the times seem a bit off. Still, did you not note the last three words of the cited passage? It might shed understanding on the subject. Hate has consequences. For one thing, it's not healthy.

I understand such capitalization to be the literary convention. Perhaps I miscapitalized in that context is I wasn't technically using it as a proper noun.

I agree that hate isn't healthy. I don't actually hate characters from literature.

I would make the same case against Thanos and Vader. It's cool that Thanos wanted to save the universe and that Vader eventually killed Palpatine. They are still villains though. Murdering children and committing genocide pretty much makes you a villain.

I understand such capitalization to be the literary convention. Perhaps I miscapitalized in that context is I wasn't technically using it as a proper noun.

I agree that hate isn't healthy. I don't actually hate characters from literature.

I would make the same case against Thanos and Vader. It's cool that Thanos wanted to save the universe and that Vader eventually killed Palpatine. They are still villains though. Murdering children and committing genocide pretty much makes you a villain.
I didn't claim you did hate anyone. Not sure how you're making that connection from what I said. I was just pointing out the context of the verse including the hatefulness of the children. And you agree with hate being an unhealthy attitude that has consequences. I look at it in the sense that due to their hatred of God, He had no choice but to allow the consequences to visit them.

That's also an interpretation. Have you started your own religious denomination yet?
It's the interpretation I believe to be correct. You have your beliefs and I have mine. Can you prove mine are wrong? I want nothing to do with organized religion, why would I start one?

I didn't claim you did hate anyone. Not sure how you're making that connection from what I said. I was just pointing out the context of the verse including the hatefulness of the children. And you agree with hate being an unhealthy attitude that has consequences. I look at it in the sense that due to their hatred of God, He had no choice but to allow the consequences to visit them.

There is a pretty wide gulf between "Luke needs to let go of his hatred of Palpatine as part of his hero's journey," and "Palpatine was actually a loving, benevolent and infallible ruler who had no choice but to allow the consequences of the Alderaanians resistance visit them by building a superweapon and blowing up their planet."

"I, Jehovah, thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me;" has to be one of the most over-the-top villainous lines in all of literature.

It's the interpretation I believe to be correct. You have your beliefs and I have mine. Can you prove mine are wrong? I want nothing to do with organized religion, why would I start one?
I'm not interested in proving you wrong. You expressed an opinion/interpretation. That's how new denominations are started. You could call it: The First Church of Bullcrap. :)

There is a pretty wide gulf between "Luke needs to let go of his hatred of Palpatine as part of his hero's journey," and "Palpatine was actually a loving, benevolent and infallible ruler who had no choice but to allow the consequences of the Alderaanians resistance visit them by building a superweapon and blowing up their planet."

"I, Jehovah, thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me;" has to be one of the most over-the-top villainous lines in all of literature.
You're fixated on this one point. I understand that you think the biblical god is evil, but what does that have to do with interpretation?

You asked what God would do, didn't you?
Can you show that is true? Or, is that just what some ancient people made up and wrote to push their views on others?

You're fixated on this one point. I understand that you think the biblical god is evil, but what does that have to do with interpretation?

It has to do with the bizarre interpretation of the jealous, vindictive god being the heroic protagonist and the plucky band of rebels who go up against hopeless odds, fighting an army literally twice their size, and an omnipotent, omniscient tyrant as the villains. And, of course, with how my own interpretation differs from the mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom