• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it Worth Going to War over Taiwan??

Is it worth going to war over Taiwan?? Thanks!!

• Yes, but only with China

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • No, not for any reason

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Yes, although it will start WWIII, it's worth it

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • If Taiwan needs help, let the Asians pitch in

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters
If we go to war with China over Taiwan, it would be an unmitigated disaster, very similar to Vietnam, unless we actually DECLARE war with China, which would probably result in a World War. We are very dependent on China and vice versa economically, so it may be that Taiwan becomes another sacrifice to Communism. I know for certain that I am against any major military engagements that are not declared wars. What do you think?? Thanks!!
China is not going to invade Taiwan because if they do they know they will face international sanctions that will weaken their economy. There is one thing the regime fears the most and that is a rebellion from within caused by a dissatisfied population. They have set very high standards for that satisfaction too.

Just like we enjoy being subject to China's control of precious metals that we need for our technology products.
Vegas, do you really think that China is going to play fair when it comes to making high technology semiconductor components available to us given increased global tensions.?
You believe in the goodness of global adversaries.
I don't care. Then we just make our own chips. Im not in favor of sending kids to die so you can get the latest iphone

No it doesn't. How is it even possible to be in rebellion against a regime that has never controlled or even occupied an area?

Ask the international community. They are the ones who recognize China as the legal owner of Taiwan.

Why would China destroy the world economy? Do you think they are suicidal?

If they invade Taiwan, they will have that effect.

I don't think that's true at all. China is a major power, but they still don't have our capabilities. Anything they can do to us we can do bigger.

They may want to take control of Taiwan, but now you're talking about them starting WWIII. I think they would take control of Taiwan if it's easy and nobody puts up much of a fight, but if they got punched in the nose real hard from the international community it's a whole different ball game to try and escalate and take on the U.S.
You could be right. But, then again, you could have been talking to Secy of State Winkin Blinkin who apparently doesn't know shit about foreign affairs after overseeing the Afghanistan fiasco. And if you don't consider that cluster-f to be a fiasco, then I don't know if you know much about how China is beefing up its military not only on the land and sea but also in space.

Taiwan is actually that kind of challenge that determines who is the top dog. I don't thing both will come to blows. They are eyeballing each other. If the US blinks the baton passes over to Fu Manchu. It will be the gradual end of Pax Americana and the rise to leadership of China
If they so win this competition it will be economically not through war. That is what we need to worry about.

You could be right. But, then again, you could have been talking to Secy of State Winkin Blinkin who apparently doesn't know shit about foreign affairs after overseeing the Afghanistan fiasco. And if you don't consider that cluster-f to be a fiasco, then I don't know if you know much about how China is beefing up its military not only on the land and sea but also in space.
They are 30 years behind us at least

Too bad for Tibet that they don't produce anything more valuable than yak butter and felt yurts, I guess.
Yes, too bad for them.
This isn't about defending a democracy from a dictatorship, It's about maintaing access to cheap-labour industrial output.
Cheap-labor industrial output? That sounds a lot more like China than Taiwan.

If they invade Taiwan, they will have that effect.
That will put the regime in danger and that is why it will not happen. Everyone fails to realize the regime gets its power from the economy of China.

I don't care. Then we just make our own chips. Im not in favor of sending kids to die so you can get the latest iphone
My iPhone is two generations old but works fine.
No one wants a large scale war. It's a question of deterrence and that means a strong military defense from us in the Taiwan Straits.

My iPhone is two generations old but works fine.
No one wants a large scale war. It's a question of deterrence and that means a strong military defense from us in the Taiwan Straits.
If china attacks taiwan we should not let a single american die in that internal matter

China isn’t going to invade Taiwan. They would gain nothing of value for very high costs.

That will put the regime in danger and that is why it will not happen. Everyone fails to realize the regime gets its power from the economy of China.

This entire thread is about that possibility.

Right. Not all democracies, just this one. I'm not talking about defending some nominally democratic regime against a nominally less-democratic regime in some backwater that nobody cares about.

This is simply false. Allowing China to take Taiwan would be correctly viewed as incredible weakness and appeasement by the Chinese, the Russians, the North Koreans, and lots of other regimes around the world. Russia would probably interpret it as meaning that we aren't going to defend the Baltic states against Russian aggression either...and regardless of whether they are right or wrong about that, it would greatly increase the costs of inaction in Taiwan.

No country is going to say "Oh well, the US didn't have a formal alliance with Taiwan, this surely has no implications anywhere else in the world," because national leaders and military strategists are not pedants. They look at the way countries actually behave in practice.
None the less we will not fight a nuclear war with China over Taiwan and neither will China. They will never risk the international sanctions that will result from invading Taiwan. That is their deterrent.

Ask the international community. They are the ones who recognize China as the legal owner of Taiwan.
A non-answer, a referral to some abstract entity for a question you won't answer, and a factually incorrect description of America's actual position. You hit the trifecta.

I doubt that you have done the requisite research to determine that.
Anyone can throw out a number. That's what these threads are for.

The gaps in military strength between China and the U.S. are closing fast.

They have 2 carriers. We have 11. They have little ability to project power forward. They are a defensive army that can well defend an invasion only.

These are facts

None the less we will not fight a nuclear war with China over Taiwan and neither will China.
I agree. I have no desire to see any conflict go nuclear. But a more contained war in the Strait of Taiwan and the South China Sea seems like a very real risk.
They will never risk the international sanctions that will result from invading Taiwan. That is their deterrent.
I hope you are right, but I think it may be wishful thinking. China is certainly acting like they want to invade Taiwan, and I think it would be a mistake to dismiss it as saber-rattling. There's no doubt they would willing to accept some consequences in exchange for Taiwan. But I agree that the best way to deter an invasion is to make those consequences unacceptably severe.

I agree. I have no desire to see any conflict go nuclear. But a more contained war in the Strait of Taiwan and the South China Sea seems like a very real risk.

I hope you are right, but I think it may be wishful thinking. China is certainly acting like they want to invade Taiwan, and I think it would be a mistake to dismiss it as saber-rattling. There's no doubt they would willing to accept some consequences in exchange for Taiwan. But I agree that the best way to deter an invasion is to make those consequences unacceptably severe.
If its a problem let europe send its carriers to taiwan

A non-answer, a referral to some abstract entity for a question you won't answer, and a factually incorrect description of America's actual position. You hit the trifecta.

So America recognizes Taiwan as sovereign over its territory?

It’s about as realistic as the US invading Canada.
What's in Canada that we would want? Maple syrup?
I like Calgary and Toronto and Victoria.
Nice places to visit but would they be worth an invasion?

What's in Canada that we would want? Maple syrup?
I like Calgary and Toronto and Victoria.
Nice places to visit but would they be worth an invasion?

What natural resources does Taiwan have that China wants?

Don’t reference their industry because that would be rubble.

So America recognizes Taiwan as sovereign over its territory?
Yes it does. Which is not the same as recognizing it as an independent nation. America's official position is to preserve the status quo on Taiwan, which means nodding to the "One country, two systems" fiction.

Yes it does. Which is not the same as recognizing it as an independent nation. America's official position is to preserve the status quo on Taiwan, which means nodding to the "One country, two systems" fiction.

Then it isn’t sovereign.

Back
Top Bottom